Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-24-2024, 09:50 AM   #291
TGLS

Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Thank you! have you updated your sheet?
Yes, though the dropbox may be late.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:24 AM   #292
TGLS

Quote:
"Steel yourself lad, the banestorm be not gentle. Ye be staying here for life.*"
Julian: "So for like the next week or two, until something else kills me."
Quote:
*I'd do my best to psych you out about the quantum Sargasso... but you've read Teresa's story already.
I can't speak for matrix_walker, but even if I hadn't it'd be so much of a campaign shift that I wouldn't believe it personally. Though Julian would play along with it
Old 04-29-2024, 08:02 AM   #293
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Julian: "So for like the next week or two, until something else kills me."
Julian might be curious if he's leaving corpses behind when he "dies" or not.

Quote:

I can't speak for matrix_walker, but even if I hadn't it'd be so much of a campaign shift that I wouldn't believe it personally. Though Julian would play along with it
fair.

Though maybe I could dangle an alternate way out and introduce some doubt...

But yeah, Teresa blew Yrth and Coventry wide open.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:36 AM   #294
TGLS

Quote:
Julian might be curious if he's leaving corpses behind when he "dies" or not.
Julian will also probably drop the idea if any of:
1) He's injured/sick and remains so when he reawakens elsewhere
2) He doesn't experience near death before his next dream elsewhere. The dream to Riask being deemed caused by death is Julian making the reasonable assumption that something happened while he was asleep. If Julian's sleeping in a safe bed in a Concordance facility when he jumps, he might drop the idea

Quote:
Though maybe I could dangle an alternate way out and introduce some doubt...

But yeah, Teresa blew Yrth and Coventry wide open.
It'd be kinda cheap, but you could call Teresa and all the other pre-2021 dreamers legends and only count their events as canon if you choose to bring them up. Or maybe Teresa is/was in a different multiverse from Peter and Julian. You could even get really fancy and have Julian and Peter in different multiverses entirely ("What is this, a crossover episode?" "Wait, how are we talking to the same person in the same place and not see each other?"). Or maybe Teresa was on a different Yrth that is escapable, while Peter is not. Or maybe Teresa retroactively had a different Jumper advantage that could escape.

Lots of tricks, though some may feel cheap.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:05 AM   #295
the_matrix_walker

Peter thinks this guy probably doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't know about jumpers and conveyors.

If he meets up with the Conveyor occupants who understand such things better, he would be more likely to be concerned.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:12 AM   #296
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
It'd be kinda cheap, but you could call Teresa and all the other pre-2021 dreamers legends and only count their events as canon if you choose to bring them up. Or maybe Teresa is/was in a different multiverse from Peter and Julian. You could even get really fancy and have Julian and Peter in different multiverses entirely ("What is this, a crossover episode?" "Wait, how are we talking to the same person in the same place and not see each other?"). Or maybe Teresa was on a different Yrth that is escapable, while Peter is not. Or maybe Teresa retroactively had a different Jumper advantage that could escape.

Lots of tricks, though some may feel cheap.
Peter IS a pre-2021 dreamer. (I'm always a bit saddened when I look back to the original thread and Peter neve made the dreamer list in the OP for some reason) but Peter started jumping in 2014 on our calendar (and we're not to 2015 yet).

Maybe their game worlds are actually the same, or have the same year and Peter is in his 20's by Julian's time-frame!
Old 04-29-2024, 09:37 AM   #297
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter IS a pre-2021 dreamer.
Yeah, I know that. I picked 2021 because that's when you resumed after the most recent dead period. The idea is, "Things that happened before 2021 don't necessarily need to be canon." Obviously, everything that happened to Peter is canon. But things that didn't happen to Peter don't need to be canon. i.e. Yrth is escapable by dreamers, specific worlds existing, Infinity having some awareness of Vasic magic, Elves and Lizards making peace, the exact specifics of Mars and Yaka, etc. Like, at some point, Teresa or Graham or Jordan or whomever might be alluded to, even some of their major changes, but that doesn't mean everything that ever happened to them is also true.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:54 AM   #298
the_matrix_walker

Eh, there's no guarantee every dreamer's talent and manifestation is the same, or that any version of the same worlds are in fact the same worlds.

Every repeat trip Peter has made to Thuroma could be another one so similar that it was simply not noticeable that it is not the same one, and the Peter they talked to last time was not the same Peter who came this time.

I don't think Eric needs to consider any thread cannon for the others... even in a crossover, we may be free to interpret things a little differently, and we may be right! Our characters could both meet NPC's so similar to our PCs that we THINK our PCs have met, but really each is meeting a close parallel.

Kinda spoils the idea by sharing it, but a crossover where it plays out and at the end Eric sent us back to our original thread will messages that indicate the other died and the PC survived, only to have another crossover because the guest star in each thread was just a parallel. :)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:43 PM   #299
TGLS

Quote:
I'm not sure what day it is? If the starpus were kidnapped on the 19th, then they were recovered on the 20th, he was shipped out on the 21st, and now its evening.
OK, here are my notes:
3417-02-16: Julian arrives, goes to the hospital, and gets collected by Royal's people. Worldbuilding!
3417-02-17: Julian has first dream about and later first encounter with Paulis Tatim. Plans are made to capture the Starpus.
3417-02-18: Starpus kidnapping.
3417-02-19: The longest day. Seekers, confusing Reena, chase with Tatim, betrayal, recovery, and a new deal via Ypress.
3417-02-20: A starship ride to Koru.
3417-02-21: I guess that's the day after the exercise?

And in terms of keeping time:
Bumundo, Riask: 2023-01-28 through 2023-02-17
Panogos: 2023-02-18 through 2023-02-21
Koru: 2023-02-22 (and counting)

Last edited by TGLS; 05-01-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:54 AM   #300
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yeah, it looks like the 21st is the day of TK analysis.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams