Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
Pbuckley

Default Making a Weird Affliction

Want to make a weird affliction that makes it so that a portion of any damage the target receives goes to the caster instead. Can i get a couple of solid suggestions for how to pull this off?
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Making a Weird Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
Want to make a weird affliction that makes it so that a portion of any damage the target receives goes to the caster instead. Can i get a couple of solid suggestions for how to pull this off?
You could Afflict or Side Effect: Leech (Ranged, Malediction 2, etc) but it's actually much easier to do as a Healing variant.

I'd suggest: Healing (Empathic -50%; Injuries Only -20%; Ranged 40%; Reflexive* +40%). Requires an IQ roll to use at -3 for repeated successful uses on the same subject until a day has elapsed. Up to once per turn you can take any amount of damage that someone else would that's within your range. The user chooses how much to heal the target.

*Reflexive so it happens as others take damage and so it doesn't require a maneuver on your part.

You can add Reliable to offset reuse and penalties for healing other things than just damage such as crippling.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
Pbuckley

Wouldn't that also require a to hit roll?
Old 08-24-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

I created a Blessed version based on Sympathy from Allies to do this in my games.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #5
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I created a Blessed version based on Sympathy from Allies to do this in my games.
Can I find this published anywhere? If not would could you teach me this power?
Old 08-24-2022, 09:55 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Can I find this published anywhere? If not would could you teach me this power?
It's not. But I can pull it from my campaign files. Can I get back to you tomorrow? I'm about to get some sleep and it's my mellow down time at the moment.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #7
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
It's not. But I can pull it from my campaign files. Can I get back to you tomorrow? I'm about to get some sleep and it's my mellow down time at the moment.
No problem. Thanks for the swift reply, look foreword to it.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:29 AM   #8
naloth

Quote:
Wouldn't that also require a to hit roll?
Technically yes. The way around either high IA skill or Homing + as much Accuracy as you want. If you pair it with another ranged attack power, high skill is probably good enough.

For just the healing ray, I'd let you throw in a "no nuisance rolls" perk onto a final skill of 17+ to remove unnecessary rolling since you almost always hit, the effect isn't an attack (it's actually beneficial), and you have to roll against IQ as well.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
No problem. Thanks for the swift reply, look foreword to it.
Cursory look has not revealed it for some reason. I remember the mechanics of it as it was often used. Cost was 50 for anyone, 40 for a specific group, 30 for specific person. You spent a turn Concentrating to activate it and as long as you were within 10 yards of the subject you took half the damage of your subject. It could then be further modified with Increased Range for longer ranges. I called it "My Brother's Keeper"

Poke me by Monday if I haven't gotten back to you. I know I wrote down the guts of this *somewhere.*

Become a Patron!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:12 PM   #10
Pbuckley

Will do, I'd still very much like to see it. Even if I did end up making something, that I am pretty proud of in the meantime, which I need feedback on. I used the Drains Familiar modifier as a basis for a "Damages Caster" modifier, which I applied to DR.

Flesh of my Flesh
Keywords: Buff, Minor Ritual (10 Minutes).
Full Cost: 16 points/level.
Casting Roll: Ritual Magic (Edonic), Augmented by Subjects HT.
Components: V, S, M (2 Sacred Seeds).
Range: Touch
Duration: 30 Minutes, +30 Minutes per Subjects Margin of Success.
The caster performs a ritual to link his life force with that of a willing subject. During the ritual both the caster and the subject consume a sacred seed and sit or stand back-to-back for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the Caster will roll against his Ritual Magic (Edonic). Provided the caster did not flub the ritual, the subject will then make an HT save, on a success the ritual worked, and the subject will receive its benefits for a period of 30 minutes, multiplied by the subject’s margin of success. However, either the caster, or subject may choose to terminate the link with a command word at any time.

While the subject remains under the effects of the ritual, the caster receives a portion of any damage the subject receives in their stead. The portion of damage that the caster may absorb in this manner can range between 1 to 5 points, as determined by the caster upon completion of the ritual. Notably, the absorbed damage is converted to “raw damage”, therefore it ignores the casters DR, but does not apply damage modifiers, nor does it pay any respect to hit locations. However, this protection does not extend to any effect that requires a scratch (e.g., poison) or skin contact (e.g., electrical shock or Pressure Points skill) if the attack carrying it penetrates the DR of any armor the subject is wearing – even if it does exactly 0 damage. Furthermore, this effect counts as flexible DR for the purposes of calculating blunt force trauma.

Statistics: Affliction (Advantage; Damage Resistance 5 [DR: 5, Internal, Tough Skin, Damages Caster, Magical], +80%; Cancelation, +10%; Extended Duration [x30], +60%; Preparation Required [10 Minutes], -30%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Requires Skill Roll [Ritual Magic], -10%; Trigger [2 Sacred Seeds], -20%; Magical, -10%; Pact, -10%) [16 per Level]

A big reason I made the spell this way, is because I have been wanting to add “Ritual Spells” into my games. I typically use Sorcery, or Powers in general because I and my players generally hate pretty much every other power system. So, the idea behind Rituals is that they require a ritual to be performed in exchange for allowing the players to gain access to more potent, or long-term effects which I would not normally allow otherwise.

Last edited by Pbuckley; 08-25-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Tags
gurps 4e, theorycraft