Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #31
Malenfant

Default Re: Secrets of the Ancients

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
There. Now you have your campaign. Start with a mission imposed as a malicious trick and come back trying to destroy Grandfather.
I don't even have Grandfather IMTU - he's long gone. No hiding in pocket universes, he disappeared after the Ancient War and nobody has seen him or ever will see him again. He's permanently out of the picture, where he belongs. The Ancients are just that - ancient history.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #32
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenfant View Post
I don't even have Grandfather IMTU - he's long gone. No hiding in pocket universes, he disappeared after the Ancient War and nobody has seen him or ever will see him again. He's permanently out of the picture, where he belongs. The Ancients are just that - ancient history.
I've warmed up to the Ancients after watching B5 and learning to appreciate Eldritch Abominations. And of course you have to account for the humaniti diaspora, pre space flight. I still Grandfather simply as mythopoeia though.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #33
Malenfant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I've warmed up to the Ancients after watching B5 and learning to appreciate Eldritch Abominations.
I didn't view any of the "Big Guys" in B5 as being "Eldritch Abominations" really, or did you just mean that you learned to appreciate those separately?

Quote:
And of course you have to account for the humaniti diaspora, pre space flight.
Yeah, if you're keeping that then you do need to have some reason for it. I don't have issues with that sort of thing, it's just that I like to keep my Ancient Progenitor/Manipulator races as well... "ancient" and not here any more (and long since gone) :)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #34
rasimus

Quote:
I'm talking generally here, not just in Traveller. But then Traveller's tech advancement is artificially slow anyway. By the year 5000-and-something (when the OTU is set) we should darn well be unrecognizable by our current standards.
Infinite Universes, Infinite Possibilities.

If you want to set your game in THAT universe, you might want to mine Orion's Arm for material. (Which itself mines Transhuman Space for near future material... a few thousand years out, and it gets truly bizarre.)

Back in the 1970s, I seem to remember that by 2001, we all fully expected to have flying cars, lunar and orbital colonies, and robots to do all the cleaning. Given that the Roomba still isn't what I expected, and an experimental orbital platform which still doesn't have a quality spa... I begin to suspect the problem is not with artificially low tech advance for Traveller... but someone has been stick'n glue in the general tech advance of this whole universe! ;-)

I want my servant robots!

(Oh... and if I really wanted to set my game there, I suppose I'd mine material from Caprica. :-) )
rasimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #35
jason taylor

It is justifiable; stasis is more the rule in humanity then advance. The greatest technical advances were in the Euro-American cultural sphere in the 19th and 20th century and even there it was mixed. Peasants in some parts of Eastern Europe looked suspiciously like Medieval peasants as late as world war 2.

Assuming that first, the Second Imperium began to focus it's energy on ruling their new empire to the detrimate of technology(why be an inventor when you can be a "sahib"?), second, the various worlds were then plunged into an abyss
of instability that cut them off from each other(both to much government and to little can hurt development), thirdly that Solimani culture was Villanicized in many ways(which obviously happened), and fourth that the demands of a civilization based on jump space hamper development in other areas(an easy hand wave) one can accept it. Furthermore when one gets to that technological level it may be more effort to remember then to invent. It probably has become a habit by then to rely on the database more then one's own inventive prowess; after all, almost everything already is there.

What seems harder to believe is the cultural stasis then the technological. However cultures do have periods of stasis. One must again assume the Vilani influence.

In any case, if we are to have a "heroic" universe(even a toned-down heroic like Traveller) we must adjust technology and culture to meet the demands of this. Traveller is not Transhuman and is not intended to be, except in local places as justified by the GM, King of a thousand Kings, Master of all he surveys, look on his works ye PCs and despair. And if you really posit technological advancement at the rate claimed by Malenfant, you have Sufficiently Advanced Alien PCs which are barely workable.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #36
jason taylor

Quote:
That's what I meant by Mythopoeia. There are tales about him, and the works he left behind IMTU. But Grandfather is best as a foreboding tale; once you meet him it is a let down. Grandfather is mythic, not novelesque and so retains his flavor by being left as an in-verse myth. Which is how I use him. However if you are going to use him, the best way to do it is to up the ante and let traveler convert itself into an epic space opera of the B5 level intensity rather then the more mundane level of a normal game. That is possible in Traveller, indeed the only real obstacle to this is making sure the setting is not completely transformed by the story which is not an unconquerable obstacle. The mythic level is simply not the level normally played from what I can make out. Thus if you want to use Grandfather himself(as opposed to one of his Macguffins which are overwhelming enough as it is) you must use a campaign such as that which I have described; meet Grandfather, get sent on a quest for some reason or other, come back and find a way to revolt against him. Or whatever. Grandfather if used as a character must be used like an Olympian or an Asgardian god to be done right.

Last edited by jason taylor; 02-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.
jason taylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #37
Malenfant

Quote:
And no, I don't think Grandfather is "sane" by any measure - he's a deluded, psychotic, homicidal maniac with vast power at his disposal and no mental checks to prevent him from abusing it. This is why I think he needs to be utterly destroyed - he's an existential threat to the entire setting.
Well, the latest episode of Mongoose SotA is out, and I at least partly get my wish... (I won't be convinced til the end though. There's a convenient way out for him...)

This ep's actually quite good I think. It reminds me of Half-Life 2 Episode 2 a bit (probably because of the rocket launch)

Tags
ancients, drivethrurpg, space, traveller