Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
Coinage

Default Power-Disrupting Innate Attack

Quick Question.

My goal is to create a type of attack used by my setting's Men in Black. They have an attack which, if it connects, disrupts the victim's ability to use any magic or super-powers.

My initial take is to use an Innate Attack (B61) as the base-line, with a type of Enhancement. The first idea I had was to have a Side Effect (B109). The second idea was to have a Symptom (B109), with Negated Advantage (B109). However, I am curious as to how to calculate the cost of a Negated Advantage.

I was inspired by the Overseer Music Boxes found in the Dishonoured series. They disrupt the brain, making it difficult to use superpowers. Spitballing here, I was thinking of using some sort of Innate attack similar to Neural Weapons in Ultra-Tech, p. 121-122. However, I am open to other suggestions

Last edited by Coinage; 05-27-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
cvannrederode

Default Re: Power-Disrupting Innate Attack

I would base this off of the Mana-Damper advantage, with enough levels to drop High or even very high mana to none, which will prevent who ever is affected from casting magic.

You can either have an AoE, where the MiB is the damper with area of effect and possibly switchable. Or they could use an affliction to give the *advantage* to someone else and remove their ability to cast spells.

Then you can duplicate that for each other "origin" for powers: chi, science, psionics, etc. A modifier of "+100% cosmic" (or more) can be used to affect everything, but you'll want to define what is a superpower, and what isn't. Like a mundane person having danger sense...with that get turned off?

Another place to look for inspiration is Anti-Psi, but I'm not familiar with how that works off the top of my head.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
oneofmanynameless

Have you checked out the Neutralize advantage in GURPS: Powers? It is for this. You'd want to add the ranged modifier. And if you want the ability to do damage then make it linked to an innate attack or a follow-up.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
Taneli

Innate Attack linked to Neutralize (Powers 97) with Ranged?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Quick Question.

My goal is to create a type of attack used by my setting's Men in Black. They have an attack which, if it connects, disrupts the victim's ability to use any magic or super-powers.

My initial take is to use an Innate Attack as the base-line, with a type of Enhancement. The first idea I had was to have a Side Effect (B109). The second idea was to have a Symptom (B109), with Negated Advantage (B109). However, I am curious as to how to calculate the cost of a Negated Advantage.

I am just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Isn't this just Neutralize perhaps with the Weaponized enhancement from Psionic Powers?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Isn't this just Neutralize perhaps with the Weaponized enhancement from Psionic Powers?
Weaponized from Psionic Powers., pg. 21? That could work. If my reading of the text is correct, neutralize just shuts down superpowers right away. However, I was hoping for a more cumulative effect. The more damage taken, the more difficult it is to use powers.

Hence, that's why I was looking at Enhancement of Symptoms.

Last edited by Coinage; 05-27-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Coinage

Here is something I have developed.

Innate Attack, Corrosion 1 [10] (B61)
ENHANCEMENTS:
-Symptoms, (B109)
--Negated Advantage: Magery 1 [+1% per 1 point, 5 + 10 = +15% = ]
--Threshold: 2/3 Victim’s HP.
[+1% per 1 point, 15 points = +15% = 1.5]
Total: 11.5 = 12

Obviously, if I wanted to make it more powerful, I could give it a Cosmic advantage, like the one below

Cosmic, Godlike: Able to negate any Supernatural or Exotic advantage that falls within the price range [+300%] (PU4, p. 8)

How does this work?
Old 05-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Weaponized from Psionic Powers., pg. 21? That could work. If my reading of the text is correct, neutralize just shuts down superpowers right away. However, I was hoping for a more cumulative effect. The more damage taken, the more difficult it is to use powers.

Hence, that's why I was looking at Enhancement of Symptoms.
Why not just used Limited by Margin and flip it around for effect instead of basing it on the user's roll? (This can be found in Pyramid #3/9: Space Opera, p. 16.)

Become a Patron!
Old 05-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
Coinage

I see. I could use a Weaponized (PP, p. 21) version of Neutralize [50] (B71, P97). By adding "Limited by Margin" (Pyramid #3-09, pg. 16), the effect of Neutralize would be determined by the margin of success the attack roll had versus the target.

I don't know how that would work for Neutralize. If I am reading the text correctly, Neutralize seems to be an "all-or-nothing" ability. I don't know how to apply Neutralize that would "scale" based on the margin of success.

Plus, I do want the attack to actually do damage, although I could just Link (B106) it with an basic Innate Attack.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

I had another thought. It would be really expensive and not exactly RAW though. You could have Side Effect + Negated Advantage! (Only Powers, -40%). Wildcard enhancements would be 4x as expensive, but let you do anything the base trait could do. It might be a neater methodology.

Become a Patron!

Tags
brute-force attacks, deliberate crippling