Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2021, 06:18 AM   #11
Aldric

Default Re: Bio-Tech In Dungeon Fantasy

Sounds to me like you just need to cast the spell twice, at least until someone develops a variation, a meta spell or an object that can cast it (and do everything else that needs to be done from that point on)
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It reads as though it can transfer between subjects without one being the caster, if the donor is an object. I'd be inclined to allow transfer between two living subjects, neither of which is the caster, though both would get to resist.
Yeah, that seems the appropriate way to run it. The text regarding using an artificial womb or similar is the only part that implies the "subject" can be someone other than the caster; I suspect the author intended for it to be something that can transfer as you described, but failed to include that in the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Problem is that one of the spells is roll weekly, yet the stage of creation it affects is roll daily
I don't see why this is necessarily an issue. You roll for the spell weekly, and it gives a bonus to all rolls for that week. I'm not certain why* the knowledge of the necessary sequence fades after a week and cannot be recorded in a less-transient form, although that would actually fit better for a more mystical approach - perhaps the "Sequence DNA" spell (under a different name) actually gives the caster a connection to the ur-type, Platonic Ideal, etc of the trait in question, giving a bonus to attempts to manifest it in the material world, but this connection is lost after a week and must be reestablished with a new casting (unless you've got what you need out of that step already, of course).

Then again, I haven't looked at the rules for inventions (specific to gengineering or in general) all that closely, as they aren't conducive to the sort of campaign I'd want to run/play in, so I may be missing something.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It reads as though it can transfer between subjects without one being the caster, if the donor is an object. I'd be inclined to allow transfer between two living subjects, neither of which is the caster, though both would get to resist.
No it's still to or from the mage. Of course all that means is that you cast the spell twice.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #14
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No it's still to or from the mage. Of course all that means is that you cast the spell twice.
The wording around containers is very odd if transfer from a container can only be to the caster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
At double energy cost, the mage can transfer from an artificial container (such as a vat or growth tank); the mage must be touching the container if he wishes to transfer its contents into a host.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote