Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 09-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
Nestyr

Default Minis for Classic Car Wars?

Hi all,

Long time lurker here (dont let the "join date" fool you - I first joined up when the internet was still a brand new thing. Yes, I am old...).

With the advent of relatively inexpensive resin printers, are there any resources out there for detailed minis that can be used for 1" scale Car Wars?

Is it likely SJG will produce 3D printer files for 1" scale Car Wars?

There's lots of stuff for "Hotwheels scale" Gaslands, and a few collections at 1:180 scale, with different levels of detail, but I haven't found anything yet which screams "print me"!

So, if it is allowed, and if you know of any good stl/ obj/ 3mf/ etc files for 1" Car Wars, whether they be Patreon, pay per file, free, etc, would you mind sharing with myself, and the rest of the class? :)

Cheers,

Last edited by Nestyr; 09-19-2022 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Brain malfunction
Nestyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: Minis for Classic Car Wars?

Can't speak for SJGames, so this is total speculation:

Nothing has been announced that I'm aware of, but I could definitely see 3d printable minis for Car Wars 6e happening in the future. CW has a strong base, FLGS distribution is ramping up, and the company has seen some real success with the Kickstarters for .stl files they've done so far for TFT.

I would not expect to see anything directly and specifically targeting 4e, but I could possibly see some minimum [and probably unofficial] testing being done to verify that the .stl files are basically workable if scaled down to 33%, i.e. 4e scale. [I can particularly see this for Car Wars minis, because Car Wars minis are pretty much the best case scenario for dynamically scaling the 3d printing - relatively low and wide, requiring an absolute minimum of supports.]

I don't think it'd be a huge priority for them, but if it's not a huge amount of extra work, I could see some lip service being paid to the idea that, at least unofficially, scaling the .stl files down to 4e scale should be workable.

I think that's about the maximum 4e can expect to see in terms of official support going forward.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:37 PM   #3
Overload

One Inch is is pretty small. What sort of resolution can you get with a 3D printer?

I have a bunch of old lead CW minis from the 80s, and they're not very good; again a resolution problem. You could figure out what car from the Vehicle Guide they were, but that's about it. I also have some 1" lead car models from another company of sports cars, with again, the same deal.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
HeatDeath

Resin printers, of the sorts SJGames have targeted with their STL files [and will continue to support for the foreseeable future] have WAY higher resolution than any filament printers you may have seen in the past. They're genuinely impressive, even if they are significant more of a pain to use.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #5
Nestyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Can't speak for SJGames, so this is total speculation:

Nothing has been announced that I'm aware of, but I could definitely see 3d printable minis for Car Wars 6e happening in the future. CW has a strong base, FLGS distribution is ramping up, and the company has seen some real success with the Kickstarters for .stl files they've done so far for TFT.

I would not expect to see anything directly and specifically targeting 4e, but I could possibly see some minimum [and probably unofficial] testing being done to verify that the .stl files are basically workable if scaled down to 33%, i.e. 4e scale. [I can particularly see this for Car Wars minis, because Car Wars minis are pretty much the best case scenario for dynamically scaling the 3d printing - relatively low and wide, requiring an absolute minimum of supports.]

I don't think it'd be a huge priority for them, but if it's not a huge amount of extra work, I could see some lip service being paid to the idea that, at least unofficially, scaling the .stl files down to 4e scale should be workable.

I think that's about the maximum 4e can expect to see in terms of official support going forward.
<smacks forehead> I didn't even consider scaling down existring "hot wheels" scale files... Must be going senile.

Thanks so much for that prompt - it gives me a lot to work with.

Cheers,
Nestyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #6
43Supporter

Find an architectural-model-supply store; look up "1/200-scale". You'll find a lot of minis for low cost (I think I've seen mixed 100-packs for ~$30; but I'm not sure it's within forum rules to post links to same).

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote