Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Biscuri

Default About recovery and CP cost of ER (Magical)

I have a few doubts about Energy Reserves (Magical) cost and methods to recover it that rised when I read some posts on the forums and Reddit.

So, I already know from Powers that Energy Reserves (Magical) counts as a Abilities Only limitation, for -10%. That being said, how do I calculate the total cost of my ER? For example, 10 ER points would cost 27 (2.7 * 10) or full 30 CP?

In the case it costs the full 30 CP, whats the advantage?

I read on Reddit that the default FP recover and the Recover Energy spell affect both FP and ER, effectively recovery 2 points at a time. Is that true? If so, where it's written?

If it's true, the same applies for Regeneration (FP Only)? Or do I have to buy Regeneration (ER Only) as a separate advantage/enhancement?
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: About recovery and CP cost of ER (Magical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuri View Post
I have a few doubts about Energy Reserves (Magical) cost and methods to recover it that rised when I read some posts on the forums and Reddit.

So, I already know from Powers that Energy Reserves (Magical) counts as a Abilities Only limitation, for -10%. That being said, how do I calculate the total cost of my ER? For example, 10 ER points would cost 27 (2.7 * 10) or full 30 CP?

I can't answer the other (have used ER only briefly, and not at all recently), but on this one I can help. Leveled advantages take modifiers to their total cost, so it would be 27. Or, if you prefer, it is 2.7 per level and the total cost rounded if necessary. The latter can be a useful way of considering it if you don't know what level will be taken when you're doing the calculation.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
Celjabba

Quote:

I read on Reddit that the default FP recover and the Recover Energy spell affect both FP and ER, effectively recovery 2 points at a time. Is that true? If so, where it's written?

If it's true, the same applies for Regeneration (FP Only)? Or do I have to buy Regeneration (ER Only) as a separate advantage/enhancement?
As RyanW said for the cost.

For the regen, and afaik,
-They both recover independently, each at their own speed.
-Recover Energy work on both (if the ER is magical)
-Fit doesn't help ER
-Regeneration(fp only) and Regeneration(ER only) are separate, neither work on the other. Same with Leech
-DR(absorption, heal only) : you can heal hp, fp -and ER(magical) if the DR(absorption) is itself magical

Full details in Gurps:Power, p119 and Gurps:Thaumatology p50 (for the recover energy)

Last edited by Celjabba; 03-11-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 AM   #4
Biscuri

I completely missed these details on GURPS Powers, lol. Thanks guys.
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
So, I already know from Powers that Energy Reserves (Magical) counts as a Abilities Only limitation, for -10%.
If any of the extra effort or FP costing stunt options are available, it makes sense that ER might lack Abilities Only.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If any of the extra effort or FP costing stunt options are available, it makes sense that ER might lack Abilities Only.
The difference between ER(Magical) and ER(Magical, abilities only-10%) is the ability to power magical extra effort or magical stunt.
Which I don't believe exist in the default magic system (assumed, since recover energy is in play).
Except maybe adjustable spells in Thaumatology, but I would allow spending 'ability only' energy for those myself.

So, in this case, you can safely take the cost reduction.

Edit : I forgot about the perk "mighty spell" in Thaum-magical syles. Extra effort for spells, but "you can’t pay it from Energy Reserves," so...
Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Side note... something I've considered is allowing Fit/Very Fit and Breath Control to work with ER (Heroic Reserves)*.

Also as mentioned, most genre treatments do not apply Abilities Only to ER.

* ER for non-magical FP expenditures.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
The difference between ER(Magical) and ER(Magical, abilities only-10%) is the ability to power magical extra effort or magical stunt.
Which I don't believe exist in the default magic system (assumed, since recover energy is in play).
Except maybe adjustable spells in Thaumatology, but I would allow spending 'ability only' energy for those myself.
Sorry, somehow I got the idea you were using Powers to build magically abilities as advantages.
Edit: and then somehow I got the idea I was responding to the OP in this post. I'm having an off day.

Last edited by RyanW; 03-11-2019 at 11:23 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Sorry, somehow I got the idea you were using Powers to build magically abilities as advantages.
Maybe that's the case, I don't know what the OP want to do.
But I assumed not since he mentionned the spell 'recover energy'

And rereading what I wrote ... if there is no way to stunt or use extra-effort, is the -10% for abilities only a valid limitation ?

If there are (or may be in the future) powers taken with the magical power source, sure. But if only the standart spells are in play ?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
Gef

Kind of tangential, but in a long-running fantasy game, I assume that most Master Enchanters have ER 30, with limitations to bring the cost down to just 18 points, like Enchantment Only (-30%), Day/Night Only (-20%), Granted by Familiar (-40%), and Gadget: Wand (around -40%). Even with the expected social advantages, wealth and status, this works out to around 150 character points for such an enchanter (with similar limitations on Magery itself). Taking the assumption from GURPS Magic that quick enchantment is typically done by a circle of 6 enchanters, that puts 250 energy - good for Accuracy +1, Puissance +1, and Penetrating Blade (2) - within reach, maybe with a little stretch courtesy of powerstones. Which makes enchantment of this grade way cheaper, but in my experience, the ready commercial availability of +1 swords doesn't break anything.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
energy reserve, magic, magic as power, power, regeneration