Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #71
Inky

Default Re: Blending Star Trek and the World of Darkness (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
A Master of Forces should be able to cripple a starship. If the Mage doesn't want paradox to fry them, they'll use Correspondence to scry the interior of said starship's engines and conjunctive effects involving Forces and Matter to damage the more fragile parts of the engine.
That is particularly delightful because it's actually in TOS. It's what Charlie did in "Charlie X". In his case it wasn't scrying, he'd been on board the SS Antares previously and seen the engines at close quarters, and he used that to blow up the ship by "making the baffle plate go away". Were you thinking of that?

The other things make sense too. I think I see what you're getting at with the third point - however much a Mage believes in magic, the further you take that idea the harder it is to entertain it for long because if there are no laws of nature at all then you yourself make no sense. And if the Mage can't bear to believe that there are as few laws of nature as the spell he or she's doing requires there to be, or not whole-heartedly, then Paradox right in yer face. (Vulcans would make terrible Mages.)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #72
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
That is particularly delightful because it's actually in TOS. It's what Charlie did in "Charlie X". In his case it wasn't scrying, he'd been on board the SS Antares previously and seen the engines at close quarters, and he used that to blow up the ship by "making the baffle plate go away". Were you thinking of that?

The other things make sense too. I think I see what you're getting at with the third point - however much a Mage believes in magic, the further you take that idea the harder it is to entertain it for long because if there are no laws of nature at all then you yourself make no sense. And if the Mage can't bear to believe that there are as few laws of nature as the spell he or she's doing requires there to be, or not whole-heartedly, then Paradox right in yer face. (Vulcans would make terrible Mages.)
Or truly profound ones. That's if they overcome the "centipede's delima" inherent in being a Mage. But solid analysis.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #73
Astromancer

I'll need to look some things up but about 23 mage groups will need to be sloted into this setting.

Then I'll need to look into hunters.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #74
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Suddenly, all the Planets of Hats make sense.

(A wizard did it!)
Did you ever doubt it?

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #75
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Have you seen "Sub Rosa", where we learn that Beverly Crusher's grandmother was in love with a candle? AND THEY ALMOST RUIN THE CABER TOSS!!!
Not the CABER TOSS!!!

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #76
Astromancer

Has anyone seen enough of Star Trek: Lower Decks to add in details from that show to this thread?

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #77
Astromancer

There are differences in the technology of the Federation in this Star Trek/WoD blend. Mainly biology wouldn't be on a Safetech trajectory. Julian Bashir wouldn't be the only enhanced human around.

I suggest looking at Transhuman Space and stealing enough to keep the Progenitors happy, but not too much. It still needs to feel like Star Trek.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-08-2022, 07:19 AM   #78
naloth

Quote:
Has anyone seen enough of Star Trek: Lower Decks to add in details from that show to this thread?
I've seen it and while I enjoy the show I wouldn't take anything from that show too seriously. It's very tongue-in-cheek.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:47 PM   #79
Astromancer

Quote:
I think I need a twelfth Realm to go with Correspondence, Entropy, Force, Information, Life, Matter, Mind, Prime, Society, Spirit, and Time.

Suggestions?
I've chosen Metamorphosis for my twelfth Realm/Sphere.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-24-2022, 04:42 AM   #80
Pursuivant

Quote:
Paradox still exists in this world.
But it might be localized to a given planet or region of space. Since ST:TAS is now considered canon, you can have blatant magic in regions where subspace is somehow disrupted, allowing passage to overtly magical alternate universes such as Megas-Tu.

ST has also established that there are god-like entities with the power to perform the equivalent of blatant "magic." That means the threshold for what counts as seriously messing with reality is very high.

Humans can also be imbued with Strange Energy, which allows them to perform god-like feats, but at the cost of rapidly deteriorating sanity. Since Strange Energy is found not just along the Galactic Barrier but also on certain planets whose inhabitants learned to control it, at least to some degree, Magick could represent local "eddies" of Strange Energy which some humans have learned to safely control.

Magick, and a host of supernatural powers and creatures described in the WoD setting could be described as beings which manifest Strange Energy, while entities like Q might be composed of it or able to channel it in vast quantities.

As for various non-human creatures, consider that in ST canon Earth was visited by multiple alien species over the course of its history. Many of them could have left behind small colonies. Since ST canon strongly suggests that most "solid" species distrust shapeshifters, alien settlers would have extra incentive to hide their true nature or just hide.

As more of the galaxy is explored, various WoD creatures might discover that they're actually descendants of stranded alien visitors, and that there are entire planets of Changelings, Garou, or what-have-you. Members of previously hidden "splinter colonies" on Earth can come out of hiding; they'd blend right in with the crowd of humanoid aliens.

Vampires and similar undead creatures might discover that they're physical embodiments of otherwise incorporeal creatures like Redjac or the Dikironium Cloud Creature.

As sensor and medical technologies get better at detecting non-humans, 21st & 22nd century vampires might make a point of joining early colonization missions to escape Earth, joining humans aboard "sleeper" ships and going into torpor until awakened. A very rich vampire might enslave a herd of humans and stake out a planet of their very own. They might even discover that there a planets with sufficiently thick cloud cover, or dim enough light, that they can act normally during the day.

Assuming that vampire society evolves with the times, 23rd to 25th c. vampires are going to be thin-blooded (if you go for the whole "vampire generations" thing), inherently peaceful, and more inclined to get their daily blood ration via protein resequencers and replicators. In that case, there little reason for vampires to not "come out of the coffin." Once revealed to the Federation, super-advanced medicine might discover cures for their crippling vulnerability to sunlight and unsavory emotional problems. Seemingly immortal humans, like Flint/Leonardo da Vinci, could just be evolved vampires. Vampires who insist on feeding the old fashioned way might discover that only certain species make suitable prey. Bolians and Vulcans probably smell & taste nasty.

Since there's strong evidence in ST that something akin to a soul exists after death, and since it's possible for humans and certain aliens to ascend to incorporeal form, wraiths could just be the ascended spirit of a dead person trapped in a layer of subspace very close to the material plane.

Assuming that wraith society evolves to mirror that of 24th or 25th century Earth, the afterlife might be a relatively happy place, with spiritually evolved wraiths free to explore the galaxy without the need for a spaceship. Less spiritually evolved wraiths might hijack a corporeal spaceship and bind themselves to it, possessing mortal bodies as needed. The ghost of a starfleet officer might be bound to a particular ship, or just the torpedo casing they were "buried" in.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 12-24-2022 at 05:06 AM.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
navy, star trek, world of darkness