Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Gorkamorka
Ceci n'est pas un hyperlien

Default Firing Guns with Multiple Arms

Firing Guns with Multiple Arms

So I have been looking for anything on this an failed to find any answers. Well I did find DangerMouse's answers, but they are from the last edition.

So I'm bringing this to the hive-mind.

I'm going to be playing an alien in a space game. That alien will have 4 arms. What are the rules for that alien shooting with all arms. I will not be buying the extra attacks advantage.

Here are my thoughts so far.

You shoot 2 guns at the same target and you get -4/-8 to hit.
So what happens with 4 guns at the same target? -4/-8/-8/-8 or -4/-8/-12/-16? Or something else?

You shoot 2 guns at the same target and you have ambidexterity. You get -4/-4 to hit.
So what happens with 4 guns at the same target? -4/-4/-4/-4 or -4/-4/-8/-12? Or something else?

You shoot 2 guns at the same target and you have dual weapon attack technique. You get -0/-4 to hit.
So what happens with 4 guns at the same target? -0/-4/-4/-4 or -0/-4/-8/-12? Or something else?

You shoot 2 guns at the same target and you have dual weapon attack technique and you have ambidexterity. You get -0/-0 to hit.
So what happens with 4 guns at the same target? -0/-0/-0/-0 or -0/-0/-4/-4? or -0/-0/-8/-12 Or something else?

Should you make a technique called Quad weapon attack? What would that technique look like?

Thanks
Gorkamorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Firing Guns with Multiple Arms

As far as I can tell, you're at -4 for using a non-dominant hand and there is no way, RAW, to make 4 attacks in a single maneuver without having Extra Attack. You can make a dual-weapon attack at -4 on both attacks. So the best you can get is -4/-8.

At her option, the GM may allow you to make more than 1 extra Rapid Strike (MA127). These are normally at -6 to all attacks per extra attack. If this were a multi-hand Combination (MA80), it looks like the additional attacks would be at -5 per attack.

Going with the combination progression, you'd be looking at -14 in penalties for the rapid strikes/dual weapon strikes, and -4 in penalties for handiness. That would look something like: -14/-18/-18/-18. With Multidexterity*, the -4 penalty for non-dominant hands goes away, putting you at -14/-14/-14/-14. Assuming a maxed-out dual-weapon attack technique at skill and no Multidexterity, you go to -10/-14/-14/-14, or -10/-10/-10/-10 with Multidexterity. If the GM lets you buy up a Quad-Attack combination, you could bring the penalty down to 0/0/0/0. Assuming you have Multidexterity and are buying down the -10 penalty, it would cost 16 points to buy the technique at maximum.

All this is a guess based on reading the rules. Kromm may come back and correct me.

* I think having all arms being equally dominant is just 5 point Ambidexterity, but I can't find a definite rules quote to that effect.
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Gorkamorka
Ceci n'est pas un hyperlien

RAW I think you are right. Mostly because there are no rules about it at all. At least I could not find any.

But it sounds silly. I have four guns and four arms. I'm standing 1 meter from a target and there is no way four me to pull all for triggers at once?

Last edited by Gorkamorka; 09-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Gorkamorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Kalzazz

I would love to see Kromm or RPK answer this myself
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Langy

I'd base it off of a further -4 per extra attack by a different limb. So, it'd just be -12 to hit on all attacks when firing all four arms (assuming you were ambidextrous).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
mlangsdorf

If you take Extra Attack, and make an all-out (double) and dual-weapon attack, you can attack with all 4 guns at once. Eitherwise, you don't have enough co-ordination to use all 4 limbs that way.
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
smurf
Banned

Independent focusing eyes... or is that 3rd ed?

I thought it was bought with extra attack, with a limitation guns only.

Wait compartmentalised mind allows you to make an extra aim manoeuver. Again limitations can bring the cost down as in Powers IIRC.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'd base it off of a further -4 per extra attack by a different limb. So, it'd just be -12 to hit on all attacks when firing all four arms (assuming you were ambidextrous).
Would allowing two extra techniques, Triple-weapon attack (hard, -8) and Quad-weapon attack (hard, -12) be reasonable?

further down that track
Should the penalty for using your master-side subordinate hand be the same as the penalty for a two-arms off-hand or an extra -2 for lower hands?
Or would that result in something overly annoying; right-upper 0, right-lower -2, left-upper -4, left-lower -6?
And the Off-Hand Weapon Training Perk being 1 per hand?
And then should Ambidexterity be priced for number of hands? (5/ hand?)
{sorry, too much thinking. I think I better go take a nap - doh!}
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Would allowing two extra techniques, Triple-weapon attack (hard, -8) and Quad-weapon attack (hard, -12) be reasonable?

further down that track
Should the penalty for using your master-side subordinate hand be the same as the penalty for a two-arms off-hand or an extra -2 for lower hands?
Or would that result in something overly annoying; right-upper 0, right-lower -2, left-upper -4, left-lower -6?
And the Off-Hand Weapon Training Perk being 1 per hand?
And then should Ambidexterity be priced for number of hands? (5/ hand?)
{sorry, too much thinking. I think I better go take a nap - doh!}
The penalty for any and all 'off-hands' should be the same, and neither Ambidexterity nor Off Hand Weapon Training should scale with number of hands. Anything else is complicating things too much.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Eveything is at -4 for using multiple hands at once. You get one master hand and everything else is at -4 for the off hand. Thus, it's -4/-8/-8/-8. Anything worse and Extra Arms wouldn't be worth 10 points/level.

Treat abilities that remove these penalties normally. Those that remove the -4 for multiple hands at once cost the usual amount and remove up to -4, for at best 0/-4/-4/-4. Those that remove the -4 for off hands cost the usual amount and remove up to -4, for at best -4/-4/-4/-4. Getting both can remove all penalties.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambidextrous extra arms, extra arms, gun