Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
Iago_Smith

Default Hello! My first post and a setting idea.

Hi Everyone. This is my first post. I’ve recently discovered GURPS for myself and have decided to use it for a new campaign setting I’ll be running in a few months.

It’ll be an FTL space exploration campaign set in the 24th century.

For the most part, the aliens are based on hominids. 80 to 150 thousand years ago the “Greys” visited Earth and transplanted Neanderthals (the Korvala), Denisovans (the Arakka), and a species engineered by the Greys (the Dhani; humans with scales and feathers instead of hair) to other worlds within 30 parsecs of Earth. The Greys are mostly gone from this part of the galaxy, not a player race, and are only encountered very rarely and fleetingly. No explanation has ever been given as to why they transplanted hominids from Earth to other worlds.

On Earth, Chimpanzees and Bonobos have been uplifted. There’s also an extra-terrestrial “race” of androids (the Neuli).

The bulk of humanity has migrated off-world, and Earth has become the ultimate gated community for the privileged, wealthy, and decadent.

The main human authority is the International Space Directorate and the Sixteen (A confederation of the 16 Earth colony worlds).

Some elements are very derivative, but it should be fun all the same.

Here’s a timeline.

2030 Vision Industries and NASA established the first permanent settlement on Luna.

2042 Vision Industries and Sì Xiang.com established the first permanent settlement on Mars.

2059 Alcoa Mining established the first asteroid mining operation on 846 Lipperta.

2062 The terrorist organization, Freedom Club, detonated a 15-kiloton nuclear weapon in Lower Manhattan and attacked internet infrastructure and data fortresses worldwide with malware.

2063 – 2071 The Mesopotamian War. Belligerents: Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Syria.

2063 – 2064 Fusarium head blight destroyed wheat and barley crops worldwide.

2064 – 2068 The Central Asia War. Belligerents: China, India, Kazakhstan, and Russia.

2064 – 2067 2nd U.S. Civil War and Commonwealth Intervention. Belligerents: Canada, Congressional forces, Presidential forces, and the United Kingdom.

2065 Chenard’s Disease first appeared in Mexico City; The hemorrhagic fever killed hundreds of millions globally.

2068 Galant Pharmaceuticals developed a vaccine for Chenard’s Disease.

2072 The World Health Organization estimated the global population fell from 9.7 billion to 8.2 billion between 2060 and 2070 from war, famine, disease, and economic chaos.

2073 – 2075 Geopolitical reorganization and Poli-Blocs formed.

2080 International Space Directorate began terraforming Mars.

2103 H&J Brastech developed uplift technology. Chimpanzees and Bonobos used as slave labor in agriculture and manufacturing.

2130 The entire Chimpanzee and Bonobo population experienced uplift.

2137 Sì Xiang Yiqie inc. developed the first practical fusion reactors.

2196 The Hominid War. The United Nations passed the São Paulo Accords and extended the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to Chimpanzees and Bonobos and banned the application of uplift and the furtherance of uplift research.

2205 Galant Technologies, Sì Xiang Yiqie inc., and the International Space Directorate developed quantum jump transit.

2216 The NA3 scout vessel Tasmin made first-contact with the Eridhani System. Human-Dhani arms trade intensified Dhani internecine warfare.

2220 Earth’s United Nations dispatched a peace-keeping force along with diplomats to the Dhani homeworld and managed to end the conflict.

2252 First contact made between Humans and Korvala when two Korvala vessels attacked the EF science vessel Dyson in the Tacescu system. First contact between Humans and Arakka made when Arakka raiders attacked the MNDP colony on Zeta Herculis-d. These events drew Earth into the Korvala-Arakka interstellar war.

2252 – 2259 The Interstellar War. Belligerents: numerous Arakka hordes under the command of War Leader Va’eng ta Neek, Earth’s International Space Directorate, and the Korvala Unity.

2260 Negotiated peace; The Korvala Unity, High Chief Va’eng se Varang of Arakka, and the United Nations signed the Interstellar Accords. The Accords declared the rogue gas giant, Bumfuq as neutral territory and established embassies on Treaty, Bumfuq’s twelfth moon.

2295 First contact was made between Earth and the Neuli Consortium when the Neuli exploration vessel Goma arrived in the Sol system. Soon thereafter, the International Space Directorate and the Neuli Consortium began cultural and scientific exchanges.

2300 The Neuli Consortium established an embassy on Treaty.

2309 – 2332 With assistance from the Neuli Consortium, the International Space Directorate and GV Industries took up the terraforming of Mars with renewed vigor. GV Industries financed the placement of twenty-two atmospheric processors on the surface, ninety solar-wind satellites in orbit, and construction of the Bifrost Space Elevator originating at Pavonis Mons caldera and terminating at Asgard Station 35,000 km above the surface.

Last edited by Iago_Smith; 06-17-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Iago_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Hello! My first post and a setting idea.

Do you have GURPS Ultra-Tech and at lest the first GURPS Spaceships? If not they might come in handy. Bio-Tech, HIgh-Tech, and GURPS Space are not 100% necessary but helpful books to have for this kind of setting but getting all if them can get pricey heh.

Also are you looking for feed back on the setting, and or help with tech?

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

If you are basing it on OTL, 2030 is a rather tight timeline for a lunar colony, I would suggest moving it to 2040. As for 2137 being the time for the first practical fusion reactors, that is far too late for a TL9 invention, I would suggest moving it to 2050 at the latest.

As for uplifting and enslaving bonobos and chimps, you do not have enough of either in the world to make it a worthwhile investment. Anyway, they are both problematic from a psychological perspective. Bonobos spend too much time having sex and chimps are far too aggressive for effective enslavement.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
tshiggins

In addition to the previous suggestions,you might want to take a look at the Transhuman Space line. It's GURPS 3e instead of 4e, but the conversion guide is available for free.

Your timeline differs from that one, significantly, but you might be able to mine it for useful ideas to help you flesh out the solar system, and provide some alternative builds for characters.

I look forward to reading more about your campaign setting. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
doctorevilbrain

Bumfuq? Seriously? Say it out loud. And don't tell me it's pronounced boomfook or something.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

One major issue that I see is the relative late development of FTL without any development of the Outer Sol System. It would be odd to have the first Lunar colony in 10 years and the first Martian colony in 22 years and then have everything stop. The 17 year gap between the first Martian colony and the first asteroid mine is also odd because it would make more economic sense to mine 433 Eros than to land on Mars.

A more feasible sequence colonization would be Luna in 2040, 433 Eros/1036 Ganymed in 2045, Phobos/Deimos in 2050, Mars in 2055, and 8 Flora in 2060. 846 Lipperta is an odd choice, as you could expend the same delta-v to get to either 1 Ceres or 16 Psyche, both of which would be much, much more important (8 Flora would be the first choice for colonizing a Main Belt asteroid though because it is the closest major asteroid). After 8 Flora in 2060, you could do the Jupiter Trojans in 2065, Saturn's moons in 2070, Uranus's moons in 2075, and Neptune moon's/Neptune Trojans in 2080. Triton would be especially important as a source of ammonia for Martian terraforming.

With such a colonization model, you could bootstrap the Sol System within 80 years allowing for the possibility of interstellar missions by 2100. With massive antimatter production facilities orbiting close to Sol, you would be able to produce antimatter at TL11 prices ($10 per microgram), allowing for antimatter triggered fusion. While it would be inefficient for power production, it would be capable of facilitating TL11 fusion drives.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 AM   #7
Michele

A detailed, interesting timeline and setting. I second the suggestion to make use of GURPS Transhuman Space, and also Biotech. If the 3e/4e discrepancies are an issue, you can always mine those books for ideas.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
Anders

You may also want to look at GURPS Mars and GURPS Terradyne, both available as PDFs. Both are 3rd edition.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Bumfuq? Seriously?
It's a slang term for "place in the middle of nowhere", like "Podunk" or "the boondocks/boonies". I assumed the use was intentional; perhaps the place has a polite and elegant name that no one uses because the rude one stuck.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
Iago_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It's a slang term for "place in the middle of nowhere", like "Podunk" or "the boondocks/boonies". I assumed the use was intentional; perhaps the place has a polite and elegant name that no one uses because the rude one stuck.
Exactly right. It's a rogue gas giant who's mass caused a misjump back in the day, thus causing its own discovery. It's way out in the middle of nowhere, no star for it to orbit, dark and lonely. Hence the name was given to it by the crew of the exploration vessle that stumbled upon it.

The bureaucrats at the International Space Directorate didn't get the joke, the name was filed, and since then people have thought it was funny enough to keep or too much of a bother to change.
Iago_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote