Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
Arcanjo7Sagi

Default Re: GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
But with a lot of these spells, I have a hard time imagining anyone wanting to spend FP to cast them.
Maybe for the same reason the players use Background Skills like Hobby, Housekeeping or Games.

There are many Skills or even Perks or Advantages that are not that useful in some games, but players still use them to characterize their characters.

Not all players have a strictly utilitarian thinking. Some want their characters to look like real people and like features on the sheet that represent them in the smallest details, even if they are not so useful in most games.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The supplement suggests a few: Light, Sound, and Touch. As written, Haircut doesn't qualify because it's a fairly advanced spell with a prerequisite count of 6 – though I agree that its utility is fairly low.
Huh? In a world without enough professional coiffeurs it´s absolutely necessary for a gentleman mage, or at least his assistant mage. Maybe a bit less important than Clean, okay.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #13
Imbicatus

It’s taking all my self control not to just buy this now instead of waiting for the Kickstarter fulfillment to use the credit from there.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjo7Sagi View Post

Not all players have a strictly utilitarian thinking. Some want their characters to look like real people and like features on the sheet that represent them in the smallest details, even if they are not so useful in most games.
Those are actually the only kinds of players I'll game with, so perhaps my bias shows when I write. ;)

When someone optimizes their PC to death and leaves no personality, I've been known to say, "Here are 5 extra points. Spend them in front of me to turn this mess of abilities into a person."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Maybe for the same reason the players use Background Skills like Hobby, Housekeeping or Games.

There are many Skills or even Perks or Advantages that are not that useful in some games, but players still use them to characterize their characters.

I actually meant this from an in-character perspective. Housekeeping is a very useful skill in real life, even if it covers tasks most GMs will gloss over. And Hobby Skills and Games are things people learn because they're fun. Is casting a spell a few times and then being totally exhausted and in need of lying down for half an hour or more going to be fun for many people? I doubt it.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Those are actually the only kinds of players I'll game with, so perhaps my bias shows when I write. ;)

When someone optimizes their PC to death and leaves no personality, I've been known to say, "Here are 5 extra points. Spend them in front of me to turn this mess of abilities into a person."

I play/GM many "slice of life" games, with ou without powers, so, for me, I love this kind of stuff.

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I actually meant this from an in-character perspective. Housekeeping is a very useful skill in real life, even if it covers tasks most GMs will gloss over. And Hobby Skills and Games are things people learn because they're fun. Is casting a spell a few times and then being totally exhausted and in need of lying down for half an hour or more going to be fun for many people? I doubt it.
I understand the point, but on the other hand there are a lot of videos on YouTube of people wasting energy on things that I would consider useless. The spell that can emulate a fart, for example, I can easily imagine some friends of mine using in each other just for fun.

In the Harry Potter setting, it is implied that the wizard world are full of mundane spells that could very well be done otherwise, without magic, for example.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #17
Prince Charon

Quote:

I wonder how many of them really don't understand what you want them to do at that point. A lot of people who came into GURPS and similar RPGs from A Certain Famous Murderhobo Game or from computer RPGs seem to have trouble with the idea that 'role' means something other than 'Tank, Damage Per Shot, Damage Over Time, and Support' (or, that was the case the last time I met new players).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
In the Harry Potter setting, it is implied that the wizard world are full of mundane spells that could very well be done otherwise, without magic, for example.
Though there most spells are apparently effortless (though learning them isn't), so FP expenditures aren't a consideration.

(Also it's a pretty terrible example of worldbuilding.)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #19
AOTA

Lots of useful stuff with this book. Certainly gives me more options for spells in a low mana game.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #20
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Though there most spells are apparently effortless (though learning them isn't), so FP expenditures aren't a consideration.

(Also it's a pretty terrible example of worldbuilding.)
Yeah. This is why I suggested that if you want to do a "wizarding school" game, you make the campus a high mana zone. Actually I really do like the "IQ/A spells interact differently with mana" part of this book, that's a really cool idea.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, trivial spells