Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #71
doulos05

Default Re: [OOC] The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
The Hiawatha armed? That's a very good question. Do you want it to be armed? What weapons would you prefer?
I don't mind RPing acquiring the weapons. But to pay cash will cost M$2.1 for a combo turret with the only laser weapon we're able to use. It's M$1.35 if we use 2 sandcasters and 1 missile launcher or M$1.85 if we have 2 missile launchers and 1 sandcaster.

EDIT: Why don't you give us a budget to buy software and weapons. After my preliminary run though the software and weapons list, the captain comes up with the following wish list:
Quicken 2070 Free Edition (TL 10 Accounting software) - $0
Damage Control (Complexity 3 for a 200 dTon vessel) - $50
Damage Control Database (Hero-class vessel) - $1,000
Datalink (Free) - $0
Entertainment - $0
Entertainment Databases (I'm gonna assume Halo:Vilani Scum 3 costs the same as Halo 3 did when it came out) x 10 $500
Internal Security System (Skill level 15, Complexity 5) $1000
Interpreter w/ Vilani Language Database (Native) (and as many additional language Databases as we can purchase: $1000/database) $2000
Jump-2 Navigation Software (Complexity 6) $5000
RVO (Piloting Skill 12 Complexity 2) $0
Targeting (Complexity 6, +1 targeting bonus) $5000
Targeting (Complexity 5, +0 targeting bonus) $1000 (We need this for the 2nd turret unless you will allow us to use 2 of the 3 computers on-board during combat as the computers are Complexity 6, so they can only run 1 complexity 6 software at a time)
Turret 1 (TL9 laser, Sandcaster, Missile Launcher) $M2.1
Turret 2 (Missile Launcherx2, Sandcaster) $M1.85
Total: $3,965,550

My character's post is following shortly. I went with the 'normal' because his character was more rounded (the spy only had 3 disads: Secret(Imprisonment), Duty, and Fanaticism).

Last edited by doulos05; 08-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #72
doulos05

Silvester O'Donnell is a first class negotiator and contract man. He's spent years perfecting his style, tailoring his skills to the trading market. A black belt in college, he has kept up his Goju Ryo skills largely because they're his most effective defense. He is fully able to defend himself, but he finds himself constitutionally unable to intentionally kill another human being. In addition to his self-defense skills, he carries an Electric Stun Baton and a Heavy Laser Flashlight (with a self-defense Dazzler mode intended to temporarily blind the target).

While he isn't gullible, he sees himself as a rich philanthropist and shares his money perhaps too liberally with those around him. He is also extremely impulsive and regularly makes snap decisions without too much time or thought invested.

Attributes: +75
ST 11 [10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 12 [20]
HT 10 [0]
Will 13 [5]

Advantages: 66
Business Acumen 2 [20]
Contact Group (Business Associates on Nusku) [5]
English (Native) [0]
Fashion Sense [5]
High Vilani (Accented) [4]
Imperial Cultural Familiarity [1]
Low Vilani (Native) [6]
Merchant Rank 1 (Terran) [5]
Terran Cultural Familiarity [0]
Voice [10]
Wealth (Terran)(Comfortable) [10]
Convincing Nod [1]
Style Familiarity (Karate - Goju Ryu) [1]
Unusual Training (Breaking Blow, Only Against braced targets out of combat) [1]

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (Professional) [-5]
Compulsive Generosity (6-) [-10]
Gluttony (12-) [-5]
Impulsiveness (12-) [-10]
Jealousy [-10]
Overconfidence (12-) [-5]
Pacifism (Reluctant Killer [-5] (Per the RAW, reluctant killer doesn't apply to targeting vehicles, even if the vehicle is known to be occupied so it won't affect his ability as a gunner unless you instruct him to engage real people)

Quirks:
Minor Allergy (Shellfish)
Cannot refuse a debate
Horrible Hangovers
Incompetence (Guns)
Proud

