Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #1
Plane

Default casting spells where you don't know the cost like Counterspell

Sometimes the cost of a spell you're casting depends on the cost of some other spell you're interacting with.

Counterspell (B250) being the best example - half the cost. It'd apply to Suspend Spell but there cost is less of an issue since it's merely 10%

So... let's say an Ally is suffering some sort of IQ penalty from "Foolishness" (also on B250) which costs 1-5 energy depending on the strength of effect.

I'll call -2 to IQ "Foolishness 2" (costs 1 energy to counterspell) and -4 to IQ "Foolishness 4" (costs 2 energy to counterspell) for this example.

Am I going to know whether I'm trying to counter Fool2 or Fool4?
Whether 1 or 2 energy is required?

- -

Or actually - would I necessarily even know to cast "Counterfoolishness" and that it wasn't some other spell affecting my ally?

If for example they were performing at -2 to skill, that could be caused by Fool2's -2 IQ, but it could also be caused by "Forgetfulness" targeting one of the prereqs for that skill.

So basically if I know they're being affected by magic which is compromising their mind, can I just counterspell and the spell automatically chooses "Counterfool" or "Counterforget" depending on what is approriate, or would the caster have to choose whether it's Counterfool or Counterforget?

- -

Basically to know in the first place your ally is magically debuffed at all (ie the IQ penalty, assuming you notice those easily, isn't from a lack of sleep or being tipsy) seems like something Magery doesn't really give you (that's just for detecting magic items, not active spells)

Identify Spell (B249) could identify all spells in a single go, so it seems like something we're assumed to set up for using Counterspell?

This seems like IS would tell you whether it's Foolishness or Forgetfulness, but I'm not sure if it would tell me whether it's Fool2 vs Fool4 though.

Should IS also tell you the effect/energy put into the spell and how strong it is?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counterspell, foolishness, forgetfulness, identify spell