Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Hex facing and half-turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Perhaps worth remembering that characters don't have their head rigidly affixed to their body, nor their eyes glued always to face forward. GURPS assumes that characters are always moving within their hex, including turning their whole body (for rules like Run-around Attacks); scanning your surroundings is even just a "free action", it's assumed to always be happening.
Does this also apply with helmets that restrict peripheral vision, or are they also assumed to be restricting neck/torso rotations?

Seems less mobile armors might prevent the twisting of hips/spine that aid the neck/eyes in scanning.

Quote:
Just sitting at my computer and fixating on the monitor, I can tell I have easily 180 degrees of peripheral vision.
That seems like a lot (mine feels more like 160-180 but maybe because I'm thinking in respect to a line drawn through my ears/brain rather than my eyes) but seems to align with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P...ral_vision.svg

Interesting how the near/mid/far classification is 60 degree increments just like GURPS hexes.

I definitely like the idea of progressively getting penalties the further you get from the 5 degrees of "central" vision. Like -1 for paracentral, -2 for macular, -3 for near, -4 for mid, -5 for far.

Quote:
If I actually turn my head, there's a little sliver behind me I can't see without rotating my torso, but it's not even 30 degrees across.
As crunchy as it would be, I'd like the idea of making "shift my gaze" an active position choice in GURPS, because inevitably if you try to reduce blindspots on your right side by turning to the right, you're going to be increasing blindspots on your left side.

Even though once an turn one's head back and forth, there are realistic limits to how often/quickly people can do that, not to mention that's a distraction from focusing on other tasks like fine motor skills, casting spells, planning, etc.

The problem is that while making crunch for it is an appealing concept, quantifying it would be very difficult. Energy cost would be less than a Movement Point, maybe charge a tenth of a Movement Point?

Despite "facing" making you think of your face, given how it affects things like what hexes you can attack/parry perhaps we ought to define a separate concept for that called that "chesting" because it's the direction your chest/torso is oriented in?

Changing one's chesting would create equal changes in facing due to the torso/neck connection (unless of course you have a detached head via Independent Body Parts) so if you wanted to keep looking in same direction after pivoting you could compensate by changing neck rotation in other direction.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle map, facing, hex grid, tactical combat