Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: do disadvantage categories restrict Temporary Disadvantages options for limitatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
The slow-down drug from the Dredd movie?
That was closest to Enhanced Time Sense, but combined with a high that rendered you unable to react (basically, stunning with a special effect). Additionally, that's the effect of a drug, not something a person can just turn on and off.

Now, I could see utility and a certain degree of logic to Danger Sense (TD: DTR). It's basically a case of devoting a huge amount of your mental processing to scanning the area for danger, leaving you slow to act, but isn't really something a baseline human could do (and honestly isn't realistic, but I could see it used as a justification). For the utility, it's something you'd turn on when expecting trouble to make it harder to get the jump on you, then turn off once combat starts.

EDIT: In general, it's often best to think of Temporary Disadvantage as being the Disadvantage in question with "Only while using this Advantage" as a Limitation on it. If the Disadvantage isn't available, it's unlikely to be available as a Temporary Disadvantage. Additionally, Temporary Disadvantage is itself probably an exotic/supernatural modifier, and thus typically unavailable for baseline humans.

Last edited by Varyon; 05-16-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: do disadvantage categories restrict Temporary Disadvantages options for limitatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Which must look hilarious - short bursts of speed followed by standing absolutely still.
That's more of a game mechanic issue than a real-world description of how the disadvantage works. If you want to be pedantic the entire GURPS combat system must look hilarious - shorts bursts of people running 5-6 yards or swinging away with their sword and then waiting 0.9 seconds doing nothing while the next guy does the same, and the next, until it's finally their turn to act again and they act furiously then wait.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-16-2020 at 08:38 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
In other words, you want somebody to be able to sense danger, then start moving and thinking so slowly that he can't get out of danger?
Sounds more like he's going for "Partial Concentration Required". You can Sense Danger, but only if you're focused on doing so -- but not as focused as the Concentrate Maneuver calls for. More like just distracted.

DTR leaves you effectively with half Move (moving every other turn). The text doesn't say anything about effects on Active Defenses, nor is there a penalty for doing things while under the influence, other than Long Tasks will take twice as much wall clock time for the same number of turns. Skill rolls are unaffected.

I'm not sure the difference there is really worth modelling instead of just taking Requires Concentrate on the Danger Sense. (If that takes one turn, then you've effectively got the every-other-turn effect of DTR. You lose an attack to do Danger Sense, you lose almost all of a Move -- save the Step.) So it would only make sense to do so if the goal was also to have a long concentration time (multiple pairs of turns, at least, if not the non-combat timescales like ten seconds or a minute -- in which case the listed effects of DTR will hardly matter). You might buy some Extra Move (Only During Concentration) if the object is simply not to be stuck in one place. If you literally want to lose every other turn, you try something like Backlash (Stun). A general distraction penalty to anything you might attempt while concentrating could be priced as Temporary Disad (-DX, -IQ) -- though DTR doesn't inflict any penalties; Concentrate already gives you the Will - 3 distraction roll, which at least narratively suggests something like distraction on the ability, though it works backwards (no penalty on the interrupting action, but a roll to maintain the ongoing effect). You might prefer to buy a Condition like Pain or Euphoria with the desired level of ill effect and just redefine the narrative special effects.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #14
Plane

Quote:
In other words, you want somebody to be able to sense danger, then start moving and thinking so slowly that he can't get out of danger?

I definitely would not allow this one.
That would be if you had Aftermath: Decreased Time Rate.

If it's just a TD then you could just spend a 1-second ready maneuver to switch it off to regain your full speed.

This wouldn't help in dodging rapid-onset danger but could help with longer-term dangers like "a missile will strike in two minutes".

"enough of a warning that you can take action" is pretty flexible though perhaps it doesn't assume "and have one second to spare to take a maneuver not dedicated to getting out of dodge as quick as possible"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #15
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That would be if you had Aftermath: Decreased Time Rate.

If it's just a TD then you could just spend a 1-second ready maneuver to switch it off to regain your full speed.

This wouldn't help in dodging rapid-onset danger but could help with longer-term dangers like "a missile will strike in two minutes".

"enough of a warning that you can take action" is pretty flexible though perhaps it doesn't assume "and have one second to spare to take a maneuver not dedicated to getting out of dodge as quick as possible"
Since I view danger sense as a weak version of Peter Parker's Spidey Sense, I see it as passive. Slowing down against a nearby danger could be fatal. And due to the slow-down effect, I think it would take two turns to turn it off. In which case, it might just activate again if the danger isn't gone.

I think that a previous suggestion to require concentrate would be more useful.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #16
Plane

Quote:
due to the slow-down effect, I think it would take two turns to turn it off.
It still takes 1 Ready but that ready would take 2 seconds to do since DTR is in effect, which is a good point.

Quote:
In which case, it might just activate again if the danger isn't gone.
I don't think it would switch on by itself unless you took the "Reflexive" enhancement on it.

Reflexive and Temporary Disadvantages would be taboo modifiers that can't coexist though (I think?) because Reflexive is taken on 1-second abilities to reduce their activation time to a free action, but Temporary Disadvantages is only allowed if activation time is at least 1 second.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I don't think it would switch on by itself unless you took the "Reflexive" enhancement on it.
Danger Sense is described as passive in Basic p47.

Quote:
If you have Danger Sense, the GM rolls once against your Perception, secretly, in any situation involving an ambush, impending disaster, or similar hazard.
To me this implies that it would turn itself on again. I'd suggest a different Temporary Disadvantage.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #18
Plane

Quote:
Danger Sense is described as passive in Basic p47.

To me this implies that it would turn itself on again. I'd suggest a different Temporary Disadvantage.
I guess the way I imagined is that if you look at Danger Sense as "always on" by default (ie the capacity to passively sense danger is always on) then switchable turns it off.

I think passive is more like "do I need to take an effort to use it" and when it's switched on you don't...

But for passive abilities that you can switch off, I think the actual switching it on is still an active aspect.

Like with auras/quills for example, damaging foes who hit you is passive, but switching the aura on/off or bringing quills/spines in/out (if switchable) would be active.