Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default Quicker Leech

Leech normally requires the ongoing contact of a grapple, and a quick touch such as a punch or kick isn't enough. If I wanted to make it fast enough to work with a strike, would that be just a reduced time modifier?

What I'm going for is like: in any second you successfully tagged your target, you'd get that seconds worth of leech effect, or, in other words, with a touch that constitutes a melee attack you get 1 seconds worth of leech, you can get additional seconds by grappling and maintaining a grapple, or by continuing to perform attacks.

Ideally so that I could make the leach a follow-up on claws or strikers or a punch or other innate attacks.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Quicker Leech

That would be a cosmic modifier. 50 or 100%.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Kromm agrees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I think you could approximate it fairly well with Leech given Cosmic, +50% to let it ride on any attack, not just a grapple, and a small Accessibility limitation that restricts total HP healed to the damage delivered by the attack. You'll need other modifiers to get the timing, rate of return, etc., right, but those two should give you the necessary effects.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
oneofmanynameless

Thanks! That was my second guess, and the one that seems the most fair. Thanks guys!
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #5
Plane

The strange thing is, "The Weird" only assigns a -10% if you add "Requires Grapple" to an innate attack, and often we see parity in the values of enhancement/limitation values (like Reduced Duration or Increased Duration) but other times we don't (like Long-Range v Short-Range) so I guess Leech is one of those cases.

I'm not sure if I'm right in assuming the mechanics of Leech mimic that of Requires Grapple. Like say if you have access to 2 attacks (like Extra Attack) and were wondering if you could do a grapple+leech or grapple+InnateAttack setup in a single turn...

Would it be like

1st attack = grapple
2nd attack = leech
1 second passes...
HP lost + HP healed (round 2) so long as grapple isn't broken in that time

or would it be like...

1st attack = grapple
2nd attack = a second hasn't passed so I just do a Judo Flip or something to keep him staggered

1 second passes...
3rd attack = Leech (because 1 second of grappling has passed) = instantaneous HP loss+gain

To me the 1st seems a bit more on-theme but could lead to more wasted time for leechers who constantly get interrupted during their 1-second "processing time" where a grapple can get broken and waste their spent attack.

In addition to the basic Attack used to activate Leech (or Concentrate if you make it a Malediction) any added maneuvers (via Takes Extra Time) also require the context of a grapple AFAIK meaning any Readies you spend on prepping this would get wasted if the grapple was broken.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #6
David Johnston2

It is important to remember that Enhancements and Limitations are not symmetrical. Limitations are always worth less.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It is important to remember that Enhancements and Limitations are not symmetrical. Limitations are always worth less.
range/duration are equal but everything else yeah