Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
giganerds

Default Vow vs Obsession

Lets start with a sample to explain my doubts.

Comparing Major Vow (Uncover the truth) [-15] and Obsession (Uncover the ruth) (9) [-15] in a conspiracy campaign, the second appears to be more harsh even costing the same. The vow does not demand you been driven for it to achieve the truth as for Obsession, while you cannot ignore it (for good roleplay) the character does not need to pursuit all time.

Am I not seen something or, besides the cost is the same, Obsession is more hard for the character?

Best regards
Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
PTTG

Default Re: Vow vs Obsession

The Vow may have social consequences if broken, while a personal obsession is internal. I'm not sure if that balances it, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
NightHawk

In simplest terms vow is something you don't want to break, obsession takes everything you have and more to break. but both are just as serious. After all both would have the same effect only as PTTG said would have a different effect on you.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
giganerds

I will reflect about both posts.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
gilbertocarlos

Well, one is for the truth, the other is for the ruth.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The practical difference is that Major Vow (Uncover the truth) [-15] is a -15-point disadvantage that compels you to roleplay in a certain way or not receive as many character points from the GM, while Obsession (Uncover the truth) (9) [-15] is a -15-point disadvantage that compels your character to do something if you fail a 9 or less roll. That is, in the first case, you don't earn points if you don't give in, while in the second, the GM can say, "Sorry, you failed the roll," and assess a bad result in play. It comes down to which meta-game consequence you're most willing to live with: loss of points or loss of control.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post

Well, one is for the truth, the other is for the ruth.
Yes, by a strict reading, the difference is that Obsession (Uncover the ruth) will probably lead to Ruth punching you in the face for trying to pull her clothing off.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
giganerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The practical difference is that Major Vow (Uncover the truth) [-15] is a -15-point disadvantage that compels you to roleplay in a certain way or not receive as many character points from the GM, while Obsession (Uncover the truth) (9) [-15] is a -15-point disadvantage that compels your character to do something if you fail a 9 or less roll. That is, in the first case, you don't earn points if you don't give in, while in the second, the GM can say, "Sorry, you failed the roll," and assess a bad result in play. It comes down to which meta-game consequence you're most willing to live with: loss of points or loss of control.
Thanks for clarify Kromm! Know I could see the difference.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
giganerds

Quote:
Yes, by a strict reading, the difference is that Obsession (Uncover the ruth) will probably lead to Ruth punching you in the face for trying to pull her clothing off.
Eh! I trying to understand gilbertocarlos postfor a few minutes! Know I see my typo. LOL
Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
JCurwen3

Quote:
Isn't it advisable though to penalize players by giving fewer or no character points for the session if they ask for a self-control roll to avoid their disadvantage (like Obsession)?