Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
AbrahamLincoln

Default Cancelling a disaster that affects every character

Hello. First time poster, quite new to the game.

We were playing a 5 player game of Munchkin Apocalypse last night, and the seal 'History Repeats Itself' was opened (which stipulates that the last 'Disaster' card played hits every player).

I was a Militia (allowing a disaster to be cancelled if two cards are discarded), another of the party had a Disaster Proof Tent (which stipulates that you can 'avoid the effects' of a disaster), and another member had a card that, if played immediately, 'cancelled the disaster'.

So, the seal was opened, the first player played the Tent, and was able to avoid the effects. I then discarded two cards, in the belief that the disaster wouldn't affect me. Another then played his card to cancel the disaster, again in the hope that it wouldn't affect him.

Since this is an unusual case, as the disaster is hitting every player, does one player cancelling the disaster cancel it for just their character or for the entire party (every character)?

We disagreed, arguments ensued and persist.

Thanks in advance :)
AbrahamLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Cancelling a disaster that affects every character

On Christmas, we had History Repeating the one that makes you discard 1d6 cards from your hand. All four of us rolled high and had no cards for several turns.

The History Repeats Itself states that the player who opens the seal cannot escape the Disaster's effect. This implies that the other players CAN escape the effects.

In this post http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...24&postcount=3 Andrew states that a Militia player can cancel it for just himself. Thus, each player, except the player who opened the seal, could cancel their own copy of the Disaster.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Clipper

Hmm, looking at the cards again, I just realised something we missed in the earlier thread. The Militia ability states it can cancel a Disaster that has just been played, but in the case of History Repeats Itself, the Disaster is never played, so the Militia ability shouldn't be able to be used.

Given that this type of restriction is usually taken very literally (with rulings on cards like Sandals of Protection in Munchkin), this should be the case, but it also contradicts Andrew's earlier ruling, so we will need to wait for his comment to see if the argument is valid. It could be a case of the wording not matching the intent.

In any case, I would agree that the ruling shows that this particular case of comprehensive Disasters allows you to avoid the Curse just for yourself (due to the statement that the person who opened the Seal can't cancel it).
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I would allow the Militia to use their ability in this case. The wording on Militia doesn't contemplate the situation in which a Disaster happens without being played because it's pretty rare.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
AbrahamLincoln

Thanks for the clarification and the help, but would the use of the ability by the Militia cancel the disaster for just him, or for every other player too?
AbrahamLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Brf

In this post http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...24&postcount=3 Andrew states that a Militia player can cancel it for just himself.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
StapMyVitals

I was actually in this position recently, but it was the Presidential Decree card that caused the disagreement in that game, because of the wording "cancels a disaster". It seemed pretty clear to me that if the Militia ability only blocks the disaster for the Militia player, then Presidential Decree would only work on the person who played it. Unfortunately the player who couldn't block the disaster doesn't like to be wrong and kept arguing the point because nothing on the internet specifically said "Presidential Decree only stops the disaster for the munchkin who plays it in the case of the History Repeats Itself seal being opened".

Some clarification on whether any card at all cancels a disaster for all players in this situation would probably stop this argument ever happening again.
StapMyVitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

When a Disaster is applied to all players by History Repeats Itself!, any measure taken to cancel that Disaster works only for the player using it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote