Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #561
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Art for games

I'm also working on some updated art for Mrugnak, my minotaur who I keep playing in various games.

I've had one-too-many folks tell me he's cute, when it clearly says "Hideous" on his character sheet ;)

From some angles he looks a little like a famous historical figure and a cartoon character based on same but the resemblance seems to be reduced by him actually doing something.

And here's one with a very simple outfit just to test some movement on the body shape and demonstrate Bad Temper which is also on his character sheet.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #562
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
From some angles he looks a little like a famous historical figure and a cartoon character based on same but the resemblance seems to be reduced by him actually doing something.
I'd say "Spuds MacKenzie," but what do I know.

;-)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #563
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Art for games

Google Image Search Maurice Tillet (and Shrek). :D
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #564
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)
 
Mark Skarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere high up.
Default Re: Art for games

I can see Maurice Tillet, kinda. But Mrugnak is much better looking than Shrek. And probably funnier and more charismatic. Perhaps even smarter. Probably has better hygine.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #565
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Art for games

No, I think Shrek is more hygienic - of course, he has the advantage of being hairless, but even wallowing in swamp water puts him him ahead.

Mrugnak doesn't even try - and getting caught out in the rain when you're furry and wearing armor doesn't clean anything, it just encourages mold growth...
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #566
sjard
Stick in the Mud
 
sjard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rural Utah
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
but even wallowing in swamp water puts him him ahead.
Are you sure about that? I've never been through a swamp that didn't smell worse than most other things I can think of. Except maybe a compost pit filled with decaying meat.

Or am I thinking of a marsh... Whichever it is that has just enough water (maybe knee deep) laying on top of about 10 feet of mud that, frankly, smells like the above mentioned pit if disturbed.
__________________
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #567
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've had one-too-many folks tell me he's cute, when it clearly says "Hideous" on his character sheet ;)
The distinction can be difficult to make. I suggest adding something that makes him look dirty, smelly, or slimy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #568
Antiquation!
 
Antiquation!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm also working on some updated art for Mrugnak, my minotaur who I keep playing in various games.

I've had one-too-many folks tell me he's cute, when it clearly says "Hideous" on his character sheet ;)

From some angles he looks a little like a famous historical figure and a cartoon character based on same but the resemblance seems to be reduced by him actually doing something.

And here's one with a very simple outfit just to test some movement on the body shape and demonstrate Bad Temper which is also on his character sheet.
I'm really impressed by these renders.
__________________
- Danny
Antiquation! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #569
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Are you sure about that? I've never been through a swamp that didn't smell worse than most other things I can think of. Except maybe a compost pit filled with decaying meat.

Or am I thinking of a marsh... Whichever it is that has just enough water (maybe knee deep) laying on top of about 10 feet of mud that, frankly, smells like the above mentioned pit if disturbed.
I confess I'm not clear on the distinction between different kinds of wetland. But Shrek was bathing in swampy water, and Mrugnak, last time I checked, was still encrusted with swamp mud mixed with orc bits, minotaur sweat, road grime, and a persistent mildew or mold problem.

He would have had Bad Smell written down for his GURPS incarnation, but I ran out of Disadvantage points.

Another player tried to give him a bath in the D&D game he originally came from; IIRC they resorted to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The distinction can be difficult to make. I suggest adding something that makes him look dirty, smelly, or slimy.
That's a good idea. I've got some things in mind, since you've brought it up...
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #570
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
IAnother player tried to give him a bath in the D&D game he originally came from; IIRC they resorted to
You seem to be missing part of a sentence here.

Is he any good in a fight?
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
art

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.