Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #611
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, popping open the cabinet and trying to fry the Voltmeters (See post #600 for roll). Is it possible to test the Voltmeter in some way or would I not have enough time?

Testing the voltmeter... you can do that. Sticking it on one of the massive power coils feeding the laser... indicates that it is still working. Frying them with confuse doesn't seem to be working.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #612
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Testing the voltmeter... you can do that. Sticking it on one of the massive power coils feeding the laser... indicates that it is still working. Frying them with confuse doesn't seem to be working.
OK, I'll try dismantlement and cutting up the internal components.

Quote:
[403] 21-04-07 17:06:38 CEST
Elec. Repair
3d6 <= 9 : 6 + 2 + 1 = 9 ... success
I don't know if the same level of penalty applies, but I guess it worked out anyway.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #613
Hide

Quote:
(...) So you expect Daymar to spend 6 hours next to the officers' quarters during his work hours while you ping a sound system every 30 minutes? (...)
I see! I understood each section had a speaker; one you hear general announcements from. If that is not the case, it does not matter.

Pacifica will speak trough all the lines at once, and signal the chief’s leave, using her EVP in due time.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #614
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OK, I'll try dismantlement and cutting up the internal components.

I don't know if the same level of penalty applies, but I guess it worked out anyway.
Hua chops up the innards of two of the volt-meters! There are eight others left: two in each of Shields, Star Drive, Maneuver drive, and Power generation. This sabatouge will be noticed within six hours, maybe fewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pacifica will speak trough all the lines at once, and signal the chief’s leave, using her EVP in due time.

Commander Zybo is late to his lunch, but Pacifica sends the signal at the correct moment. A small fraction of the ship hears a voice make a comment about having Pooka-Pooka for dinner. (any other embellishments?)

Daymar is eating lunch when he gets the signal. Commander Zybo, the officer he hopes to mind control, is headed his way. Pothi perks up at the pooka-pooka reference:

"Say, did I ever tell you about pooka-thwap? When we were kids and we found a pooka pooka, we'd each grab three rocks..."

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #615
TGLS

Quote:
Hua chops up the innards of two of the volt-meters! There are eight others left: two in each of Shields, Star Drive, Maneuver drive, and Power generation. This sabatouge will be noticed within six hours, maybe fewer.
OK, on to the next one. I'll return to Thibi long enough for it not to be suspicious, and move on to the next closest department.
Almost strategy as last time:
-> Fib to Thibi (split for efficiency, whatever)
-> Stealthy go over to the work area (whichever's convenient)
-> Try to find the voltmeter
-> Dismantle the voltmeter, possibly creating a distraction if needed

Quote:
[404] 21-04-08 18:59:50 CEST
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13 : 2 + 1 + 2 = 5 ... success
[405] 21-04-08 19:00:13 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 6 + 4 = 12 ... success
[406] 21-04-08 19:00:52 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 13 : 2 + 2 + 5 = 9 ... success
Old 04-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #616
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Commander Zybo is late to his lunch, but Pacifica sends the signal at the correct moment. A small fraction of the ship hears a voice make a comment about having Pooka-Pooka for dinner. (any other embellishments?)

Daymar is eating lunch when he gets the signal. Commander Zybo, the officer he hopes to mind control, is headed his way. Pothi perks up at the pooka-pooka reference:

"Say, did I ever tell you about pooka-thwap? When we were kids and we found a pooka pooka, we'd each grab three rocks..."
"That sounds fascinating, Pothi, but just give me a minute here..." Daymar looks for Commander Zybo, and then tries to execute the plan.

Intercepting Zybo, Day critically succeeds on his Mental Surgery roll, implanting a Delusion (-10 or -15 level) that he should follow Daymar's orders.

[408] 21-04-08 23:46:15 CEST

Mental Surgery

3d6 <= 16
2 + 2 + 1 = 5 ... success

[407] 21-04-08 23:45:34 CEST

Acting

3d6 <= 14
4 + 1 + 6 = 11 ... success
Old 04-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #617
Hide

Quote:
(...) Commander Zybo is late to his lunch, but Pacifica sends the signal at the correct moment. A small fraction of the ship hears a voice make a comment about having Pooka-Pooka for dinner. (any other embellishments?) (...)
Awesome! I would add "deep fried, like shield crew do".

PD. Good job Gnomes!
Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #618
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OK, on to the next one. I'll return to Thibi long enough for it not to be suspicious, and move on to the next closest department.
Almost strategy as last time:
-> Fib to Thibi (split for efficiency, whatever)
-> Stealthy go over to the work area (whichever's convenient)
-> Try to find the voltmeter
-> Dismantle the voltmeter, possibly creating a distraction if needed
The next closest area is the star drive workfloor. this area has around 25 people in it, spread over floors 7-16. Daymar has told you exactly where the voltmeters are kept. The area around the voltmeters has four people who stay there most of the time, though two of them leave periodically.

What sort of distraction are you looking to create?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
"That sounds fascinating, Pothi, but just give me a minute here..." Daymar looks for Commander Zybo, and then tries to execute the plan.

Intercepting Zybo, Day critically succeeds on his Mental Surgery roll, implanting a Delusion (-10 or -15 level) that he should follow Daymar's orders.

Pothi looks disappointed he won't be able to tell his story.

"Follow my orders" sounds more like a classical mind control roll. It also doesn't do anything about his loyalties in this war. Are you sure that's the package you want to give? (its -10, for the record)

Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #619
Hide

Quote:
(...) "Follow my orders" sounds more like a classical mind control roll. It also doesn't do anything about his loyalties in this war. Are you sure that's the package you want to give? (its -10, for the record)
I was going to suggest 2 minor disadvantages; “Pacifica has all my trust” and “I need Pacifica’s help in my planning”. As both can be supported by the fact she rolled a critical in her job, and also because she’s been working on that cover since she arrived and the Nav-Chief noticed her.

I think a connection between Day/Hua and the Nav-Chief seems less plausible.

So let’s listen to the team.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #620
TGLS

Quote:
"Follow my orders" sounds more like a classical mind control roll. It also doesn't do anything about his loyalties in this war. Are you sure that's the package you want to give? (its -10, for the record)
Given that the training for dealing with a traitor-maker is: "Try to trick them into believing that they succeeded by not reacting at all", would it be plausible to assume that an officer like Zybo would be reasonably good at acting? Maybe we could just go with Fanaticism and he wouldn't get caught immediately.

Quote:
The next closest area is the star drive workfloor. this area has around 25 people in it, spread over floors 7-16. Daymar has told you exactly where the voltmeters are kept. The area around the voltmeters has four people who stay there most of the time, though two of them leave periodically.
Well four seems more doable than seven. I'll confuse them all and dismantle voltmeters too.

Quote:
[409] 21-04-09 16:44:51 CEST
Confuse (x4)
3d6 <= 15 : 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 ... success
[410] 21-04-09 16:45:09 CEST
Confuse (x3)
3d6 <= 15
1: 6 + 4 + 2 = 12 ... success
2: 6 + 6 + 5 = 17 ... failure
3: 3 + 4 + 5 = 12 ... success
OK, I'm not sure if I can play off 2 and leave the tech wondering what happened or if I need to do something about it right now.