Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #1
jadeeidolon20

Default Rune magic question

So I have a player who wants to play a 'Eldritch Knight'. Basically a warrior who will have the ability to put temporary runes on his weapons and armor.

Runes will be one use, then have to be retraced on weapon or armor, taking time. Like 10 min per point energy needed for spell. So something that will be done resting ect..generally not after every battle.

Went thru Magic and Thaumatology, the rune magic in there didn't quite fit what was looking for.

Was wondering if anyone else has come up with something.

Thinking along lines of maybe Limited Magery (Preparation and Cannot maintain spells). That way would spend time putting runes on equipment (Rune Scribing skill), then could activate (having to take a Concentrate Action to activate each) in combat. Limit to maybe maximum # Runes to either Magery level (or Magery x2 since he is looking to have Magery 1-3 at best, probably 2).

He is not trying anything 'game breaking'. Just like being able to put say Icy Weapon rune, Fire rune on sword, a Night vision spell on Helm, a +2 Str Might spell on Breastplate for example.
jadeeidolon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Rune magic question

My first thought is to go for a variant of imbuements from GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements. I don't see any limitations in there that have an "eldritch knight" flavor, but you might apply a (hefty) limitation to the Imbue advantage.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
corwyn

Default Re: Rune magic question

There is also a worked example for DF in Pyramid 3-13, reprinted in Dungeon Fantasy Pyramid Collected. I'm not sure of the limitation either but I'd either do that or lower the difficulty of the skills.

BTW, Imbuement does not require concentration; that would make it pretty weak.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote