Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #21
jeromyrev

Default Re: Purpose of Faith Healing

Thanks for the information.
jeromyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #22
Shigeru

I read the player's book, specifically to double-check if I know everything about the Priest, so he's not alone in the magic class, and maybe you mixed him up with another character? Here, of course, a lot depends on the player, but in general, nothing is impossible in D&D. There are no invisible walls that prevent you from looking into an interesting place at the edge of the world. So, improvise, it might help. When we go to a game with our company from REDACTED, we always have arguments about the Priest class characters - cause there`re tons of them at the moment!

Last edited by johndallman; 12-06-2022 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Remove link dump
Shigeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #23
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Shameless plug: while Faith Healing can't be used on oneself ("heal others" is pretty specific), Hand of Asgard for the Nordlond setting offers an ability that counteracts the self-healing penalties as well as over 20 other Holy abilities for use by both Clerics and Holy Warriors.
Alternatively you can buy some healing potions or universal scrolls of Major Healing, although IMO uncharged scrolls of Bless are far more cost-effective. (Have a non-spellcaster like a Knight cast Bless on the cleric so a caster doesn't have to take the "spells on" penalty.)
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #24
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
I find myself scratching my head at the Cleric's Faith Healing Advantage.

Why take it? It requires at least 1 level of Power Investiture, so you're going to spend 43 points on at at minimum.

For those same 43 points, you could have PI 4 and take the spells: Regeneration, Major Healing, and Cure Disease.

You would end up with very similar healing abilities and have 3 extra points of PI for spells.

To me, I think this ability would be great if it was a Holy Warrior ability that keyed off of Holiness. Paladins have always had a lay on hands ability to heal, and the DFRPG Holy Warrior currently lacks that.
You take it because it is NOT an either or, you can have Faith Healing in ADDITION to the healing spells. It is expensive but there is NO cap on the amount of healing you can do on one subject. The amount of healing is just limited by FP. So say if you have a barbarian that needs 18 points of healing, you can do so for 9 points. Great healing requires 20 points and can only be used ONCE per day. So if you want to heal that barbarian that took 18 points of damage you could do Major Healing of 8 HP for 4FP + 3 HP for 3 FP, for a total of 11 HP at 7FP cost. Or you could heal it all for 20 FP, if you have that much available to use.

Sure you can do multiple castings but it will be at a cumulative -3 on each particular spell. As for the PI1 cost, your going to do that for ANY Cleric. If there are multiple significant injuries in the party, Faith Healing combined with healing spells is your best bet.

As to Holy Warriors having Faith Healing, they can. See p. 26 under Holy Abilities. For spells Holy Warrirors can access only using Contingency Casting.

Last edited by restlessgriffin; 12-04-2022 at 08:46 PM.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

This guy: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=152967
May be exemplative.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #26
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Very nice. I especially like the use of Spear as his weapon of choice.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote