Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: Bomb-in-head disadvantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
No, the main reason for adventuring is "implicit disadvantage: PC". While disads to get used as plot hooks (particularly duty and sense of duty) their main function is adding complications to attempting to resolve the adventure.

In any case, a disad that never actually goes off isn't worth anything, so unless your head will explode during the adventure, it's just worth the value of what it's coercing you to do. Which is Involuntary Duty.
Except with Involuntary Duty, you probably will at some point do something else, and your head probably won't explode.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
Anders

Ultra-Tech has the Bomb Implant (p. 210), which gives an Involuntary Duty.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Except with Involuntary Duty, you probably will at some point do something else, and your head probably won't explode.
It's well within the prerogatives of the GM to make your PCs head explode for breaking an involuntary duty.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Cranial bombs are so crude though. A proper cyberpunk world would use a small implanted electical device to kill the brain and then claim the still living body as their property.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Cranial bombs are so crude though. A proper cyberpunk world would use a small implanted electical device to kill the brain and then claim the still living body as their property.
Nah, just make sure the cranial bomb it large enough to take out nearby targets and then use them as an assassin. Without telling them that's your plan, of course.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #16
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's well within the prerogatives of the GM to make your PCs head explode for breaking an involuntary duty.
...Huh, so it does. That still makes that disad the reason the PC is adventuring, however - absent any other disads.

And "Disad - Player Character" tends to express itself through a collection of other disads, or an implicit setting disad. Like "Delusion (I can be rich and famous if I loot this dungeon)"

Edit: Note: It's entirely possible for a delusion to be true; the only real requirement is that there's no known reason for other people, or perhaps the player character themselves, to believe it.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #17
Pursuivant

Isn't there a Perk which allows you to make a mutually-suicidal final strike?

If so, it certainly applies to cortex bomb implants which are big enough to take out those around you.

Unless there is no chance of having the bomb deactivated, or there is a chance that your enemies could activate it, I'd be wary of allowing a cortex bomb as a variant of the Terminally Ill disad. It's a lot of points for something that's essentially a plot device to enforce player compliance. Of course, maybe getting -40 or more character points for "Involuntarily passenger on the G&M Railroad" is worth it for certain players.

Instead, the "obey or you're dead" aspect of the implant is nothing more than a justification for the Involuntary enhancement to Duty. Likewise, a bomb which goes off if you're captured or if you threaten to reveal certain information might be justification to boost an ordinary Duty to Extremely Hazardous.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Unless there is no chance of having the bomb deactivated, or there is a chance that your enemies could activate it, I'd be wary of allowing a cortex bomb as a variant of the Terminally Ill disad.
Honestly, terminally ill isn't a disadvantage I permit in games at all. It's either free points or unplayable.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #19
Otaku

I don't recall if this was true after revisions by later supplements (Ultra-Tech II, Cyberpunk, etc.), but originally a Cortex Bomb was a -15 point Disadvantage, at least, if points were being charged for cybernetics in the setting. The RAW version also did 1d concussion damage to anyone within a 2-hex radius.

If the setting allows the hacking of such implants, that might be worth some points as well. If someone skilled at hacking computers can force an Involuntary Duty (including one that contradicts the Duty imposed on you through the implant), or just kill you, that could be worth points... unless such risks are common enough for all people due to existing magic, psionics, etc.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Isn't there a Perk which allows you to make a mutually-suicidal final strike?
Sounds powerful for a perk. Build it as an ability at 1/5 normal cost (the usual cost for "one-use"). There is a perk that guarantees you'll go out with a bang, though.

Tags
delay, triggered delay