Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Swordmage build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
😕 I've always included "gadget" in write-ups before putting any of the special mods on the affected advantage. Maybe I'm the only one?
You and your ilk are quite kind to GM's. Doing so really helps with looking things up.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #22
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I was just going to say this. Also note that if you can't replace a gadget, you get a -25% modifier for unique, which in my opinion is the most dangerous modifier to put on a gadget.
If combined with Can Be Stolen but NOT Breakable, it amounts to "can be compelled to recover gadget without access to powers."

It can get particularly interesting when using the Limitated Enhancements rule.
Burning Attack (Uncontrollable, Not Uncontrollable (Gadget, Can Be Stolen, Unique))
Old 02-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
😕 I've always included "gadget" in write-ups before putting any of the special mods on the affected advantage. Maybe I'm the only one?
That's also my inclination*. I'd need to check my books to see how these things tend to be officially written up, but I do know on the forums some posters will simply mark these as Breakable and Can Be Stolen, with no mention of Gadget to be found.

*Honestly, I'm more inclined to just lump them (and possibly some other Limitations) into a single Limitation that holds the name of the Gadget, then make a note later as to what Limitations are involved in that. This often looks cleaner on the write-up, but is more useful if the Gadget is used for multiple abilities than if it's used for just one (as for a ring that grants you Flight, DR (Force Field), and a burning Innate Attack, but not so much for a ring that provides only one of those).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If combined with Can Be Stolen but NOT Breakable, it amounts to "can be compelled to recover gadget without access to powers."

It can get particularly interesting when using the Limitated Enhancements rule.
Burning Attack (Uncontrollable, Not Uncontrollable (Gadget, Can Be Stolen, Unique))
Yeah, that's just begging to be used as a plot device.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #24
Emerald Cat

The Requires(item) limitation from GURPS Power-Ups 8: Limitations would be a good way to represent this.

Last edited by Emerald Cat; 02-22-2021 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Overlooked Requires(item) orginally.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #25
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, that's just begging to be used as a plot device.
That's sort of the point. I don't think I would even allow Breakable and Unique on a gadget. It's basically either free points or a forced retirement for the character.

I'd no more allow it than a 500 point super with a single 2500 point ability with Single Use (x1/5).
Old 02-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #26
dcarson

I'd allow it for a minor gadget. If the total cost is 10 points if it happens to go away after enough sessions that they've earned 20 points it hurts but doesn't ruin the character. No worse than a character losing a eye or such. If they want to make a new character fine if they want to continue also fine.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:23 AM   #27
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I'd allow it for a minor gadget. If the total cost is 10 points if it happens to go away after enough sessions that they've earned 20 points it hurts but doesn't ruin the character. No worse than a character losing a eye or such. If they want to make a new character fine if they want to continue also fine.
I was think more Green Lantern, where losing the gadget means losing a big chunk of the character's capabilities, but I could agree with what you're saying given that sort of situation. Though we are getting way off the original topic, at this point.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:59 AM   #28
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
The Requires(item) limitation from GURPS Power-Ups 8: Limitations would be a good way to represent this.
This is a great call!

Just to show what a great call it is, here's the relevant text from Power Ups 8: Limitations (p5):

Quote:
Requires (item): This variant of “Requires material component”
(above) suits abilities that seem like they should use
gadget limitations (pp. B116-117) but actually work with any
piece of appropriate mundane equipment. For example, a
super-archer with a special, custom bow would buy his Innate
Attack with gadget limitations. However, one who can pick up
any bow and make unrealistic shots would use Accessibility,
Requires bow; if his bow is stolen or damaged, he can just run
into a sporting goods shop and grab another. -10%.
This solution also has the huge benefit of letting Anders get around his discomfort with the Gadget limitation :)

I would give it "Accessibility, Requires Sword" for -10%, and then add "Accessibility, Sword must be dedicated via 8hr ritual" for, say, -5% (Arguably -10% if the GM is really keen to hose you in that 8hr period while you're dedicating a new sword...)

Last edited by Joe; 02-23-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:04 AM   #29
Joe

Just to add one more thought:

Another argument for increasing "Accessibility: Sword must be dedicated in 8hr ritual" to -10% might be that the ritual itself requires, not just time and money, but also a modest point investment. I'm not sure if anyone would buy that, but it's a thought.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:19 AM   #30
Phantasm

Seems like a good case of Magic-as-Powers with the -20% power modifier (Requires Material Components, -10%; Magical, -10%) suggested earlier, which as indicated makes a lot of the math easy when creating the spells.

Keep It S---ly Simple, the KISS principle. :)

My first impulse was Imbuements, actually, but I'm not sure how Anders would react to that suggestion. Throwing it out there as a possibility, tho.

(I can't think of an adverb that starts with an "s" which isn't insulting, though.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations