Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Costs Character Points - More Than One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
One use only never should be used in the same game as Costs FP. Their prices are in no way compatible.
You mean costs CP right?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You mean costs CP right?
Yeah. Fixed it already, but this ôn screen keyboard is stupidly slow. And keeps replacing my Os with ôs for sôme reason.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Angle

Perhaps we should try some examples, and see how we'd balance them. I'd been working with a basic example of ST Without HP 50 [400] (Permanent Disadvantage: Decreased ST 1, can be immediately bought off if character points are available.) If we give the modifier a value of 1/50 (1/(5*10 CP), using Peter K.'s equation) that gives us a total cost of 8 character points, which actually seems about right, considering that this is basically a plot ability, not a something that will see serious use.

For the more complicated variety, you have Izanagi: Extra Life (Multiple use, x5; Cosmic: Multiple people, any one event, +300%; Requires Sharingan Eye UB, -0%) [500] With (permanent Disadvantage: One eye or blindness and loss of sharingan UB, cannot be bought off, must steal a replacement eye.) Sharingan Eye is a 5-point Unusual Background, you get one for each eye. This one is much harder to price.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah. Fixed it already, but this ôn screen keyboard is stupidly slow. And keeps replacing my Os with ôs for sôme reason.
Long press calls variant letters, perhaps.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I can only really answer in terms of PU5, not only because that's the official stance, but because I completely and wholeheartedly agree with it:

The GM has to set the cost on any "costs character points" abilities, using the guidelines in PU5. He can set that cost anywhere from 1 point up to 1/5 the cost of the ability itself (as in, the amount you actually paid for it).

So unmodified Warp, as a "costs character points" ability, costs 20 points. The GM is then free to set the cost for using it at anywhere from 1 to 20 points; at 20 points, the assumption is that the ability is simply removed from the character sheet, effectively paying for itself.

But in all cases, the ability costs 1/5 of its normal value. Because basically, "costs character points" isn't intended as a simple modifier or price break -- it's a campaign-level decision as to how it'll be handled.
Okay, this is what I wanted, but that isn't what I read in PU5 - thanks PK, you guys, that pretty much answered my question. I really appreciate you guys offering up so many opinions so fast. It makes my work as a GM a ton easier today. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Long press calls variant letters, perhaps.
Yeah, and the funky O symbol is press-O-and-move-finger-left; no idea why the funky symbol only accidentally appears for O, though:p
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
Dwarf99

Personally I like the idea of paying regular CP for warp and allowing 1/10 the value as IP (which reset every session) for which you can straight up Buy Successes effectively allowing perfect Warps until you run out of IP, at which point you begin rolling.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
reddir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I can't help wondering what it looks like inside the character's head, though. How does the decision making process work? Does the character understand the opportunity cost involved in sacrificing a CP?
I see it as "burning karma".

The character earns "karma", character points, in the usual way (harmonizing with own nature, active in the plot, creating enjoyment for others, etc). Then, they get the chance to spend some of it.

Another way to look at it is by way of Terry Pratchett's "Narativium".
reddir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I can't help wondering what it looks like inside the character's head, though. How does the decision making process work? Does the character understand the opportunity cost involved in sacrificing a CP?
The usual model? "Magic costs you a piece of your soul".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character points, limitations