Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
b-dog

Default My explanation for the difference between mana and spiritual energy

I was thinking how to have mana and spiritual energy work. The concept I have is that there is a mundane world and a spiritual world. These two worlds are separated by a boundary. A druid or shaman directly attempts to access the spirit realm and tries to pull spiritual energy into the mundane realm. A druid pulls natural spiritual energy into the mundane realm when he casts spells. This contrasts with a wizard who uses mana which is the energy of the, boundary between the spirit and mundane realm. A wizard needs no affinity to the, spirit realm to pull in spiritual energy he instead uses mana to open the boundary and bring in the spiritual energy he desires. Thus a druid uses his affinity with the spiritual energy of nature to open the boundary between spirit and mundane cast a nature spell while a wizard needs mana to be able to open the boundary between spirit and mundane to cast his spells.

This can make for magic items that are spiritual and ones that use mana. A druids staff might contain strong spiritual energy of nature that would not detect of mana but could be detected using Sense Spirit while a wizards magic staff might use mana to hold open the boundary to the spirit world so that the wizard can use it to cast spells.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote