Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #291
jason taylor

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Is it practical to have a business school and a military school on the same campus?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #292
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Is it practical to have a business school and a military school on the same campus?
I guess it depends on how extensive the military program is. This advert was inspired by one (of many dozens) ads in a copy of Cosmopolitan from the twenties or thirties (I forget which). I found a year's worth bound up in two volumes at a yard sale and keep them in the family summerhouse. (So I can't check the dates).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #293
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
There are numerous theoretical and applied crossover points. For the former, see the plethora of books about the Art of War and it's relevance to business and commerce.

For the later, there is the study of the economics of conflict, and the corollary of the security impacts of commercial competition which turns into a trade war.

Maybe it is the interdisciplinary study of these two fields which is what give this college it's renown.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #294
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Why not? ROTC is all over the place.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #295
dcarson

They don't have a business degree at Annapolis but do have two econ ones and three computer. Most of what a officer does is management.

List of majors you can get a degree in at the US Naval Academy
Aerospace Engineering
Arabic
Chemistry
Chinese
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Economics
Electrical Engineering
English
General Engineering
General Science
History
Information Technology
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Naval Architecture
Ocean Engineering
Oceanography
Physics
Political Science
Quantitative Economics
Systems Engineering
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #296
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
There are numerous theoretical and applied crossover points. For the former, see the plethora of books about the Art of War and it's relevance to business and commerce.

For the later, there is the study of the economics of conflict, and the corollary of the security impacts of commercial competition which turns into a trade war.

Maybe it is the interdisciplinary study of these two fields which is what give this college it's renown.
That is sensible enough.

Still most of these crossovers seem to be in teaching people how to be an effective staffie which is another subset of Homo Sapiens Bureaucratis. Does the school go into much effort to teach how to be a front-line soldier? Because being Homo Sapiens Bellicose requires physical training and psychological adjustment.

The problem I see, is that it is not just the skills that are different but the culture. The military has different traditions, and prioritizes different ethical concerns.

It is possible to have warrior-traders. The Vikings managed it. However they were tribal warriors rather then soldiers, and they were independent free traders rather then managers of a large cartel. The East India Company managed, however once it grew beyond the level of a band of Elizabethan sea-dogs it specialized the military aspect of it's operations. The question isn't really whether it is possible for there to be Free Trader's who can shoo off pirates, or convert to privateers on their own account. The question is whether it is possible to teach on the same campus, the cultural and ethical mindset required for a large mercantile organization(as is implied by the word "business) and the cultural and ethical mindset required by a large warlike organization(as is implied by the word "military") without giving preference to one or the other. I am not saying it is impossible. I am just bringing up the question.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #297
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
The question isn't really whether it is possible for there to be Free Trader's who can shoo off pirates, or convert to privateers on their own account. The question is whether it is possible to teach on the same campus, the cultural and ethical mindset required for a large mercantile organization (as is implied by the word "business) and the cultural and ethical mindset required by a large warlike organization (as is implied by the word "military") without giving preference to one or the other. I am not saying it is impossible. I am just bringing up the question.
As I said, the advert was inspired by one (of many dozens similar) ads in an old copy of Cosmopolitan. So either it's possible or the ad does not imply what you infer that it implies.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #298
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
As I said, the advert was inspired by one (of many dozens similar) ads in an old copy of Cosmopolitan. So either it's possible or the ad does not imply what you infer that it implies.

Hans
Or ads are ads?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #299
AndreaVallance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post

Hans
Looks like an ad for one of the old style private military schools that used to be common in the US. I think they would actually fit very well in Traveller, somewhere the upwardly mobile middle classes send their children to get a "leg up." The already upward upper classes of course send their children to schools that don't need to advertise.
AndreaVallance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #300
dcarson

Kipling's _Stalky and Co._ stories would make a useful source for a military prep school campaign.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote