Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #71
Rupert

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Uh that "spending a second observing the situation" seems to be covered by Evaluate, Aim, or Wait (effectively a special form of Do Nothing) depending on the situation.
Evalute is vs a single, attackable in melee target (optional rules aside). Aiming is very specific - it only works vs a target you've been aiming at, so it's useless for detecting targets in general (and given the concentration required to aim effectively detecting anything that doesn't enter your LoS or is otherwise very obvious should come at a penalty to Perception). Wait presumably lets you roll to notice things, but note that what using Wait for Opportunity Fire, you have to roll (well, the GM rolls) for something as simple as "Is that guy a friend?", and taking the option to do so costs you -2 to Hit if you take the shot.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #72
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Evalute is vs a single, attackable in melee target (optional rules aside). Aiming is very specific - it only works vs a target you've been aiming at, so it's useless for detecting targets in general (and given the concentration required to aim effectively detecting anything that doesn't enter your LoS or is otherwise very obvious should come at a penalty to Perception). Wait presumably lets you roll to notice things, but note that what using Wait for Opportunity Fire, you have to roll (well, the GM rolls) for something as simple as "Is that guy a friend?", and taking the option to do so costs you -2 to Hit if you take the shot.
Tactical Shooting chose Concentrate for the maneuver to take to establish situational awareness. I wouldn't call that a necessary conclusion from Basic but it does seem reasonable.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #73
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Tactical Shooting chose Concentrate for the maneuver to take to establish situational awareness. I wouldn't call that a necessary conclusion from Basic but it does seem reasonable.
As Concentrate is a catch-all for mental actions, and Campaigns even mentions using it to locate an invisible foe, that's sensible.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #74
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Do "black belts" in radically different styles really circle each other or that something that people at the lower levels do?
It's been over twenty years, to establish a time, since I took karate; I no longer remember nearly as much as I did. This thread has helped bring some of it back, though. :)

However, I still watch various types of sparring videos on Youtube, and the circling seems universal. In cases where circling does not happen, they re-engage. Or the initial clash turned into a grapple; in which case arguably the initial clash didn't end.

As for an explanation why; I don't know. It may be due to a natural instinct to try to get to the side or behind the opponent; it may be out of a hope that you can "pull" the opponent into making a mistake.

Note that this is explicitly for one vs one; if there's more than two combatants, simple circling seems a lot less likely.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #75
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Quote:
Do "black belts" in radically different styles really circle each other or that something that people at the lower levels do?
It's been over twenty years, to establish a time, since I took karate; I no longer remember nearly as much as I did. This thread has helped bring some of it back, though. :)

However, I still watch various types of sparring videos on Youtube, and the circling seems universal. In cases where circling does not happen, they re-engage. Or the initial clash turned into a grapple; in which case arguably the initial clash didn't end.

As for an explanation why; I don't know. It may be due to a natural instinct to try to get to the side or behind the opponent; it may be out of a hope that you can "pull" the opponent into making a mistake.

Note that this is explicitly for one vs one; if there's more than two combatants, simple circling seems a lot less likely.
Points to Shotokan Karate Black belt Men Sparring - Charleswood vs Lac Du Bonnet IDSL 2012 as a counter example. And Karate-Do Shotokan Sparring (Kumite) is another.

There is Circle sparring but from what I have seen of it, it doesn't have actual circling.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #76
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Points to Shotokan Karate Black belt Men Sparring - Charleswood vs Lac Du Bonnet IDSL 2012 as a counter example. And Karate-Do Shotokan Sparring (Kumite) is another.

There is Circle sparring but from what I have seen of it, it doesn't have actual circling.
In the first video, Red Gloves starts at 0 degrees and Blue Gloves starts at 180 degrees, designating towards the referee's starting position as 90 degrees and directly opposite the referee's starting position as 270 degrees (arbitrary designation of angles, and ignoring position), by 39 seconds, Red Gloves and Blue Gloves have:

1) Rotated to 90-270.
2) Rotated *back* to 0-180.
3) Rotated to 180-0 (the opposite facing of which they started).

This video proves, not disproves, circling. The second match starts with them rotating to 45-315 before a single blow is thrown. I rest my case on this video.

In the second video, coincidentally Red Gloves is at 20 and Blue Gloves is at 200. The angles can be used as stated, with 90 degrees being towards the referee's starting position and 270 degrees being directly opposite the referee's starting position. By 6 seconds into the video, Red Gloves is at 180 and Blue Gloves is at 0. They then spend the next 9 seconds moving between 180-0 and 135-315. The match ends.

The second match sees them rotate to 150-330 before the first blow is thrown. They then rotate to what looks like 110-290 before rotating to 10-190. The next exchange occurs from 330-150 to 350-170 - and breaks apart into 330-150. They then conclude at 70-250.

And that's 54 seconds and the second match ends.

I'm just going to watch the rest of the video without analysis and if you have a particular match you feel proves your case, please tell me the start time and end time.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, house rules, rounds, rules