Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #1
Lovewyrm

Default Crippled foot, does a wall to brace on prevent the fall?

Title is the question, and refers to B421.

Does a wall to brace on prevent the fall?
Or must there be falling down regardless, and sitting or standing and leaning is something that may be performed afterwards?
Scrambling to stand up to lean against a wall to keep fighting.

My interpretation is that a wall would prevent the fall and if not I'd most likely homebrew it for myself, but, I'm still interested in the mechanics anyway.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:30 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Crippled foot, does a wall to brace on prevent the fall?

I might allow you to catch yourself with a DX or Acrobatics roll. I'd require you to have one hand free, which could mean dropping something.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I might allow you to catch yourself with a DX or Acrobatics roll. I'd require you to have one hand free, which could mean dropping something.
Thanks, that strengthens the notion that the knockdown IS part of the process (probably due to pain more than anything).
Good solution too. Will or HT could perhaps work too, depending on the situation.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
malloyd

If you are just standing next to a wall, yeah, roll against something not to fall down. If you were already braced, then maybe not. Say you are sitting in a chair and somebody runs a heavy load over your foot crippling it. I don't think you'd need to roll anything not to fall out of the chair.

The knockdown *is* part of the process - any crippling injury is a Major Wound and triggers the Knockdown and Stunning rule, but the falling prone part if you fail the knockdown HT roll, and certainly the "unresisted" fall down effects of the Effects of Crippling Injury roll are pretty dependent on your anatomy and fighting position.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you are just standing next to a wall, yeah, roll against something not to fall down. If you were already braced, then maybe not. Say you are sitting in a chair and somebody runs a heavy load over your foot crippling it. I don't think you'd need to roll anything not to fall out of the chair.

The knockdown *is* part of the process - any crippling injury is a Major Wound and triggers the Knockdown and Stunning rule, but the falling prone part if you fail the knockdown HT roll, and certainly the "unresisted" fall down effects of the Effects of Crippling Injury roll are pretty dependent on your anatomy and fighting position.
Darn, you're absolutely right, and it's on the passage I myself cited. It IS a major wound.

Egg on my face for sure, but at the same time, this will probably make this blunder stick better.
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:04 PM   #6
Plane

I always figure you should be allowed Breakfall to cancel out Knockdown effects.

If you manage to have something to grab on to that should probably give some kind of bonus to retaining an upright posture in that DX roll.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I wouldn't. As someone who has had their knee go out midstep and just leaned over into the wall with full hands (and without dropping anything), it's not something I see as a prerequisite. Granted, I'd probably bonus for having hands free.

Honestly, I'd likely make having a wall (or other suitably solid object) to brace against a bonus on falling down rolls, and I don't make falling an unavoidable part of taking a crippling wound (but that's a house ruling).
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #8
Plane

This makes me wonder about some things ... like you can parry a low-mass slam coming at you, but can you use something like a parry to try and nullify a collision when you run into a wall?

That's something we naturally tend to do but parrying weight limits in GURPS are absolute hardcaps instead of softcaps.

If we made parries a sort of damage reduction (like how Power Parry works) this could give them some assistance with soaking damage as as soft cap
Old 07-31-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
Varyon

Honestly, if you don't mind the complexity, I'd say so long as you succeed at the HT roll against knockdown/stunning, a single crippled leg/foot should allow for an immediate DX or Acrobatics roll to avoid falling, consisting of shifting your weight onto your remaining good leg. By default, this would probably be at a penalty - negate the penalty if you have something to lean on, and change it into a net bonus if there's something nearby you can grab and you have a hand free. Say, -2, +0, and +2, respectively. Optionally, if you're positioned such that you could readily change to sitting on a nearby chair/ledge/box/whatever, opting to do so rather than trying to remain standing is treated as having something to lean on (net +0) or something to grab onto (requires empty hand; net +2).