Skills:
Accounting (IQ/H) -11[0]
Administration (IQ/a) -13 [0]
Beam Weapons/TL10(Projector) (DX/E)-13 [4]
Breath Control (HT/H)-8 [1]
Carousing (HT/E)-10 [1]
Computer Operations/TL10 (IQ/E)-12 [1]
Computer Programming/TL10 (IQ/H)-10 [1]
Cooking (IQ/A)-8 [0]
Current Affairs/TL10 (Business)(IQ/E)-13[2]
Current Affairs/TL10 (Headline News, Sports, Terran Confederation)(IQ/E)-9[0]
Diplomacy IQ/H)-14 [4]
Driving/TL10(Automobile) (DX/A)-10 [1]
Fast Talk (IQ/A)-20[24] *
Finance(IQ/H)-10 [0]
First Aid/TL10 (Human) (IQ/E)-13 [2]
Freight Handling/TL10 (IQ/A)-12 [2]
Gunner/TL10 (Missiles) (DX/E)-12 [2]
Gunner/TL10 (Sandcasters) (DX/E)-8 [0]
Gunner/TL10 (Lasers) DX/E)-8 [0]
Hazardous Materials/TL10 (Chemical)-11 [1]
Housekeeping (IQ/E)-13 [0] *Left in case some Steward duties require this
Karate (DX/H)-11 [4]
Elbow Strike (Karate) (Tech/A)-10 [1]
Leadership (IQ/A)-12 [2]
Market Analysis (IQ/H)-12 [0]
Merchant (IQ/A)-16 [12]
Musical Instrument (Guitar) (IQ/H)-10 [1]
Public Speaking (IQ/A)-14 [2]
Shortsword (DX/A)-12 [4]
Spacer/TL10 (IQ/E)-12[1]
Vacc Suit/TL10 (DX/A)-10[1]
Writing(IQ/A)-11[1]

BTW, do you want us to list the equipment our guys have?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #73
pup67vargr

doulos05:
About the turrets: Your math left me somewhat confused, but that's no matter. In the interests of starting you out fairly well-equipped while still leaving you wanting more, I'm going to rule that the Hiawatha can begin play with whatever weapons you desire and are able to purchase at normal prices with your armaments budget of $1.75M.

I know that falls short of what you were hoping for, but hey, at least you aren't defenseless.

EVERYONE:
Yes, please go ahead and buy gear for your characters. Limit on TL is 10. If any character has no money, don't worry, it won't be a problem. There are weapons, vacc suits, respirators, filter masks, etc. on board the Hiawatha sufficient to arm and equip all crew members who require arming and equipping. But, having said that, weapons available in this way will likely be of the shotgun and cutlass variety, so any characters with excess cash who wish to do so are encouraged to help stock the armory as much as desired.

Oh, and the vacc suits, respirators, filter masks, and so forth that you get without spending personal money to obtain will likely be of Tech 9 make (Tech 8 if I can get away with it), so there is plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-13-2011 at 09:50 PM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #74
MisterJuan

Quote:
doulos05:
About the turrets: Your math left me somewhat confused, but that's no matter. In the interests of starting you out fairly well-equipped while still leaving you wanting more, I'm going to rule that the Hiawatha can begin play with whatever weapons you desire and are able to purchase at normal prices with your armaments budget of $1.75M.

I know that falls short of what you were hoping for, but hey, at least you aren't defenseless.

EVERYONE:
Yes, please go ahead and buy gear for your characters. Limit on TL is 10. If any character has no money, don't worry, it won't be a problem. There are weapons, vacc suits, respirators, filter masks, etc. on board the Hiawatha sufficient to arm and equip all crew members who require arming and equipping. But, having said that, weapons available in this way will likely be of the shotgun and cutlass variety, so any characters with excess cash who wish to do so are encouraged to help stock the armory as much as desired.

Oh, and the vacc suits, respirators, filter masks, and so forth that you get without spending personal money to obtain will likely be of Tech 9 make (Tech 8 if I can get away with it), so there is plenty of room for improvement.
Could someone remind me what the starting cash amounts is for TL10?
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #75
doulos05

$50,000 is the Average starting wealth.

The price for Turrets factored in the M$0.1 to purchase the turret (since the Hero class only comes with hard points for mounting turrets, not pre-installed turrets).

As Captain, I'll suggest an outfitting, you guys can feel free to change it as you please.

