Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #671
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slam: "But how would they have found you?"
"Well, maybe there's something about speakers that make them trackable. There's obviously a reason why nobody else has broken the Concordance's monopoly yet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hungry Singer: "What! they're trying to stab us? That didn't sound like a stab!"
Big Digger: "Why are they trying to stab us?"
"Right, it's not a stab, it's like... Throwing a stabby thing that's really small, really fast. And they're not trying to stab you, they're trying to stab us so we can't move you away from them. If they stab you it's probably accidental."

If they ask about the probably bit:
"I kind of doubt it, but they might deliberately shoot the tank to force us to stop."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:27 AM   #672
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Well, maybe there's something about speakers that make them trackable. There's obviously a reason why nobody else has broken the Concordance's monopoly yet."
Royal: "What's a 'speaker'? "
After the obvious response of "what starpus call astropics"

Royal: "They'd never have missed you if that was the case."

Seven: "There could be a tracker on the starpus."

Florence: "Or they can hear you talking to the starpus. Or the starpus talking back. A KMA guy might just be astropic."

Slam: "So what am I doing? You got a place we can fry any electronics on them? Can we get the starpus to stop talking?"

Quote:
"Right, it's not a stab, it's like... Throwing a stabby thing that's really small, really fast. And they're not trying to stab you, they're trying to stab us so we can't move you away from them. If they stab you it's probably accidental."

"I kind of doubt it, but they might deliberately shoot the tank to force us to stop."
Hungry Singer: "They want to stab you to keep you from moving us?"

Soft Voice: "Would it help if we told them we're ok with this?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:56 AM   #673
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Royal: "They'd never have missed you if that was the case."
"Who's to say they did? Maybe they have enough Astropics already, or given genetics plays into this, maybe positions are being saved for children of Astropics. They write off anyone who fails the genetic test as crazy if they say that they hear the Starpus..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slam: "So what am I doing? You got a place we can fry any electronics on them? Can we get the starpus to stop talking?"
"I try to get them to keep quiet."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hungry Singer: "They want to stab you to keep you from moving us?"
"Yeah, basically."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Soft Voice: "Would it help if we told them we're ok with this?"
"Well you could try that. Do you if you can be heard from really far away? We think they might be using your speaking to follow us."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #674
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Who's to say they did? Maybe they have enough Astropics already, or given genetics plays into this, maybe positions are being saved for children of Astropics. They write off anyone who fails the genetic test as crazy if they say that they hear the Starpus..."
Florence: "That would require... an enormous conspiracy. Concord is full of those, but I can't believe that one. I've stolen too much research, and its been right. No one else matched."


Royal: "Screamers only work on astropics."


Seven: "still doesn't mean they use the tracking test on every new medical arrival. Why would a kid from nowhere be an astropic?"

Quote:
"Yeah, basically."
Big Digger: "They care that much? that does not please me. This makes me believe your accusations more."

Quote:
"Well you could try that. Do you if you can be heard from really far away? We think they might be using your speaking to follow us."

Pleasant Caller: "Stop shooting at us!"


Hungry Singer: "We agreed to go with them!"



Gentle Arms: "If they can hear us, they can hear you. Most speakers are quiet. you are very loud."

Big Digger: "If they will risk stabbing us in the first place, shouting might not help."


Gentle arms: "We're out of range of any response, I think."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:13 PM   #675
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Florence: "That would require... an enormous conspiracy. Concord is full of those, but I can't believe that one. I've stolen too much research, and its been right. No one else matched."

Royal: "Screamers only work on astropics."

Seven: "still doesn't mean they use the tracking test on every new medical arrival. Why would a kid from nowhere be an astropic?"
This all does sound fairly reasonable... "OK, maybe not. Then again I was in the aquarium tunnel. Maybe they've got no idea I'm an Astropic, but they are following me because they guessed I'm involved in something to do with the Starpus, and ended up guessing right."

I guess they'll probably have some way to discount that.
"Well I dunno. All I know is I saw him on the train and now here. Unless these are all clones of the same guy I doubt it's a coincidence."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Big Digger: "They care that much? that does not please me. This makes me believe your accusations more."

