Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
VariousRen

Default [Setting] Fall of Brekhan - Low Fantasy GURPS adventure

The Fall of Brekhan is a low fantasy setting, using a system of magic based loosely on the book series Eragon and syntactic magic. The game is being played on Roll20, and has a large amount of information about the world and rules provided on an Obsidian Portal (Here: https://the-fall-of-brekhan.obsidian...ikis/main-page). Finally, episodes are being recorded from the perspective of a player and posted to YouTube for entertainment and to preserve information (First Episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoPOSi1dgY4).

The campaign takes place on the continent of Kirimish, currently under the control of an empire which spans the land. The talent for magic is moderately common, but magical items are rare and most consumables are expensive and time consuming to create.

The party is a group of humans of various skills and attitudes, forced to defend their home town from the inhabitants of the forests, both monstrous and human. Characters started at 40 points, with limited access to extraordinary abilities like magic use, and have been steadily improving since. Elves are a playable race, but their template cost limits them to characters made much later in this campaign.

I hope you all find the setting interesting, and you are free to use anything from the Obsidian Portal page if you provide credit where appropriate.

Feedback is always welcome!

Daniel - DM

Last edited by VariousRen; 04-15-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Updated Information
VariousRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Not

Default Re: [Setting] Fall of Brekhan - Low Fantasy GURPS adventure

Why do you use both Roll20 and OP? Did you start at one and migrate to the other?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Why do you use both Roll20 and OP? Did you start at one and migrate to the other?
We use Roll20 to run the tabletop part, especially for combat and exploration. OP is for static information that gets updated between sessions, like city history and house rules. It's also a sort of hive memory for the group, so if they forget what a city was like, they can look it up there (Because their characters spent a few weeks in town, but we only spent 20 minutes of play time there)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
trechriron

First, awesome! I also use Obsidian Portal for my campaign organization. The Calendar is very handy, and I like the forums and Wiki style for organizing info.

I am a fan!

Suggestions/Questions;
  • You should include the original starting character points so us GURPS nerds can get a sense of where you started. :-)
  • "Handsome/Beautiful (Off-The-Shelf Elf, -50%) {6}" - that is hilarious! I believe this should be made into a t-shirt immediately.
  • Are Elves an allowed PC Race? How do you balance them against other non-Elf PCs? That's a whopping 226 point template!
  • The Trist sound awesome. Where's the template? :-)

There really needs to be a GURPS character template for Obsidian Portal...
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
WhyUWatchingThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
First, awesome! I also use Obsidian Portal for my campaign organization. The Calendar is very handy, and I like the forums and Wiki style for organizing info.

I am a fan!

Suggestions/Questions;
  • You should include the original starting character points so us GURPS nerds can get a sense of where you started. :-)
  • "Handsome/Beautiful (Off-The-Shelf Elf, -50%) {6}" - that is hilarious! I believe this should be made into a t-shirt immediately.
  • Are Elves an allowed PC Race? How do you balance them against other non-Elf PCs? That's a whopping 226 point template!

Hi I'm the guy in charge of recording and playing in this session. I plan on making a intro video soonas for the other questions I will direct those to Various Ren
WhyUWatchingThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post

I am a fan!

Suggestions/Questions;

Glad you like it! We'll be playing every week for the foreseeable future, so stay tuned if you want to catch things as they update.

1. Characters started out at a low point total, 40 + 50 disadvantages. They were run-of-the-mill town folk, even if they had a little bit of murder-hobo in them at the start.

2. I'll look into that if we become sufficiently popular!

3. Elves are a playable race, but their template cost means we won't see any as PC's for a long time. I wanted to make true bad-ass elves, rather than the D&D style "+2 Dex, -2 Con, basically human" elves. A human would have to be very talented indeed to match even a young elf in direct combat.

4. I've got templates for both the Trist'mer and Tristne, but I'm keeping it GM only until the players have enough experience and research time to figure it all out. It's same with a lot of things in my list of creatures, all of the Bestiary is GM only at the moment, but at some point I will open it up so the players can review things they know about.

Tags
custom magic, custom setting