Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Icelander

Default TL3+1 Mechanical Artillery

In the real world, the invention and widespread adoption of gunpowder quickly made it impractical to continue the advancement of mechanical artillery. No matter how much spring steel ('crossbow' steel) and any number of pulleys and windlasses might have improved lower tech scorpions, arbalests, mangonels and onagers; it would ultimately have been less effective than bombards and cannon.

In a world where gunpowder is rare, unavailable or restricted, however, like many fantasy worlds, this does not apply. Faerun, for example, is a mature TL3+1 in many areas, with functionning TL3+2 gadgets in some areas.

So, how might the artillery devices in GURPS Low-Tech be improved by one or two tech levels of extra design and better materials? Has anyone gone over those tables and wondered?

All ideas welcome. Worked out stats even more welcome.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: TL3+1 Mechanical Artillery

TL 4 physics brings a much better theoretical understanding of mechanical devices. I think that a big innovation would be the ability to test artillery on paper first.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Ze'Manel Cunha

Compound bows, especially compound Xbows make for some significantly increased firepower which scale up in siege weaponry.

Nitroglycerin and other explosives, as well as Greek Fire and other incendiaries, are all completely different development path tracks from gunpowder, giving you the bang and burn without the chemical propellant guns.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Dangerious P. Cats

I suspect you'd get people making better/more efficient ways to draw/load crossbows and people would seek better ways to destroy castles. You might get some kind of ready to assemble trebuchets to reduce building time, and drilling soldiers in assembling would help also.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Jerron

Pumpkin Chuckin'. :P

Seriously, steam cannon are an excellent possibility, one which was attempted during the American Civil War. All reports indicate it was fairly successful, just not as good as gunpowder.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
Seriously, steam cannon are an excellent possibility, one which was attempted during the American Civil War.
And suggested rather earlier. Possibly much earlier. See GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1 for details.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Nitroglycerin and other explosives, as well as Greek Fire and other incendiaries, are all completely different development path tracks from gunpowder, giving you the bang and burn without the chemical propellant guns.
Not that different. For the explosives, it's nitrate chemistry either way. And saltpeter is a useful component of incendiaries too, though I don't know whether Greek Fire is likely to have used it.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Anthony

Well, improvements in materials, gearing, axles, and pulleys should gradually bump efficiency over the course of TL 3+1, generally resulting in some mix of weight reduction, crew size reduction, or rate of fire increase. While historically compound bows/crossbows are TL 7, they are probably possible at TL 6 and maybe TL 5, and have two major effects: they increase the maximum practical draw length of a bow or crossbow, and they modify the force curve, allowing somewhat more energy to be stored in a bow with a given draw length and draw strength. A TL 4+1 steel compound crossbow would use full ST for computing damage. In terms of actually new and different options, both vulcanized rubber and coil springs are TL 5.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
So, how might the artillery devices in GURPS Low-Tech be improved by one or two tech levels of extra design and better materials?
I'm thinking a trebuchet would be significantly more effective with some combination of improved pivots, standardized lead ammo, and reliable&repeatable shot release. A good understanding of ballistics wouldn't hurt either.

More range and accuracy.

Some sort of power take-off could be run along fortifications to power-reload crossbows.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
TL 4 physics brings a much better theoretical understanding of mechanical devices. I think that a big innovation would be the ability to test artillery on paper first.
Very good.

How would that affect the stats for them? What TL2-3 artillery devices suffer from design flaws that could be corrected at TL3+1?

Tags
artillery, crossbows, low-tech