Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Walrus

Default [MH][Urban Fantasy][HT][Black Ops]Were-creature Social Stigma, Mob Leader and so on

Hello.

In the setting I'm currently working there are some problematic races and features.

Since this is urban illuminated fantasy there is special Utilization Service which maintains Secrecy Status (like Masquerade in WoD or respective MIB department).

So, all the Illuminated (the most of PC and NPC) should also maintain this status not to pay for expensive utilization service. There are special instruments in the setting mostly like fairy glamour invisibility or so on, both in spell and artifact variants.

The most of races are more or less humanoid with only two exceptions:

Were-creatures have controllable alter form but it's obviously monstrous (much like Demon form MH). Should I include Social Stigma (Monster) into alter form template (Lycanthropes in MH doesn't have it in alter form template)?

The other race has four arms. Most of them has "Standard operation procedure: use invisibility artifact to conceal lower pair of arms". But sometimes things happen and artifacts fail (it even may be one of plot point). Should I include Social Stigma (Monster) in their template as they are obviously non-humans but not very monstrous?

Other question is about low-powered race. They are authentic and more or less of normal appearance but still fill the niche of fantasy goblins: they have low characteristics, a lot of mentally disads, low status and most of them are criminals. Though I'd prefer there would be possible to have a PC as mob leader (usually they have "Tens" so the PC would be gang foreman). The point is that they almost always act together because most of them are untrustworthy.

Does anybody has experience with creating such characters as PC and can give some advices?

Also this goblin-like race usually has a lot of uncontrollable Luck, Serendipity and so on advantages. Though I'd wish to create some sort of "Bardic knowledge" from That Other Game for them. They tend to be right in the place to see somebody or hear something. Though the most of such knowledge may be from Streetwise or Current Affairs which they may have, the levels of necessary skill are extreme for them. Should I base it on Contact or Contact groups though technically the Contact is the mob itself?.

Last edited by Walrus; 06-26-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: [MH][Urban Fantasy][HT][Black Ops]Were-creature Social Stigma, Mob Leader and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Were-creatures has controllable alter form but it's obviously monstrous (much like Demon form MH). Should I include Social Stigma (Monster) into alter form template (Lycanthropes in MH doesn't have it in alter form template)?
Sure. If your were-creatures are obviously monstrous/supernatural while transformed, and you want characters to suffer from the Social Stigma while transformed, add it to the template.

Quote:
The other race has four arms. Most of them has "Standard operation procedure: use invisibility artifact to conceal lower pair of arms". But sometimes things happen and artifacts fail (it even may be one of plot point). Should I include Social Stigma (Monster) in their template as they are obviously non-humans but not very monstrous?
Rather than using Social Stigma (Monster), you could use Social Stigma (Freak) from GURPS Supers (basically a -10 point version of Social Stigma (Monster), for beings that are obviously non-human, but not obviously monstrous). The invisibility artifact sounds like a Mitigator limitation on the Social Stigma.

Quote:
Other question is about low-powered race. They are authentic and more or less of normal appearance but still fill the niche of fantasy goblins: they have low characteristics, a lot of mentally disads, low status and most of them are criminals. Though I'd prefer there would be possible to have a PC as mob leader (usually they have "Tens" so the PC would be gang foreman). The point is that they almost always act together because most of them are untrustworthy.

Does anybody has experience with creating such characters as PC and can give some advices?

Also this goblin-like race usually has a lot of uncontrollable Luck, Serendipity and so on advantages. Though I'd wish to create some sort of "Bardic knowledge" from That Other Game for them. They tend to be right in the place to see somebody or hear something. Though the most of such knowledge may be from Streetwise or Current Affairs which they may have, the levels of necessary skill are extreme for them. Should I base it on Contact or Contact groups though technically the Contact is the mob itself?.
Well, I don't have experience creating characters like you describe, but it doesn't sound too-difficult to model.

Start with your low attributes, mental disadvantages, low status, etc. The Mob is pretty clearly an Ally Group. I'm not sure how uncontrollable Luck would work, but one or more levels of Serendipity does model being in "the right place at the right time". I think it would be awkward having the Ally Group also as a Contact Group - if you want them to be collecting information, send the mob out to collect information. If you have a number of mob-members collecting information, that might qualify for a bonus to Streetwise/Current Affairs.

Tags
monster hunters, urban fantasy