Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
Toltrin

Default What if Axis&Allies were mixed with OGRE/GEV?

Stop me if I have put this idea out there already.
Have you guys ever played Axis&Allies?
What would the main units if the world was at war in 2030?
I would sort of keep the same territories at the map is in the game Axis&Allies.
I need help creating the five to seven world powers.
I am thinking that the Combine vs Paneurope would be the main powers against each other.

How to resolve combat:
For attacking units:
1. If territory has laser towers, rolling a 1 on d10 would mean that the laser towers are in the battle. In this case, once per battle, roll d6 vs one other chosen target where their defense is how many dice they roll in defense.
Example: A heavy tank was chosen by the defending laser tower. The laser tower rolls a 9 on 1d10 and the defender (defense 3) rolls a 7 with 3d10 (bad roll!). The heavy tank is destroyed and removed from the game.
1. Roll for stealth units. Stealth units cannot be targeted by laser towers unless a jammer is present in the battle.
2. Roll for GEV and missile launching units first.
3. Roll for armor and OGREs.
4. Roll for armored infantry.
5. Roll for unarmored infantry.

Sample OGRE Dark Horse rules for Axis&Allies style play:
OGRE Dark Horse
Represents (x1) OGRE on the battlefield
ATT: (x3) 1 in d10 (vs infantry only)
(x1 main) 3 in d10 (gone on 2nd hit)
(x2 secondary) 5 in d10 (1 gone on 2nd hit, all gone on 4th hit)
(x1 missile first combat round only) 7 in d10.
DEF: 4 in d10 with no hits, 3 in d10 on 1st hit, 2 in d10 on 2nd hit, 1 in d10 3rd hit, destroyed on fourth hit. A successful roll means the unit that hit it did no damage.
MOV: 2 move on 1st and 2nd hits, 1 move on 3rd hit, destroyed on 4th hit.
Spec: Attacks first and cannot be retaliated against on first combat turn due to stealth.
Hit four times to destroy.
COST: 24 ICP per turn, two turns to build. 5 ICP to repair each hit.
As in Axis&Allies rules, the defender always chooses the casualties but an OGRE can choose one step up from the defender's choice.
I am thinking one hit per Mark equivalent of OGRE.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by Toltrin; 05-29-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
Toltrin

Default Re: What if Axis&Allies were mixed with OGRE/GEV?

I know - posting to my post but I didn't want it too long.

Boundaries of the game:
All units roll d10 dice (greater range of probability)
Maximum speed is 2 (no aircraft or helicopters)
OGREs can cross one ocean territory per turn
GEVs can cross one ocean territory as long as they end up on land on the second move.
Cost per unit is still up in the air but I am thinking of 30 income starting per major country and 50 starting income for all allies.
Each type of unit is the dominant unit when it says "GEV" or "Heavy Tank". It's a company of vehicles consisting of mainly that type of vehicle. There could be armored infantry, a few Light GEVs and GEV infantry carriers.
Each turn in roughly six months.

Any additional suggestions?
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
TheDS

Default Re: What if Axis&Allies were mixed with OGRE/GEV?

Certainly give it a try and see what you think.

As someone who has played a few A&A games, I have to wonder if you might be going about it a little wrongly, though. Are you trying to make an A&A game with Ogre flavor, like they do with Risk and Monopoly nowadays? A grand strategic Ogre game using the (convenient) A&A map?

If the former, I would say you need to try replacing the existing units with Ogre-flavored units with appropriate stats. Ogres would have to have multiple hit points, like battleships, but the number of hit points might become onerous if you try to include every Ogre model. For that reason you might want to limit yourself to Mk3 and Mk5, giving them, say, 2 and 3 hit points respectively. Laser towers might act like AAA. Missiles might act like kamakazi fighters or bombers. This will be the simpler of the two options, but by no means simple.

OTOH, making a whole new game is, well, making a whole new game. <shrug> There are a lot of choices to make in how to represent the various units. You'll have to draw something up, test it, tweak it, and so forth. Not at all easy, but definitely cool if you pull it off.

Then you need to think about why you're doing it; by that I mean, is it something you want to play with your friends, or do you plan on selling it? If the latter, Steve is a notoriously jealous god, especially when it comes to his baby. According to legend, people HAVE survived the process, and some products HAVE survived to see the light of day, but be prepared to have done all that work for nothing, or for it to take most of forever even if he loves it.

Best wishes to you!

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote