Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #41
bocephus

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

I think I have one (though Im honestly not sure because of the oddity in wording).

Missile spells: 1/2D 40, Max 80

I have always interpreted this as the full effective range of the spell is 80... but between 40 and 80 its only half damage because it loses some effectiveness at that distance from the caster.

I have been using it that way for years but to be honest I have never been completely sure that's a correct interpretation.

On a side note I had a recent debate after a game session with a mage who was trying to clarify rules vs Aiming and Concentrating. This may also be relevant to this thread:

I haven't read specifically if the caster can or can't be aiming as they increase the damage of a spell (Concentrate). IE Mage rolls concentration (skill 15) to create the stone missile at 3d, second turn he concentrates to pump it another three dice - can he also in this turn begin his "aim action"... third turn he pumps it 2 more dice and aims again (now +2 aim), Fourth turn he "throws" the stone missile - distance 30 at 8d+8 with an Acc bonus of +2 to his innate attack.

Should aim cause a modifier to concentrate? Not be allowed at all? I have house-ruled that at skill 15+ you are allowed some movement (per the book), if you remain still I allow aim instead. My thinking is that tracking a target is no less onerous than taking steps in an unfamiliar environment. Also there really isnt any physical action to do with regard to aiming a spell, you are just trying to be fully aware of where the target is and gauge the movement of the target.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:40 AM   #42
Aldric

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Lurking and checking for things I didn't even know existed.

Regarding Missile Spells, they seem to behave like normal innate attack, half damage beyond 1/2D range.

Aiming a missile seems to be one of the things you can do while holding it after you've finished enlarging it,also Concentrate and Aim are two different maneuvers, so I don't think you can combine them, but there may be something on books I don't have access to
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:48 AM   #43
evileeyore
Banned

As it recently came up... again... I keep conflating my house rules on Extra Effort in Combat wherein I don't restrict the Options to particular Maneuvers*, nor do I restrict the usage to one attack and one defensive option per turn.

* In Particular Flurry of Blows and Mighty Blows being restricted to Attack maneuver only (yes I know FoB was expanded, I expand it further).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
I think I have one (though Im honestly not sure because of the oddity in wording).

Missile spells: 1/2D 40, Max 80

I have always interpreted this as the full effective range of the spell is 80... but between 40 and 80 its only half damage because it loses some effectiveness at that distance from the caster.

I have been using it that way for years but to be honest I have never been completely sure that's a correct interpretation.
That's the way I've always done it and I can think of no other way to interpret it. Of course, I've never had anyone throw a Missile Spell beyond 1/2D. It's hard enough to hit at that distance.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #45
Boge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You can also get a double-step by taking Committed Attack and retain some ability to defend yourself, if you're okay with giving up a +4 hit or +2 dmg or a double.

Kinda seems like maybe AOA should maybe be a bit less mobile if you take the "double" option, like if you want to throw a double-jab with your right hand at the end of a run, how much time is there for thaT?
We don't use Committed Attack or most other options outside of basic.

I talked to him about the 1/2 move on AOA. I don't think he likes it because he hates the way turn by turn combat works. He feels it doesn't make sense that it's like time stops for one player and the other can just run 6 yards while he's stuck in place watching and unable to react to that other characters action.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #46
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I don't think he likes it because he hates the way turn by turn combat works. He feels it doesn't make sense that it's like time stops for one player and the other can just run 6 yards while he's stuck in place watching and unable to react to that other characters action.
I can understand the feeling, but I wonder what this GM thinks the alternative should be. What RPG doesn't use some sort of turns?

Actually, I'm not sure how valid the complaint even is in GURPS. When Fighter B starts that 6-yard run, Fighter A isn't stuck in place without reacting, if Fighter A is ready for action, i.e., is taking Wait. If Fighter A isn't taking Wait, then she will indeed be stuck in place - because she's by definition busy doing something else.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 AM   #47
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

I can understand the feeling, but I wonder what this GM thinks the alternative should be.
Some wargames and tactical boardgames use a "phase system" that breaks movement – and sometimes other actions – into smaller chunks that occur simultaneously. So (to coin a silly example), there might be 10 phases in which someone with Move 5 moves a yard on 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, someone with Move 7 moves a yard on 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10, and so on, and on any phase when either moves, they can declare their attack or whatever, with Basic Speed, DX, a dice-off, or whatever deciding who attacks first if they both do.

That's a very slow way to run combat, really only justifiable in games that are all about combat (and little else). There are RPGs that use it, but it always feels wargame-ish. Still, some people like it.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #48
Harald387

It was only about a month ago that I learned that being knocked down by failing the HT check for a major wound, skull, or vitals hit also caused you to drop whatever you were holding; apparently the GMs I've been playing with also missed it, or else looked at it and said 'you know what, that's way too punishing' and quietly ignored it.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #49
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
We don't use Committed Attack or most other options outside of basic.

I talked to him about the 1/2 move on AOA. I don't think he likes it because he hates the way turn by turn combat works. He feels it doesn't make sense that it's like time stops for one player and the other can just run 6 yards while he's stuck in place watching and unable to react to that other characters action.
I'm also somewhat concerned with how much a character can run in a turn in GURPS, but in defense of AoA:
  • You can only run forward, which severely limits your ability to make a runaround attack…
  • …which is still just -2 to defenses. The attacked character is only unable to react if they used AoA themselves…
  • …and if they wanted to shoot at the charging opponent, they just should've done it the previous turn. If they didn't, it doesn't imply inaction, just being slower.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #50
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I'm also somewhat concerned with how much a character can run in a turn in GURPS, but in defense of AoA:
  • You can only run forward, which severely limits your ability to make a runaround attack…
  • …which is still just -2 to defenses. The attacked character is only unable to react if they used AoA themselves…
  • …and if they wanted to shoot at the charging opponent, they just should've done it the previous turn. If they didn't, it doesn't imply inaction, just being slower.
PS I'm also assuming you meant Move or Move and Attack with the six yard example, because for AoA, Move 11 would be quite heroic already!

Tags
rules