Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Hide

Default Estimating aggressive parry damage

Hey there! I have been trying to correctly calculate the damage dealt by my aggressive parry, but I don't understand how to apply this rule:

"Success on this skill roll inflicts thrust-4 crushing damage or thrust-2 at -1 per die, whichever is worse".

First, I have several bonuses:

Arm ST 3
Striking ST 3
And the max bonuses from brawling and karate

So, my basic thr damage is 1d+1 (per arm)
My natural punch is: "1d + 4 cr" (this number includes brawling & karate bonuses, which is +3 per die)

I have been reading the rules over and over, and I think that my correct damage input for an aggressive parry is either "1d" or "1d+1". Is this correct?

Thank you!
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Litvyak

Default Re: Estimating aggressive parry damage

Brawling and Karate damage bonuses don't stack. You get one or the other depending on which skill you use.

Anyways, your Aggressive Parry damage is:

1d+1 (Basic Thrust) -4 (Aggressive Parry) = 1d-3 plus any damage bonus based on the skill you're using. So with a Brawling bonus it would be 1d-2 or alternatively a maxed Karate bonus would bring it up to 1d-1.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
Icelander

Brawling and Karate bonus to damage do not stack. Use one or the other, depending on which skill you use to attack, never both at the same time.

With that being said, Aggressive Parry does thr-4 + 2/die for a Karate parry or +1/die for a Brawling parry. For this character, that is 1d-1 cr for Karate and 1d-2 cr for Brawling.

There is no need for you to worry about the thr-2 with -1 per die, as you don't do multiple dice of damage so the thr-4 will always be lower and thus the version to use.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:44 AM   #4
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
Brawling and Karate damage bonuses don't stack. You get one or the other depending on which skill you use.

Anyways, your Aggressive Parry damage is:

1d+1 (Basic Thrust) -4 (Aggressive Parry) = 1d-3 plus any damage bonus based on the skill you're using. So with a Brawling bonus it would be 1d-2 or alternatively a maxed Karate bonus would bring it up to 1d-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Brawling and Karate bonus to damage do not stack. Use one or the other, depending on which skill you use to attack, never both at the same time.

With that being said, Aggressive Parry does thr-4 + 2/die for a Karate parry or +1/die for a Brawling parry. For this character, that is 1d-1 cr for Karate and 1d-2 cr for Brawling.

There is no need for you to worry about the thr-2 with -1 per die, as you don't do multiple dice of damage so the thr-4 will always be lower and thus the version to use.
Oh, I see!

And what happens if I have "Skill Adaptation: Karate damage bonus to Brawling"? Are my bonuses going to stack?

I thought those bonuses could stack because a martial artist may mix the knowledge & training of all his fighting skills into his resulting attacks; for the purpose of skill adaptation, do I relinquish the brawling bonuses?

Thank you!

Last edited by Hide; 12-31-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:08 AM   #5
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Oh, I see!

And what happens if I have "Skill Adaptation: Karate damage bonus to Brawling"? Are my bonuses going to stack?
That's a use of Skill Adaptation that I haven't seen and I doubt many GMs would allow.

Quote:
I thought those bonuses could stack because a martial artist may mix the knowledge & training of all his fighting skills into his resulting attacks; for the purpose of skill adaptation, do I relinquish the brawling bonuses?
In general, if you have Karate at DX+2, you shouldn't need Brawling. With a Perk Skill Adaptation (Brawling techniques default to Karate), you should be able to relinguish Brawling alltogether, except for its use in slams. If you're prepared to give up that, as a GM, I'd allow you to move the points from Brawling to Karate and thus add at least another skill level.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:19 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:

Thank you!
More generally, "competence bonuses" to to damage never stack. So if you somehow manage to get Weapon Master in on the action, that does not increase your damage either.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
Tomsdad

Quote:
Oh, I see!

Well as a GM even if I'd allow that use of skill adaptation on the Karate damage bonus to when your using your brawling skill, I'd rule the karate damage bonus replaces the brawling one.

But that's me, your GM might allow it.

Quote:
I thought those bonuses could stack because a martial artist may mix the knowledge & training of all his fighting skills into his resulting attacks; ....
To an extent, but not all things combine (otherwise you could argue Brawling DX+3 and Karate DX+2, would combine to get DX+5 when using either karate or Brawling). However taking skills off defaults from other skills you've spent points in is a form of this!

Quote:
for the purpose of skill adaptation, do I relinquish the brawling bonuses?

Thank you!
Honestly that's up to you and your GM

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-31-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Quote:
Well as a GM even if I'd allow that use of skill adaptation on the Karate damage nbous eto when yiour suing your brawling skill I guess, I'd rule the karate damage bonus replaces the brawling one
That'd be my ruling as well.

Quote:
They "mix" by having a broad range of fighting skills; Karate, Judo, Brawling, Wrestling, some armed skills, etc, and being able to switch among them as needed by the situation.

And no, you don't 'relinquish', you "use instead of' but the native Brawling damage bonus isn't lost, just not being used. I'm not sure when it would be advantageous to switch damage styles for your character.... but the option exists.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And no, you don't 'relinquish', you "use instead of' but the native Brawling damage bonus isn't lost, just not being used. I'm not sure when it would be advantageous to switch damage styles for your character.... but the option exists.
Brawling helps with Slam attacks and Head Butts, but apart from that I don't think there's any point in switching.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Brawling helps with Slam attacks and Head Butts, but apart from that I don't think there's any point in switching.
There are specific Techniques. "Brawling Techniques Default to Karate" is in the books somewhere.