Pleasant Caller: "Stop shooting at us!"

Hungry Singer: "We agreed to go with them!"

Gentle Arms: "If they can hear us, they can hear you. Most speakers are quiet. you are very loud."

Big Digger: "If they will risk stabbing us in the first place, shouting might not help."

Gentle arms: "We're out of range of any response, I think."
Oh, right. I am loud. That might play into things... "I just remembered; I'm very loud for a sp-- astropic. If I was unconsciously making astropic "noise", it's possible they were picking up on that."

I guess I'll try to avoid making any "noise" as a speaker for now.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:08 AM   #676
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
This all does sound fairly reasonable... "OK, maybe not. Then again I was in the aquarium tunnel. Maybe they've got no idea I'm an Astropic, but they are following me because they guessed I'm involved in something to do with the Starpus, and ended up guessing right."
Seven: "If they were following you they'd have set up a better ambush."


Quote:
Oh, right. I am loud. That might play into things... "I just remembered; I'm very loud for a sp-- astropic. If I was unconsciously making astropic "noise", it's possible they were picking up on that."
Florence: "That's possible. That's facinating!"
Royal: "We have two things we can stop: electronics on the starpus and Astropic noise. Seven, find Slam a new route, to my location. I'm going to try and get a faraday cage we can put on the tank. Rook, try and kill the Astropic noise."


Quote:
"Well I dunno. All I know is I saw him on the train and now here. Unless these are all clones of the same guy I doubt it's a coincidence."
Royal: Agreed. Follow the new plan. We can handle this.


Quote:
I guess I'll try to avoid making any "noise" as a speaker for now.
Will tell the starpus you're going quiet for that reason?


please roll 3d6 and tell me the result. You want a 12 or lower. This is to avoid the van tipping over.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:42 AM   #677
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Florence: "That's possible. That's facinating!"
Royal: "We have two things we can stop: electronics on the starpus and Astropic noise. Seven, find Slam a new route, to my location. I'm going to try and get a faraday cage we can put on the tank. Rook, try and kill the Astropic noise."
"Righto."

I begin to wonder if I should have told someone about my Tatum dream... Maybe there was some clue I missed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Will tell the starpus you're going quiet for that reason?
Yes.I mean I asked them to keep quiet too, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
please roll 3d6 and tell me the result. You want a 12 or lower. This is to avoid the van tipping over.
Quote:
[163] 23-09-22 17:31:37 CEST
Van Tip
3d6 <= 12
5 + 5 + 2 = 12 ... success
The van skids around a corner, wheels lifting slightly half way through the turn, before setting back down. "That was a close one!"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:02 AM   #678
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Yes.I mean I asked them to keep quiet too, so...
Do they sound like the kind of group who follows directions the first time?

Quote:
The van skids around a corner, wheels lifting slightly half way through the turn, before setting back down. "That was a close one!"
Its a series of close ones, but slam pulls up to a spot where Royal is waiting with a bunch of foil, which she starts spreading over the tank in the back.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #679
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Do they sound like the kind of group who follows directions the first time?
That's true, but what kind of example would I set if I wasn't quiet myself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its a series of close ones, but slam pulls up to a spot where Royal is waiting with a bunch of foil, which she starts spreading over the tank in the back.
I worry that this won't be enough or fast enough. "Can I help with that?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #680
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
That's true, but what kind of example would I set if I wasn't quiet myself?
It takes some shushing, but they eventually travel in silence. with only the occasional whispered "Can we talk again?"

Quote:

I worry that this won't be enough or fast enough. "Can I help with that?"
Slam: "She's got this Rook."

Slam pulls off again, takes a bunch of twisting turns again, and then backs into some sort of warehouse area. They are shut in a container, and Slam puts the lights on. "Now its just time to wait for us to be carried over. Hope they don't manage to track us now."

It seems to take forever for them to be loaded up, but Julian feels when they become weightless, and when they land.

Slam explains they have half a day before they're going to get out, and that they brought fish to feed the Starpus.

Hungry Singer: "Can we talk yet?"
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.