Quicken 2070 Free Edition (TL 10 Accounting software) - $0
Damage Control (Complexity 3 for a 200 dTon vessel) - $50
Damage Control Database (Hero-class vessel) - $1,000
Datalink (Free) - $0
Entertainment - $0
Entertainment Databases (I'm gonna assume Halo:Vilani Scum 3 costs the same as Halo 3 did when it came out) x 10 $500
Internal Security System (Skill level 15, Complexity 5) $1000
Interpreter w/ Vilani Language Database (Native) (and as many additional language Databases as we can purchase: $1000/database) $2000
Jump-2 Navigation Software (Complexity 6) $5000
RVO (Piloting Skill 15 Complexity 5) $1,000
Targeting (Complexity 6, +1 targeting bonus) $5000
Software total: $14550

330 Man-days of rations $1980 (1 month for a full compliment of 5 passengers and 6 crew)
Consumables total: $1980

1 Turret w/ Sandcaster x 2 (each with 12 canisters) $609,600
1 Turret w/ Missile Launcher (with 5 missiles) $1,000,000
Weapons Total: 1,609,600

Ship's Locker:
"Pocket Pack" x 6 (UT38) $150
Small TL/10 Radio communicators x 6 (UT44) $1200
Survival Chest x 11 (GT:FT70) $26840 ($2440 each, I gave us a 10% discount off the price to purchase all the bits separately, seemed fair, but we can go up to the full price if you'd prefer which is 2708 ea or $29788)
Smart VacSuits TL10 x 6 (with Helmets) $42,000
Crash Kit TL/10 x 10 (+2 First Aid, -5 Surgery) $2000
50 patient/days of medical supplies $500
Surgical Instruments TL/10 x 5 $1500
H&K USP, .40 S&W w/ Smart Electronics x 6 $4,620 #I noticed only my character had Beam Weapons, so I switched to a handguns.
60 magazines $1920
20 Rechargeable C Batteries $200
40 Rechargeable B Batteries $120
40 Rechargeable A Batteries $80
40 Rechargeable AA Batteries $40
4A67/8 Modular Cargo Container (GT:FT57) This is for speculative cargo, I assume Contract Freight customers will provide their own boxes...) $30,000
Ship's Locker Total: $111,140 ($114,088 if we pay full price for the survival chests.)
Remaining Cash: $12,700 ($9,752 if we pay full price for the survival chests.)

Last edited by doulos05; 08-14-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #76
doulos05

While looking over the ship's data, it looks like if we wanted we could make a few extra bucks by double-bunking. If we give the Captain and 1 other officer (Engineer, maybe? Given the importance of his post) their own stateroom and double up everyone else, we have 6 staterooms, so we could have 1 high passage and 5 medium passages, or 10 medium passages if people shared cabins. If everyone, even the captain and engineer, double bunk, we have 7 staterooms, giving us 1 high and 6 or 12 medium passages.

I calculated the value of the Pharmaceuticals cargo as $800 (Trade along a branch or non-existent trade route) * 77 dTons * 2 parsecs. I personally prefer the system in Far Trader, that works out to $650 * 77 * 2 = $100,100. Which one do you want to use, vargr? Or do you just want to wing it? Having all the books (and relatively copious free time at the moment), I don't mind doing the dice rolls and calculations and posting them here for the more complicated Far Trader system.

Last edited by doulos05; 08-14-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #77
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
While looking over the ship's data, it looks like if we wanted we could make a few extra bucks by double-bunking. If we give the Captain and 1 other officer (Engineer, maybe? Given the importance of his post) their own stateroom and double up everyone else, we have 6 staterooms, so we could have 1 high passage and 5 medium passages, or 10 medium passages if people shared cabins. If everyone, even the captain and engineer, double bunk, we have 7 staterooms, giving us 1 high and 6 or 12 medium passages.

I calculated the value of the Pharmaceuticals cargo as $800 (Trade along a branch or non-existent trade route) * 77 dTons * 2 parsecs. I personally prefer the system in Far Trader, that works out to $650 * 77 * 2 = $100,100. Which one do you want to use, vargr? Or do you just want to wing it? Having all the books (and relatively copious free time at the moment), I don't mind doing the dice rolls and calculations and posting them here for the more complicated Far Trader system.
The crew assignments assumes that everyone will be doubled up except for the captain and one other [engineer is reasonable, but so are ship's doctor and 2nd in command (XO)], reserving the six staterooms on the upper deck for paying passengers. It is not pracitcal to have the captain and engineer/doc/XO also double up to gain an extra high passage stateroom, because crew quarters are on the mid deck while passenger staterooms are on the upper deck. Having "civilians" roaming the crew areas is a bad idea and will invite accidents, so it is not recommended. However, if you REALLY want the extra ticket sales, I guess you can see what happens....

