Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
tantric
Banned

Default Enhancements on spells

Yeah, weird, right, but it actually makes sense in many ways. There are ways to maintain spells, but how about adding Underwater +20% to your Flame Jet? It would greatly extend the utility of Magic. The +20% would apply to the energy cost of casting the spell, but should it apply to the cost of learning it? And, more importantly, despite my searches, where has this already been done?
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Enhancements on spells

RPM would support this idea. Not so sure if it would work for Standard Magic, unless you learned each modifier as a Technique.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Pomphis

Thaumatology 39
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
tantric
Banned

Argggh. That book was literally right in front of me when I posted the question - it was under my notebook. That's what I get for searching online. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
tantric
Banned

Now I'm considering limitations on spells. It seems very abusable, but I'm using item-based magic where you have to build the potential for the limitation into the item that is required to cast the spell, and doing so makes the item more difficult to make. If the TK staff has +10% x2 extended range and -10% x1/2 limited range, when the caster knows he doesn't need a lot of range, he can cast a version of the Apportation spell that is cheaper in energy and easier in skill. That's a way to get increased flexibility. That seems the abusive pathway, but I could also make limitations mandatory, so that a short range Apportation/Deflect Missile/Poltergeist enabling staff would be very different. High skill, low energy cost, terrible range. It might even be worth making two staffs, a short staff and an long staff. It would interesting to have different items to cast different versions of the same spell, like the Siberian shaman who clanks when he walks from the dozens of fetishes he has in his coat.