Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #31
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [RPM] Learning the system

I anticipate our hidden enemy trying to mind-control our weretiger and set her on us. This would be deadly, she's by far our best hand-to-hand fighter, and her Will is pretty low when she's in tiger form.

I'd like to ward her against this, which would be a spell ward, if the mind control was magical, as per p. 24 of T:RPM. I need Lesser Control Magic, with a duration, but that seems to be all the necessary modifiers - is that right?

A ward against possession would presumably be Path of Spirit and one against psionics would be Path of Mind. Is that correct?

I could also strengthen her Will, with Lesser Strengthen Mind, or Greater Strengthen Mind for a bigger bonus to Will, but that gets quite expensive.

I'm wondering about a charm that ends mind control. That's presumably Greater Restore Mind plus Lesser control Magic, plus a stack of additional energy to allow for the cost of a spell, if a spell is what I end up trying to counter. Does that make sense?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #32
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I anticipate our hidden enemy trying to mind-control our weretiger and set her on us. This would be deadly, she's by far our best hand-to-hand fighter, and her Will is pretty low when she's in tiger form.

I'd like to ward her against this, which would be a spell ward, if the mind control was magical, as per p. 24 of T:RPM. I need Lesser Control Magic, with a duration, but that seems to be all the necessary modifiers - is that right?

A ward against possession would presumably be Path of Spirit and one against psionics would be Path of Mind. Is that correct?

I could also strengthen her Will, with Lesser Strengthen Mind, or Greater Strengthen Mind for a bigger bonus to Will, but that gets quite expensive.

I'm wondering about a charm that ends mind control. That's presumably Greater Restore Mind plus Lesser control Magic, plus a stack of additional energy to allow for the cost of a spell, if a spell is what I end up trying to counter. Does that make sense?
Yup. All of that looks good.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #33
johndallman
Night Watchman

Thanks! I'm getting the hang of this, I think.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #34
johndallman
Night Watchman

A familiar problem in RogerBW games: wanting to make a physical image of a face seen only in scrying. Our witch does not have Artist skill, but our techie had a Polaroid camera in his "backup resource stockpile", and it had some film that wasn't far out of date.

Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) Photographic Memory (10), Lesser Transform Matter (8), put your hand over the lens and push the button. Picture ejects, made the spell roll by 6, we have a picture.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
A familiar problem in RogerBW games: wanting to make a physical image of a face seen only in scrying. Our witch does not have Artist skill, but our techie had a Polaroid camera in his "backup resource stockpile", and it had some film that wasn't far out of date.

Lesser Strengthen Mind (3) Photographic Memory (10), Lesser Transform Matter (8), put your hand over the lens and push the button. Picture ejects, made the spell roll by 6, we have a picture.
I'd use a Lesser Transform Body effect and that's it along with the picture. Arguments could be made for Path of Magic skills if you're defeating JUST scrying.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #36
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd use a Lesser Transform Body effect and that's it along with the picture. Arguments could be made for Path of Magic skills if you're defeating JUST scrying.
I wasn't clear, I think.

The witch had scryed the target, and that effect had finished. She had the image in her mind, and wanted to record it so that others could see it. Lesser Transform Body to turn herself into a likeness of the target would work, and then she could be photographed.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #37
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I wasn't clear, I think.

The witch had scryed the target, and that effect had finished. She had the image in her mind, and wanted to record it so that others could see it. Lesser Transform Body to turn herself into a likeness of the target would work, and then she could be photographed.
Yeah, I didn't get that at all. You could use a Lesser TRansform Mind + Lesser Transform Matter to transfer images from their mind into the camera itself and produce pictures from it.

You could use Lesser Transform Body for a facsimile since the witch is unlikely to look similiar to the target, but you'd need a Greater effect to get an exact appearance.

Become a Patron!

Tags
monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm