Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #601
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
As they're going back, Julian sees someone in the transport riding with them who looks familiar... A full black beard. Is that Paulis Tatum from his dreams?
I take it a straight Per roll wouldn't be enough to identify him or not... If it is, Julian would probably do that instead. In fact, I'll leave the roll here in case that works out.
Quote:
[154] 23-07-26 02:51:20 CEST
Perception
3d6 <= 13
3 + 5 + 4 = 12 ... success
And if that doesn't work...

I train my eyes carefully on the man... It can't be a pure coincidence, can it?
Quote:
[155] 23-07-26 02:54:03 CEST
Curious
3d6 <= 15
2 + 4 + 6 = 12 ... success
Well, it probably is. There's lots of people with beards. Is he looking at his phone or something? Maybe I could peek at his phone and fit pieces together...
Quote:
[156] 23-07-26 03:00:54 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 12
6 + 2 + 6 = 14 ... failure
Well, I guess Julian will have to look a bit sheepish and avoid messing things up too badly. If he blew that curiosity roll things could have gone worse.
Quote:
back in the flat, he's able to get some studying done. Royal says they'll be putting their plans into effect tomorrow night, and encourages him to go to bed early so he'll be well rested.
That makes sense, and the studying's putting me to sleep anyway.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #602
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Julian looks over him for more signs... he sees "KMA" and the long thin diamond from his dream on the man's phone cover.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:35 PM   #603
TGLS

Quote:
Julian looks over him for more signs... he sees "KMA" and the long thin diamond from his dream on the man's phone cover.
Well I guess it is him. If I need to find him, I guess I got it narrowed down to the same station at least... Not sure why I'd really want to though.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:21 AM   #604
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Julian goes to sleep, and while he has lots of thoughts as he falls asleep, he doesn't dream.

The next day is all about getting ready. Julian gets fake identification, for "Julian Harbeski", validating he can be in the concordance. Seven warns it won't last more than a week, and that it will "match your Biometrics close enough, but not perfectly"

Royal: "Now remember, your job is to follow Florence to the location, convince the Starpus to come with us, and keep them calm on the way out. We'll handle everything else."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #605
TGLS

Quote:
Julian goes to sleep, and while he has lots of thoughts as he falls asleep, he doesn't dream.
I wonder if being calm would help...

Quote:
The next day is all about getting ready. Julian gets fake identification, for "Julian Harbeski", validating he can be in the concordance. Seven warns it won't last more than a week, and that it will "match your Biometrics close enough, but not perfectly"
"What do I do if there's a problem? Should I try to avoid biometrics?"

Quote:
Royal: "Now remember, your job is to follow Florence to the location, convince the Starpus to come with us, and keep them calm on the way out. We'll handle everything else."
"Only one? Will that be enough?"

"Is there going to be noise or something on the way out? Is keeping the Starpus calm expected to be hard?"
Old 07-28-2023, 09:08 AM   #606
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"What do I do if there's a problem? Should I try to avoid biometrics?"
"Follow Florences lead if there's a problem. Otherwise, try to keep a low profile. Keep calm, and act like nothing is wrong. Don't avoid the biometrics: they're close enough to not raise attention. Its only in your future that the account might matter"

Quote:
"Only one? Will that be enough?"
"We'll get as many as we can. Starpus can be plural or singular"

Quote:
"Is there going to be noise or something on the way out? Is keeping the Starpus calm expected to be hard?"
"I expect some noise, yes. We'll be hauling a giant tank of water from one station to another, and there will be a little cutting involved. I have no idea about if the starpus will keep calm or not."

Old 07-28-2023, 10:25 AM   #607
TGLS

Quote:
"Follow Florences lead if there's a problem. Otherwise, try to keep a low profile. Keep calm, and act like nothing is wrong. Don't avoid the biometrics: they're close enough to not raise attention. Its only in your future that the account might matter"
"I'll keep that in mind for the future."
Quote:
"We'll get as many as we can. Starpus can be plural or singular"
"And here I thought the right pluralization was Starpi, like octopi."
Quote:
"I expect some noise, yes. We'll be hauling a giant tank of water from one station to another, and there will be a little cutting involved. I have no idea about if the starpus will keep calm or not."
I nod. "But they're in a tank, right? What's the worst they could do in a panic?"

Julian is ready to proceed. He's also put surprisingly little thought into how much he loves to be secretive is going to clash with talking to a telepath. Then again he puts those secrets in a diary that pretty much anyone here could pick up and read.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #608
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I nod. "But they're in a tank, right? What's the worst they could do in a panic?"
Royal: "At the very least, develop a grudge and stop cooperating. As for the worst -- they can talk to each other and move objects through space with their minds. An desperate or angry one might be able to do some very unexpected things."

Quote:
Julian is ready to proceed. He's also put surprisingly little thought into how much he loves to be secretive is going to clash with talking to a telepath. Then again he puts those secrets in a diary that pretty much anyone here could pick up and read.
A little praise and attention can go a long ways.

It can also go nowhere at all.

He's partnered with Florence for the first part of the mission. She hands Julian his fake ID "You are now Mr. Harbeski... and I'm your aunt Charlotte. I can't wait to watch you in action."

The journey to the first station is made without incident. Julian simply hands over his card, its scanned, and they board the shuttle.

Once inside, they make their way back towards the arcade. Florence hands him a little piece to put in his ear. He hears Seven talking through it. "Royal is on schedule... your opening should be available."

Old 07-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #609
TGLS

Quote:
Royal: "At the very least, develop a grudge and stop cooperating. As for the worst -- they can talk to each other and move objects through space with their minds. An desperate or angry one might be able to do some very unexpected things."
"I see. Hopefully they're used to a little noise when moving from tank to tank."

Quote:
He's partnered with Florence for the first part of the mission. She hands Julian his fake ID "You are now Mr. Harbeski... and I'm your aunt Charlotte. I can't wait to watch you in action."
"I'm afraid it won't be terribly interesting to watch. I didn't really do much you could see with the screamer yesterday.". I think for a moment. "Mother's side or father's side?"

Quote:
The journey to the first station is made without incident. Julian simply hands over his card, its scanned, and they board the shuttle.
Same kind as the one with Orgel? While waiting for the shuttle, I stare out at the stars. I'm not that jaded about living in space yet...

Quote:
Once inside, they make their way back towards the arcade. Florence hands him a little piece to put in his ear. He hears Seven talking through it. "Royal is on schedule... your opening should be available."
I try my best to act thrilled about heading to the arcade, only realizing that I have no idea what goes on beyond the lobby. I wonder if they have anything like Fortnite...
Quote:
[157] 23-07-31 19:40:37 CEST

Acting

3d6 <= 13
1 + 1 + 3 = 5 ... success
I try to make what I say sound normal if anyone overheard, "Auntie Charlotte, are we going to have to share the arcade with anyone else?"

Last edited by TGLS; 07-31-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #610
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"I'm afraid it won't be terribly interesting to watch. I didn't really do much you could see with the screamer yesterday.". I think for a moment. "Mother's side or father's side?"
"That just means I'll have to watch closer... your not wearing a health tracker, are you?"

Quote:
Same kind as the one with Orgel?
Correct.

Quote:
I try my best to act thrilled about heading to the arcade, only realizing that I have no idea what goes on beyond the lobby. I wonder if they have anything like Fortnite...

I try to make what I say sound normal if anyone overheard, "Auntie Charlotte, are we going to have to share the arcade with anyone else?"
Florence: "Lets not talk about the arcade. We'll talk about... tell me about your home. Riask, or whatever you called it. What's the local architecture like?"

They don't go through the arcade... they take a brief stop into a service station for plumbing. Royal is already there, having broken some sort of electronic security for them. Or maybe Seven did that.

Seven: "Ok Rook, they're right behind that door. We have 10 minutes before we have to leave. Good luck."

Tags
lost in dreams