Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Regeneration + Mitigated-Unhealing based on Number of HP Regenerated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Maybe something like Unhealing with a mitigator and Regeneration with a Trigger?
PU8 designs mitigators for disadvantages by applying limitations to counters so I think it would be:

Unhealing Partial [-20]
Not Unhealing (Costs ER -10%) [18]

In this case 1/minute is way too high a cost to be useful for standard healing but if you have a per-minute Regeneration atop this it would be fine.

Actually maybe another way would work... PU8p5 has "only while using (ability)" as -10% so applying this to either Regeneration or Not Unhealing could work.

It feels like cheating in some way to do this though... at least for passive abilities with essentially no detriment to keeping on. Stuff like "only while flying" is a drawback because flying is obvious and shows you're a superhero.

Given the text "neither can have a Link" to me this implies pretty strongly that both abilities need to be switchable, so you would need to take Switchable +10% on both Regeneration and Not Unhealing to be able to take a "only while using X" limitation.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #12
RyanW

Default Re: Regeneration + Mitigated-Unhealing based on Number of HP Regenerated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Given the text "neither can have a Link" to me this implies pretty strongly that both abilities need to be switchable, so you would need to take Switchable +10% on both Regeneration and Not Unhealing to be able to take a "only while using X" limitation.
Any sort of "only while X" limitation on a normally always on ability without anything else that makes it switchable makes it function as always on any time the X criteria is fulfilled. You only need Switchable if the power can be toggled on and off while the criteria is fulfilled.

For example, Extra Arms (Only while playing piano, Switchable) means you can choose to have extra arms while playing the piano, while Extra Arms (Only while playing the piano) means you can't play the piano without sprouting extra arms.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
watsonsword

Note on Terminology: I didn’t know Zoid was already a franchise. I used Google Translate to find a Greek word meaning "likeness of a life form." I renamed the creature to Prosoid, meaning "likeness of a person." The NPCs are now called Prosoids.

I think I've figured out how to do the point cost! I want you to tell me if it's all sound.

I got it from the point costs of what I like to call 'hyperbolic-advantages': unlimited versions of leveled advantages—Extended-Lifespan vs Ageless, Fearlessness vs Unfazeable, etc.

In both cases, the hyperbolic-advantage costs 8x the leveled advantage. If we treat Regeneration as a hyperbolic-advantage, then you could turn it into a leveled-advantage costing 1/8 its points per level.

So how many HP per level can you regenerate? If a hyperbolic-advantage is unlimited, then Regeneration should save you from certain death—in theory, not practice! That's 6x HP at level 8—the point at which the hyperbolic-advantage becomes more economical. 6/8 is 0.75 = you are limited to regenerating 75% of HP per level.

This would put leveled regeneration at...

Level 1: 12.5% point cost: 0.75x HP
Level 2: 25.0% point cost: 1.5x HP
Level 3: 37.5% point cost: 2.25x HP
Level 4: 50.0% point cost: 3x HP
Level 5: 62.5% point cost: 3.75x HP
Level 6: 75.0% point cost: 4.5x HP
Level 7: 87.5% point cost: 5.25x HP

Just apply these values to Regeneration under the limitation Mitigator: Cached-Treatment. "Cached-Treatment is a drug or treatment you take that does not expire with time. Instead, it is used up by the action of the advantage, and thus has its own value you need to track. In the case of Regeneration, said value is the number of HP that can be regenerated before needing another treatment."
watsonsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:29 AM   #14
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
I would use Healing (or regeneration) + Costs Energy Reserve (not Fatigue). This ER would be the "substance". So, when you run out of ER you can heal no more.
This is the way to go, and acquiring a substance to replenish your ER would be a special recharge limitation.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #15
Plane

another idea might be to take "Aftermath: Unhealing" which is 1/2 the value it'd be as a Temporary Disadvantage, and lasts 10 minutes or however long you had your Regeneration on, whichever is longer

To do this you would need some kind of limitation on how long Regeneration stays on to, like Maximum Duration.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Could this be a weird vitality reserve? That might be the simplest way to represent it

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #17
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonsword View Post
Note on Terminology: I didn’t know Zoid was already a franchise. I used Google Translate to find a Greek word meaning "likeness of a life form." I renamed the creature to Prosoid, meaning "likeness of a person." The NPCs are now called Prosoids.

I think I've figured out how to do the point cost! I want you to tell me if it's all sound.

I got it from the point costs of what I like to call 'hyperbolic-advantages': unlimited versions of leveled advantages—Extended-Lifespan vs Ageless, Fearlessness vs Unfazeable, etc.

In both cases, the hyperbolic-advantage costs 8x the leveled advantage. If we treat Regeneration as a hyperbolic-advantage, then you could turn it into a leveled-advantage costing 1/8 its points per level.

So how many HP per level can you regenerate? If a hyperbolic-advantage is unlimited, then Regeneration should save you from certain death—in theory, not practice! That's 6x HP at level 8—the point at which the hyperbolic-advantage becomes more economical. 6/8 is 0.75 = you are limited to regenerating 75% of HP per level.

This would put leveled regeneration at...

Level 1: 12.5% point cost: 0.75x HP
Level 2: 25.0% point cost: 1.5x HP
Level 3: 37.5% point cost: 2.25x HP
Level 4: 50.0% point cost: 3x HP
Level 5: 62.5% point cost: 3.75x HP
Level 6: 75.0% point cost: 4.5x HP
Level 7: 87.5% point cost: 5.25x HP

Just apply these values to Regeneration under the limitation Mitigator: Cached-Treatment. "Cached-Treatment is a drug or treatment you take that does not expire with time. Instead, it is used up by the action of the advantage, and thus has its own value you need to track. In the case of Regeneration, said value is the number of HP that can be regenerated before needing another treatment."
I think you're making some flawed assumptions. Any level of regeneration can regenerate infinite hit points and the lesser form of an absolute advantage does not always fit the 1/8th scheme.

-----------------------------------

How fast is the healing process when they have access to their "fuel"?

How difficult is the "fuel" to get? Does it take long to fill the "reservoir" when they acquire the substance?

------------------------------------

The simplest way to do this is to take Unhealing and then take "Not Unhealing" + Regeneration as a combined advantage and add either Limited Use with Fast Reload or the Trigger limitation on the package to represent the need for the substance.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regeneration, vitality reserve