Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #31
mehrkat

Default Re: Playing GURPS with the help of FoundryVTT

I'm almost hooked to try foundry but this fish is playing with the hook. The issue I'm having is what my options are to host.

What does my computer capability need to be to host.

Other than the services listed on their partners page what sort of services can host.

Should I expect to host just the maps and game play elements there and the voice and audio elsewhere?

Assuming your tastes are rather plebian. (get a map, put tokens on it, make them movable by GM and players depending on whose token it is, be able to set move distance so we can count it)

How long would you spend setting up a map that was ready to go to be a foundry map? When you are new? When you are experienced?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #32
Nose66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Your home computer doesn't need to be that beefy to host the software. I've seen examples of people hosting their Foundry instance on a Raspberry Pi.

Anyone that connects to the software (you included) needs a modern web browser (Google Chrome works best on PCs), and that is about it.

Quote:
Other than the services listed on their partners page what sort of services can host.
I've read articles about people who have hosted on the free Amazon Tier 1 service. Or as I mentioned, a Raspberry PI. You just need to be able to run node.js.

Quote:
Should I expect to host just the maps and game play elements there and the voice and audio elsewhere?
Sorry, that I don't know. But that isn't specific to GURPS, so any of the Foundry forums should have some answers.

Quote:
Assuming your tastes are rather plebian. (get a map, put tokens on it, make them movable by GM and players depending on whose token it is, be able to set move distance so we can count it)

How long would you spend setting up a map that was ready to go to be a foundry map? When you are new? When you are experienced?
Again, sorry, I don't know. But setting up maps is not specific to GURPS so maybe some of the Foundry forums might have an answer. The biggest issue with GURPS is the character creation, and we delegate that to GCA/GCS and you can just import that data into our Game Aid in Foundry.
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #33
woefulhc

Quote:
I'm almost hooked to try foundry but this fish is playing with the hook. The issue I'm having is what my options are to host.

Most people who try hosting at home do not run into their laptop or desktop being the limiting factor. Typically it is their ISP just making things difficult. As as been mentioned people are using Raspbery Pi to successfully host. Check the instructions in the wiki. While I've linked to the linux specific ones, there are also sections for windows and macos

Pretty much any cloud or vps hosting should be able to handle it no problem. Some shared type accounts may also be able to do so.

I believe most are not using foundry for the voice/audio. I hear they are improving the support for sound, but it may be a few months before that is out of beta.

A blank map can be done very quickly. My first map took me about 20 minutes to get lighting and walls configured. I did the next 3 in about 8-10 each.
woefulhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #34
mehrkat

Thanks. Sounds like I will invest in. I think there is a sale starting tomorrow and I will probably pick it up
Old 05-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #35
Pimpćo

Best VTT+system on the market. Hands down.
I“m GMing and also playing GURPS with Foundry+GGA and it“s been great, the support is awesome and the releases are constant with relevant improvements and new features.

I“m hosting locally. My PC:
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / 4 threads - 3.6 GHz
- AMD Radeon RX 480 8 GB VRAM
- 16 GB RAM
- Internet Speed: 101mb/download | 96mb/upload

As for the time required to set up a "basic" session, if you already have the map, the tokens, the character sheets, then you just need uploading and it should take you 5-10 minutes.

My playlist suggestion for newcommers:
- Foundry tutorial: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...YwHY4vvA_yME7m
- GGA crash course: https://youtu.be/YstMNNLwKBM
Pimpćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #36
Nose66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierseb View Post
Have you decided on how you are going to manage items?
The code is done (and the bug fixes applied ;-) )! And the "How to add Items" video has been created: https://youtu.be/cOU78-RvXdc

Check it out! Maybe this will work for you.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #37
nick_coffin

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like I will invest in. I think there is a sale starting tomorrow and I will probably pick it up
At the moment, the GURPS Game Aid for Foundry doesn't support the latest version of FoundryVTT, which is 0.8.something. We should start working on that in the very near future. But you may need to load the last 0.7.x version if you want to start playing GURPS immediately.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:17 PM   #38
Nose66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
At the moment, the GURPS Game Aid for Foundry doesn't support the latest version of FoundryVTT, which is 0.8.something.
To clarify, the current stable release of Foundry is 0.7.9, which the GURPS Game Aid supports.

The current Beta version of Foundry is 0.8.5, which the GGA does not yet support... and yes, I am looking into it (we had to get Items working!)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #39
Antiquation!

Great tools, thanks for doing all this work. You convinced me to pick up Foundry on sale and start playing around with the Game Aid in combination with GCS.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #40
Nose66

We are the little Game Aid that can... here is our latest release video, showing off the new features: https://youtu.be/QHY8sPBbljo