Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Musical Instruments: Water & Pipe Organ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How big is a "loaf" actually?
One meal's worth of course.

Seriously, who cares? No price list is accurate enough it matters. Real world prices for identical items can easily vary by a factor of 2 depending on where you check them - my local grocery runs a buy one get one free deal on some brand or other of bread more weeks than not. People who insist on calculating these sorts of things to 2 or 3 decimal places are fooling themselves with imaginary precision.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #22
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [OT]Melnibone option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Near the beginning of Elric of Melnibone, it mentions "music slaves" who have been trained (and modified) to sing one perfect note each, and whose efforts are goaded by their masters through the infliction of pain. I don't believe any more detail than that was given. Is that the part you mean?
That is what I recall as well. Music produces through the torture of slaves. I do not recall the torture being described as being controlled in detail via some kind of organ keyboard system or the like.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
One meal's worth of course.

Seriously, who cares? No price list is accurate enough it matters. Real world prices for identical items can easily vary by a factor of 2 depending on where you check them - my local grocery runs a buy one get one free deal on some brand or other of bread more weeks than not. People who insist on calculating these sorts of things to 2 or 3 decimal places are fooling themselves with imaginary precision.
It's true that going for excessive precision is silly.

On the other hand, it is a distinctive feature of the iron age and medieval periods that food was scarce, and that those of the huge lower class were keenly aware of starvation as something that might happen to them (again). Therefore, taking an interest in the cost and availability of staple foods is priper.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #24
Polydamas

In those kinds of situations the buying power of grain tends to vary widely, with value highest just before harvest when the previous harvest was poor, and lowest just after a good harvest. I don't think that anything in the GURPS economic model should be taken too seriously ... there are academic books (and Harn Manor!) for people who want consistency and historical accuracy.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulos, low-tech, musical instruments, organ, pipe organ, water organ