Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #91
DanHoward

Default Re: Charlemagne's Paladins - roleplaying in the 8th century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
It isn't possible or plausible that the poor fighters looted armour from the battlefield and used in the next fight they were in? Or is this something that was out of the question for social reasons?
Depends. In many situations the commander got the loot and decided who to give it to. Most lower ranked fighters only campaigned for a few months and then went back home. What can he do with looted armour? He isn't going to store it in a chest for years on the off chance that he will be called up again some time in the future. Most likely he would sell it to pay his taxes. In many jurisdictions body armour was a restricted item; only authorised people were allowed to keep it. In this case it was kept in monasteries and churches and only permitted to be issued to direct vassals. A peasant with body armour would be treated the same as a peasant with a warhorse.

Last edited by DanHoward; 01-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #92
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
It isn't possible or plausible that the poor fighters looted armour from the battlefield and used in the next fight they were in?
That's possible. But common?

Though I seem to recall that there is a bit in the Bayeux Tapestry in which one side (and I think it was the Normans) stripped armour off their dead and wounded and re-issued it to unarmoured fighters.

Quote:
Or is this something that was out of the question for social reasons?
Blokes with armour didn't die all that often in fights against blokes sans armour. When they died in fights against blokes with armour the victors tended to snaffle it rather than leaving it lying around for Tom, Dick, and Harry to pick up.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #93
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Though I seem to recall that there is a bit in the Bayeux Tapestry in which one side (and I think it was the Normans) stripped armour off their dead and wounded and re-issued it to unarmoured fighters.
There are scenes of fallen fighters getting their armour stripped. I can't recall anything about what happened to it afterwards.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #94
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
There are scenes of fallen fighters getting their armour stripped. I can't recall anything about what happened to it afterwards.
Perhaps I read a fanciful interpretation.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #95
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavus Adolphus View Post
I don't think that is "fantasy": "fantasy" means "completely improbable".
No, it mean 'a product of the imagination'.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #96
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
It is plausible in the 11th century. Not in the 8th century.
The OP may have a certain anachronism tolerance threshols, for his setting.

For my 10th century Ärth setting, I'm willing to pull something backwards in time, by as much as 50 or 75 years, if it's sufficiently cool. That, but not more, and it has to be cool enough to warrant it.

Anders may feel like 25 years, or 150 years, or opt for a zero-tolerance stance.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #97
Anders

I tend to let Rule of Fun overrule history, but I find the discussion fascinating.

How would you get to the Holy Land from, say Aachen? My guess is overland to Genoa and then by boat - stopping by on the way for supplies, although I don't know where that would be.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:06 AM   #98
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
How would you get to the Holy Land from, say Aachen? My guess is overland to Genoa and then by boat - stopping by on the way for supplies, although I don't know where that would be.
Venice is another potential port, and was important in at least one crusade. For resupply points, stop at islands that belong to whichever nation is transporting you.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #99
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Up the Rhine, down the Danube to Adrianople, then to Constantinople, boat across the Bosporus, overland to Antioch, then south to Jerusalem. I think that's the approximate route of the Great German Pilgrimage of 1064 and one half of the First Crusade. There were routes that went south to embark on ships at, I think, Amalfi and Genoa.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #100
Anders

I'm not so sure about traveling the Danube. Remember, the Slavs and Avars are pagans and may not take kindly to Christian pilgrims.

Tags
campaign advice, history