Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Power modifier Q - variable effect based on margin of success

I want to convert some of the In Nomine abilities to 4ed GURPS. Many of the IN abilities have different effects depending on the Check Digit (CD), which converts to the Margin of Success in GURPS - is there a way in RAW to do this in GURPS?

For example, IN's Seraphim can detect lies. On an CD 1, they learn whether the person is lying; on a CD 2, they also learn which statements were lies; on CD 3, they also learn why the person lied; on CD 4, they also learn what the person thinks the truth is; on CD 5, they also learn whether the person knows the actual Truth; and on CD 6, they also learn the actual Truth. (Obviously, this isn't just the Detect Lies skill.) In GURPS, a CD 1 would be a success by 0, while a CD 6 would be a Critical Success. If somebody wants to work this one out for me, this particular ability is Cosmic-level unstoppable, but is unusable for (margin of failure) hours after a failed roll.

(Edit: There's another, related, question: Is there a limitation in RAW for "unusable for (margin of failure) hours after a failed roll"?)

Most other IN abilities with variable effects also use the 1-6 scale of success, but not all.
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 07-15-2010 at 06:10 PM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
starslayer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Re: Power modifier Q - variable effect based on margin of success

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I want to convert some of the In Nomine abilities to 4ed GURPS. Many of the IN abilities have different effects depending on the Check Digit (CD), which converts to the Margin of Success in GURPS - is there a way in RAW to do this in GURPS?

For example, IN's Seraphim can detect lies. On an CD 1, they learn whether the person is lying; on a CD 2, they also learn which statements were lies; on CD 3, they also learn why the person lied; on CD 4, they also learn what the person thinks the truth is; on CD 5, they also learn whether the person knows the actual Truth; and on CD 6, they also learn the actual Truth. (Obviously, this isn't just the Detect Lies skill.) In GURPS, a CD 1 would be a success by 0, while a CD 6 would be a Critical Success. If somebody wants to work this one out for me, this particular ability is Cosmic-level unstoppable, but is unusable for (margin of failure) hours after a failed roll.

(Edit: There's another, related, question: Is there a limitation in RAW for "unusable for (margin of failure) hours after a failed roll"?)

Most other IN abilities with variable effects also use the 1-6 scale of success, but not all.

I can point you in the right direction I think, but not give you a fully stated power.

Start with a weak detect lies, with the malediction enhancement.
add a follow-up (might be called 'side-effect'?) (only works on success > 5) for a stronger version
Add a follow-up to the follow-up (therefore only works on success > 10) for the even stronger version
so on and so forth.

Variable cannot use again is somewhat tricky, I woudl just go with 'cannot be used for <min time> -x%'
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
munin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vermont, USA
Default Re: Power modifier Q - variable effect based on margin of success

In general, buy the ability at full strength and add Limited By Margin. If you need to get a margin of success of 6 or more to get the full strength of your ability, that's a -30% limitation.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Edges
 
Edges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GMT-5
Default Re: Power modifier Q - variable effect based on margin of success

They look like cool abilities. I'm not feeling up to stating them right now but I'll throw in some thoughts to help stir the pot.

Levels 1&2 look like Detect Lies (of different MoS).
Levels 3&4 look like Mind Probe.
Levels 5&6 look like Oracle or some kind of Divination.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen
 
Kelly Pedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Default Re: Power modifier Q - variable effect based on margin of success

A lot of the In Nomine angelic resonances are going to be tricky, because the information revealed on different check digits is really best represented by different advantages. For the Seraphim, for example, I'd model CD 1 and 2 as Detect Lies, but DC 3 and 4 are really moving out of the level of Detect and into Mind Reading, while DC 5 and 6 are moving into Blessed territory. Offhand, what I'd do is use Link to tie the various powers together, Based on (Attribute) to move them all to the same attribute, and sufficient levels of Reliable to put them at the right numbers (unfortunately, there's no good limitation equivalent to Reliable to simply reduce the activation roll for a power; probably reasonably to price it at -5%/-2 to your roll, though). You'd make one activation roll, and see how many of the powers turned on.

I'm not sure, however, how to limit the constituent advantages so that only some parts of them would turn on, based on the margin. For example, using the Seraphim, the Mind Reading would have one level where it only worked to tell you the reasons a subject lied or told the truth, and if you made the roll a bit better, it would also tell you what they think the truth is. Clearly, that's some sort of Accessibility on the advantage, but how would you price it? I'd start with Rev. Pee Kitty's guidelines on Either/Or limitations, but I can't figure how to tie the margin of success in there.
Edit: Just realized how to do this last bit! Take the appropriate skill modifier limitation, add it to the accessibilities first, then multiply the whole thing. So in the Seraph's case, we'd have Accessibility: Only to determine reason for lying or telling the truth -20% and -3 To Skill -7.5%, added together for -27.5%, and Accessibility: Only to determine why a target lied and what the truth actually is -10% and -4 To Skill -10%, added together for -20%, and then multiplied together for a final limitation value of -5.5%, which I'd round to -5%.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 07-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
margin of success

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.