Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: The "Fastball Special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm thinking, for less Super games, two strong guys could probably co-operate on the hurling, adding BL together to determine effective ST before calculating the +20% bonus for Extra Effort. I'm not sure how you'd determine who's technique to roll against though - just the lower of the two?
I might make it a further technique at -2 from the normal throwing technique. After all, it's trickier to do that sort of thing jointly with another person. Though I suppose if all three guys bought the Teamwork perk that might do it.

"Lower of the two skills" is likely the fairest method, anyway.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
I'm thinking, for less Super games, two strong guys could probably co-operate on the hurling, adding BL together to determine effective ST before calculating the +20% bonus for Extra Effort. I'm not sure how you'd determine who's technique to roll against though - just the lower of the two?
Several people can cooperate on this, as in the real-life practice of using a blanket or a tarp to fling people gently but considerably high into the air. Exactly who rolls against what is somewhat up in the air as well, pending the final revisions of the SOCIAL ENGINEERING ms.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Witchking

Quote:
Let em both roll...doubles the chance of a crit fail. ;->
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I might make it a further technique at -2 from the normal throwing technique. After all, it's trickier to do that sort of thing jointly with another person. Though I suppose if all three guys bought the Teamwork perk that might do it.
I was thinking making them all take Teamwork anyways. Papers over the "drilled together on this schtick" idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
"Lower of the two skills" is likely the fairest method, anyway.
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Several people can cooperate on this, as in the real-life practice of using a blanket or a tarp to fling people gently but considerably high into the air.
Yes, it's one of the things that made me think of it. The other was circus acrobatics teams.

Without a tool to use to help everyone get a hand in (and without someone with Long Arms or Stretching), I think the practical combat limit is probably two hurlers. With a tool (like the tarp/blanket/animal skin usually used) you don't have to get everyone to stand with their hands on the same spot, but you DO need to get everyone organized with the tool, so it may start dropping out of combat anyways. Still useful for adding throwing distance to jumping distance for more vertical lift, not so useful for getting that damn gargoyle.

I'm thinking using a tool makes it a sub-technique defaulting to Hurl Team-mate at an additional -1 for the benefit of being able to combine STs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Exactly who rolls against what is somewhat up in the air as well, pending the final revisions of the SOCIAL ENGINEERING ms.
For a two-man team, rolling against the lowest of the two seems simplest. For a larger group I can see having one person roll the actual skill check, and the others doing the aid-another thang, possibly with some sort of Leadership or similar roll to keep everyone co-ordinated.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

I found a Youtube video of four guys pitching a cheerleader up and through a basketball hoop.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
Anaraxes

Don't tell the elf.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #17
Bruno

Hm. We do have a leprechaun.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
mlangsdorf

The leprechaun usually has his Magic Carpet spell for flying, and probably wouldn't appreciate being thrown.

But I don't see why the two barbarians couldn't get together the cleric or the holy warrior and start chucking people all over the place. The holy warrior and the cleric could even heal each other after they land.

Actually, given that the other barbarian's hunting cat has like 2 levels of super jump, you should start throwing him. You could get some real distance going that way.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
Bruno

Well, the idea was to give characters that can't fly or superjump a hope of reaching, say, gargoyles :)

Slam dunking the leprechaun aside, the two melee guys tossing one of the divine characters at flying problems has potential :)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
Figleaf23
Banned

I like the write up, but regarding multiple people, it occurs to me that when fighting gargoyles it may be more practical for everyone to have Hurl Tarp rather than Hurl Teammate.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, supers, technique