Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default I was reading a Perry Mason novel and thinking about the 1920s Cthulhu setting

I found it a bit of a reminder that in the 1920s through the 40s if the cops take you in, you have no right to an attorney while being questioned and the cops can physically remove your attorney before he's even had a chance to get your story first. Whether or not the cops will beat a confession out of you depends on your social status. Fortunately for Mason's clients they tend to be pretty young women or men of a certain degree of wealth, and never nonwhite.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Default Re: I was reading a Perry Mason novel and thinking about the 1920s Cthulhu setting

Actually they did have the right to an attorney, but few people knew that and the cops were under no obligation to tell you. This is the origin of American Miranda rights.

And yes, the cops took i on themselves to make sure you didn't get "uppity". My grandparents and their older relations were poor adults in that period and were frequently "uppity" and on the "usual suspects" list. (Lots of people made weekly trips to other states during Prohibition, perfectly innocent ...)