Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2004, 09:00 PM   #1
Captain-Captain

Default Recreating World Sight

The World Sight advantage from GURPS Religion was underpriced. Going by the Update .pdf, it costs exactly double to get the listed advantages.

but the update was inadequate and overlooked a few goods the advantage brought to the table.

The two replacement advantages, Medium and Spirit Empathy actually don't do what World Sight did, almost as if the coversion method was 'read the title, guess what the advantage did and throw out alternatives for the guesswork'.

World Sight reads: "You are able to perform Shamanistic magics. You have the ability to transcend ordinary human limitationis and enter the domain of gods and spirits. You may be subject to intermitent visions even if you never reicieved proper training as a shaman."

Not exactly a match with either Medium or Spirit Empathy. 'Entering the domains of spirits' is not the same as either speaking with them or being able to sense how they feel.

Nor does it confer spell casting ability, particularly since it let characters learn spells without as much of a prerequisite chain limit, let alone whatever 'entering their domain' means (World Jumper variant?). Nor Visions.

I'm inclined to treat 'entering their domain' as color text. That's a big benefit for a 10 point advantage if it refers to dimensional travel.

But even without the vagueness of entering a domain, we have:

Allows casting of learned spells and permits the learning and casting of spells out of their prerequisite order.

Transcend human limitations

Visions

The first sounds like Magery 0 enhanced to let the character learn spells and either dispense with prerequistes or at minimum learn fewer of them before having access to the spell.

The second is almost as vague as entering the domain of gods and spirits. It's undetailed enough to put into 'color text' mode as well.

And Visions comes off as an enhanced Precognitive power. The visions may be of the future or perhaps a message from the Gods that isn't necessarily about things to come.

Any thoughts?
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
cmdicely

Default Re: Recreating World Sight

"You are able to perform shamanistic magics."

Ritual Magery 0.

"...enter the domain of gods and spirits."

Jumper with, potentially, a very severe "Limited Jump" limitation. But maybe not. I mean, it may be no limitation if the accessible spirit world(s) are the only parallel realities that exist, but a severe limitation in an Infinity campaign. Assuming the former case [100].

"You may be subject to intermitent visions even if you never reicieved proper training as a shaman."

I'd say that -- since shamanic visions often require interpretation, but may not -- this is best modelled in 4E as an option to buy either Oracle or Precognition or both.

I'd be tempted to include Medium as well.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #3
Pagan

What would the cost be for Jumper with the limitation "spirit only, body stays in material plane"? Maybe also apply the limited time limitation on top of that.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan
What would the cost be for Jumper with the limitation "spirit only, body stays in material plane"? Maybe also apply the limited time limitation on top of that.
Dang it, I remember a really good discussion of this either here or on Pyramid not too long ago, but can't remember which.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan
GURPS Religion didn't give any real details about interplanar travel using World Sight, one of the reasons why I'm inclined to treat that part of the advantage as color text.

But Spirit form only, body left behind was a -30% limit in Supers for an astral character, IIRC. And probably -40% if I don't recall correctly.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote