Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #41
MIB.6361
 
MIB.6361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Naturally leading to the Noršlondr Uppskriftabók. Each entry is a recipe on how to cook, eat, or transform into alchemical substances the corresponding entry from the Bestiary and Enemies Book.
I like where this is going. I'll start warming up my KS bucks (which are not spicy).
__________________
Jessie/MIB 6361
Arizona Men in Black Cell Leader
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #42
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
And a wurstiary, with rules for making sausage from monster remains.
Faced with a cryohydra, my players killed it, dragged its corpse down the side of the mountain, and sold frosty hydrasteaks as a delicacy. Rules like this would be handy :D
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #43
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeville, MN
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
I like where this is going. I'll start warming up my KS bucks (which are not spicy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Faced with a cryohydra, my players killed it, dragged its corpse down the side of the mountain, and sold frosty hydrasteaks as a delicacy. Rules like this would be handy :D
I am at a loss here, but intrigued. I'll revisit this after the Bestiary itself is well underway. In fact, it would be a ridiculously fun stretch goal.
__________________
My blog:Gaming Ballistic, LLC
My Store: Gaming Ballistic on Shopify
My Patreon: Gaming Ballistic on Patreon
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #44
Stix4armz
 
Stix4armz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lancaster, Ca
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
And, if there's a high-tier reward to (help) design a monster, I might have to drop some serious dough. I'm elated.
This is a great idea. I still regret not backing at the level to add a character to HoJ, so a goal like this would be awesome.
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #45
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeville, MN
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
This is a great idea. I still regret not backing at the level to add a character to HoJ, so a goal like this would be awesome.
I'll keep that in mind. Bear in mind this type of thing would come with restrictions, because the setting IS Norse-themed at the high level, so there would need to be something tying it to the cosmology. Though it can be a pretty thin thread. Or an Outsider.
__________________
My blog:Gaming Ballistic, LLC
My Store: Gaming Ballistic on Shopify
My Patreon: Gaming Ballistic on Patreon
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #46
b-dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

I hope it has Lovecraftian Elder Things with psionics and other eldrich powers.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #47
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeville, MN
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I hope it has Lovecraftian Elder Things with psionics and other eldrich powers.
If the basic power type doesn't appear in the boxed set, there is roughly 0% chance of working out a system for it. If various special snowflake abilities appear ("oh, this creature does X as a fiat power! Woe to the PCs!") then it can appear as a power for a monster. If there's neither system nor special unique ability it won't appear.

Even if I really wanted Lovecraftian Horror to be central to my setting (and it was removed from Dragon Heresy), I do not wish to EVER build something unapproachable to a gamer who only has the reprinted boxed set.
__________________
My blog:Gaming Ballistic, LLC
My Store: Gaming Ballistic on Shopify
My Patreon: Gaming Ballistic on Patreon
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #48
Stix4armz
 
Stix4armz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lancaster, Ca
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'll keep that in mind. Bear in mind this type of thing would come with restrictions, because the setting IS Norse-themed at the high level, so there would need to be something tying it to the cosmology. Though it can be a pretty thin thread. Or an Outsider.
I can see how the restrictions to the Norse you might kinda be limited to monsters that will probably make the book anyhow. I was thinking more along the lines of the Enemies part of the title. I'd pay to have a hand in crafting a recurring enemy of some sort for the book, depending on how specific you wanted to get with the entries.
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #49
evileeyore
Banned
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Even if I really wanted Lovecraftian Horror to be central to my setting (and it was removed from Dragon Heresy)...
I for one, am perfectly happy to have a fantasy setting without Lovecraftian ho-hos in it. I prefer the Fey to 'fill that niche' to be honest.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #50
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution
 
Žorkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Reykjavķk, Iceland
Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Naturally leading to the Noršlondr Uppskriftabók. Each entry is a recipe on how to cook, eat, or transform into alchemical substances the corresponding entry from the Bestiary and Enemies Book.
This Douglas Cole version of Icelandic/'Norse is doing strange things to my head. I see words that are familiar but strange at the same time.

Incidentally, Uppskriftabók would be Recipe Book while Matreišslubók is the word used for cook books.
__________________
Žorkell Sigvaldason

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gaming ballistic, speculation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.