Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
EltonRobb

Default Buying Eberron

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I lurk here most of the time. I enjoy GURPS products and have a large amount of them. That said:

I'm going to buy all the rights to:
  • Eberron
  • Dragonlance
  • Dark Sun
  • Greyhawk'
  • Birthright
  • Council of Wyrms

So, why? Well, I wanted to work on Eberron for a long time doing my own stuff. However, the idea has grown into something bigger. I originally wanted Eberron, but all these has been added on. I'll be forming a new RPG Company so all of these can be published.

Remember though, I just wanted Eberron. But, I'm going to buy the rest on these. So Eberron will be published again. Dark Sun, however, is the most interesting campaign according to the people I interviewed about working for me.

Expect Dark Sun to be well written, and well edited. Illustrations are going to be full color.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: Buying Eberron

Good luck with that... Based on how they treated Dragon Lance and Oriental Adventures in 3E, at best they'd allow licenses on the supplements, but keep the core book in house.

As an aside, don't forget Planescape and Spelljammer. Ravenloft, too.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
EltonRobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Good luck with that... Based on how they treated Dragon Lance and Oriental Adventures in 3E, at best they'd allow licenses on the supplements, but keep the core book in house.

That's complicated. We tried to get Spelljammer, so we could subsume it into our Starfinder plans. But Wizards are doing something with Spelljammer, so we couldn't get it. Ravenloft the same as well.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

My favorite settings were Planescape, Dark Sun, and Forgotten Realms.

It'll be interesting to see a PF treatment of Dark Sun. I prefer the GURPS system, but I'm heavily invested in D&D 3.X. (When i purged my collection, I kept 3.X and GURPS, and not much else.)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
EltonRobb

Quote:
My favorite settings were Planescape, Dark Sun, and Forgotten Realms.

It'll be interesting to see a PF treatment of Dark Sun. I prefer the GURPS system, but I'm heavily invested in D&D 3.X. (When i purged my collection, I kept 3.X and GURPS, and not much else.)
Well, from who I interviewed for our Game Designers, our Dark Sun team is going to be experienced and good at what they will do. And if I know the team I interviewed, Dark Sun is going to be worth waiting for.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Hopefully you'll include some of the fluff of 4E.

E.g., defiling is a decision, not a class. Primal as a source for nature magic. Templars being a kind of warlock. That sort of thing.

The mechanics of 4E were wonky (felt like it was playing a MMORPG, but without the computer doing all the calculations), but the fluff was awesome.

Just wish it was ported to GURPS. :-)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see a PF treatment of Dark Sun.
Interesting point. What edition is the target? I would think Wizards would be hostile to a Pathfinder edition, but there might be some obstacles to producing content for 5e as well.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
EltonRobb

Well, I'm not on the Dark Sun team, I'm on our Starfinder team. However, knowing our writers on the Dark Sun team, you can expect a lot of cream with some crunch. As for including 4e lore, I don't know about that one. I have to talk to our Creative Director as to want he wants to do. We'll probably try to strike a balance between the Sword and Planet romance that Dark Sun was inspired from, and the post apocalyptic feeling most fans enjoyed.

We want to reclaim some of the old fans as well as get new ones. We won't get them all. I'm hoping that the writers I've interviewed and the artists I've also interviewed will bring Dark Sun to life. Perhaps it would be good enough to attract a license for GURPS. Here's hoping!
Old 05-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
EltonRobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Interesting point. What edition is the target? I would think Wizards would be hostile to a Pathfinder edition, but there might be some obstacles to producing content for 5e as well.
Well, I'll be buying the rights out right, as far as I know. We'll be including Dark Sun in our Starfinder plans. PF or D&D 5th, that's up to our Creative Director.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #10
ak_aramis

Quote:

Ravenloft under 3E was licensed out to Arthaus... the setting book and supplements all.

Ravenloft under 5E was a series of adventures. One of which doubles as a sourcebook.
Closed Thread