According to my calculations, hauling the 77-dT load of raw materials the two parsecs to Prometheus will bring in a shipment fee of $800 per dT, or $61,600. There are no passengers available for this trip, since the BTN is just 6 [2.5+4.0-0.5]. I rolled for additional freight on the trade volumes table (2d-10) and got a negative number for the result, so that rounds to zero additional freight.

The next scheduled leg of your journey, from Prometheus to Ninkhur Sagga with 30-dT of medical supplies is a 10-parsec trip, and no additional freight bound for Ninkhur Sagga is available on Prometheus. However, because of the urgent need for the medical supplies, a premium rate is being paid of $2,750 per dT, or $82,500 total freight fee from Prometheus to Ninkhur Sagga.

So, over the course of the enxt 12 weeks, the Hiawatha is scheduled to make at least CR61,600 + CR82,500 = CR144,100. Plus any additional cargo and/or passenger(s) you are able to pick up between Prometheus and Ninkhur Sagga. In fact, your first stop after Prometheus will be 1926 Barnard, and you are already scheduled to take two High Passengers and an additional 2-dT of freight from Prometheus to Barnard, a distance of one jump for a combined fee of CR8,600.

Oh, and for now let's use the cargo/passenger rules in ISW rather than Far Trader. If this proves unworkable we'll re-visit the issue later, but let's give it a shot for awhile, ok?

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-14-2011 at 08:16 AM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #78
MisterJuan

I'll start browsing through gear lists. I'm pretty busy this weekend, so I might need the actual whole week before I'm all set and ready.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #79
MisterJuan

And on a purely RP basis, Sharmila will strongly insist on bunking alone. If she can't, she'll only agree on sharing a room with the Doctor, and no one else (mainly because she's the only other woman on the crew).
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #80
doulos05

Quote:
The crew assignments assumes that everyone will be doubled up except for the captain and one other [engineer is reasonable, but so are ship's doctor and 2nd in command (XO)], reserving the six staterooms on the upper deck for paying passengers. It is not pracitcal to have the captain and engineer/doc/XO also double up to gain an extra high passage stateroom, because crew quarters are on the mid deck while passenger staterooms are on the upper deck. Having "civilians" roaming the crew areas is a bad idea and will invite accidents, so it is not recommended. However, if you REALLY want the extra ticket sales, I guess you can see what happens....
Ah, right. Good point. I hadn't looked closely at the deck plan.

Quote:
According to my calculations, hauling the 77-dT load of raw materials the two parsecs to Prometheus will bring in a shipment fee of $800 per dT, or $61,600. There are no passengers available for this trip, since the BTN is just 6 [2.5+4.0-0.5]. I rolled for additional freight on the trade volumes table (2d-10) and got a negative number for the result, so that rounds to zero additional freight.
I think it's $800 per dton per parsec. That's how I got $123,200. ISW will be more than workable, I'll be the last one to complain about getting to charge more money. :)

Quote:
The next scheduled leg of your journey, from Prometheus to Ninkhur Sagga with 30-dT of medical supplies is a 10-parsec trip, and no additional freight bound for Ninkhur Sagga is available on Prometheus. However, because of the urgent need for the medical supplies, a premium rate is being paid of $2,750 per dT, or $82,500 total freight fee from Prometheus to Ninkhur Sagga.
Sounds good to me. I figure since we're dealing with a scientific outpost that this is probably cargo which we're being requested to carry by the merchant marine and they're gonna set whatever rate they want.

Quote:
So, over the course of the enxt 12 weeks, the Hiawatha is scheduled to make at least CR61,600 + CR82,500 = CR144,100. Plus any additional cargo and/or passenger(s) you are able to pick up between Prometheus and Ninkhur Sagga. In fact, your first stop after Prometheus will be 1926 Barnard, and you are already scheduled to take two High Passengers and an additional 2-dT of freight from Prometheus to Barnard, a distance of one jump for a combined fee of CR8,600.

Oh, and for now let's use the cargo/passenger rules in ISW rather than Far Trader. If this proves unworkable we'll re-visit the issue later, but let's give it a shot for awhile, ok?
Alright, sounds good to me. I would like to roll on the cargo generation tables from Far Trader to detail the type of cargo and how it is packed. I think that's more interesting than just carrying Acme Standard 'Genero-Goods' brown boxes.