Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #21
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaldon View Post
OK, I found the problem.

Turn off Controlled Folder Access.

I turned it off and now GCA seems to be working.
I'm glad you got it working. Thank you for letting me know what the problem was, so that we can try to address it.

I had never even heard of this feature until now. Seems kinda iffy on Microsoft's part that they don't *tell you* that some program you have not whitelisted is trying to access the folders you protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Sounds worth detecting in the installer.
I haven't found a way to do that, yet. I'll definitely look at adding some traps to the early file and folder creation steps that GCA takes, though, as that way it can then warn the user that it lacks permission to write to Documents. Don't know why I don't have that there already, actually.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #22
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I had never even heard of this feature until now. Seems kinda iffy on Microsoft's part that they don't *tell you* that some program you have not whitelisted is trying to access the folders you protected.
I hadn't heard of it either, because it's disabled if you install another anti-virus program. I think it's also disabled by default even if you're using Defender as your anti-virus program.

If you want to use it and GCA at the same time, add GCA to its whitelist.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #23
avt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'm glad you got it working. Thank you for letting me know what the problem was, so that we can try to address it.

I haven't found a way to do that, yet. I'll definitely look at adding some traps to the early file and folder creation steps that GCA takes, though, as that way it can then warn the user that it lacks permission to write to Documents. Don't know why I don't have that there already, actually.
I do not claim expertise with Windows Defender, but what I found at one point was that three was an "Unlock" checkbox in the Properties of the file for the application. I checked that and it started working. This was for the GCA4 update; I don't know if this is relevant to GCA 5 Beta. Easy fix once I found it, anyway.
avt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:22 PM   #24
Boge

I really liked the GCA4 character sheet view where I could click and adjust things from there. I don't see that here.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #25
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I really liked the GCA4 character sheet view where I could click and adjust things from there. I don't see that here.
It's the Sheet view. The standard Official Character Sheet sheet included is not currently set up to allow editing directly on the sheet. (I set up my optional Color Block sheet to allow some on-sheet editing, as much to show that feature to sheet authors as anything else.)

Writing sheets for that view has always been a tremendous pain in the butt.

I will try to take some time soon to update the Official Character Sheet to allow on-sheet editing.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #26
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I was working on this today. I hope to have a version of the Official Character Sheet that allows a bunch of on-sheet editing available soon.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #27
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I have now updated Official Character Sheet to support on-sheet editing in Sheet View.

You can download the new sheet using the Updater (Help > Check for Updates).

If there are things you want to edit that you can't after updating, please let me know.

Thanks,

Armin
Old 06-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #28
Armin
GCA Prime

The second round Beta Preview installer is now available. If you're new to the thread, details in the first post.

You can find the installer available for download from the same location, which is here:

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/charac...etapreview.zip

If you want to validate the ZIP after download, there is a PAR2 file here:

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/charac...eview.zip.par2

The GCA5 installer is within the ZIP file.

If you already have the previous Beta Preview release installed, this should install smoothly over the top in the same location.

Once installed, this should be version 5.0.149.1. (The previous release was 5.0.1.137.)

If you are curious about what has changed, I post release notes for each build on my GCA5 Blog.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:51 AM   #29
Grakhirt

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

GCA5 works great. Very smooth. Nice interface. I found no bug up to now.

The only thing that I really miss is the Phoenix character sheet with its options.
Grakhirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
Farmer

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakhirt View Post
GCA5 works great. Very smooth. Nice interface. I found no bug up to now.

The only thing that I really miss is the Phoenix character sheet with its options.
Yup, me too!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca5